Suggestion for an adopted child gift

Linkat

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2010 10:57 am
My good friend just adopted her second child today. As she has one already, it is unlikely she needs anything in particular. However, I would like to send her a small something to welcome the new child. She is toddler age. I thought about something maybe with her name on it so it would be special just for her.

Any thoughts?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 3,242 • Replies: 5
No top replies

aidan

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2010 11:17 am
@Linkat,
When I adopted my daughter, a friend gave me this poem matted and framed:
Quote:

Tonight as you lie sleeping
for the first time in your bed
I feel there's something lasting
and profound that should be said.
But nothing I can think of
seems quite fitting, so instead,
Welcome home, my child
at long last, welcome home.

Tomorrow when you wake up
a brand new life will start....
A life in which you'll always be
A very special part.
So dream sweet dreams and once more
from the bottom of my heart
Welcome home my child
Forever.....
Welcome home.

It's not attributed to anyone so I don't know who wrote it.

Another friend gave me a beautiful plaque with my daughter's name, her birth date, the date of our adoption of her and the meaning of her name (Bringer of Peace).

Of all her baby things, these are the two things (aside from a baby quilt I made for her that she hangs on her wall) that she still has in her room. She's seventeen now.
Linkat

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2010 11:42 am
@aidan,
How sweet - great suggestions.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2010 01:17 pm
There are lots of products available that can feature the child's name. I gave each of my kids a handmade set of letter blocks that interlocked to form their name.

If you live in an area that has an educational or independently owned toy store, you can buy a wooden train with each car supporting a letter so that the full train spells out the child's name.

A co-worker just adopted a little boy out of Africa. They are keeping his African name but added two middle names. The man has two adopted cousins from Africa who Anglicized their names during middle- and high-school but discovered in college that their African names were 'cool,' and returned to using them.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2010 02:26 pm
@Linkat,
A nice child-sized blanket would be nice. My daughter still sleeps with the one she got as an infant.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2010 02:43 pm
Really anything that you would send any new baby would be fine -- just get it in toddler size!
0 Replies