How/why did bread and milk become "evil" foods?

Setanta

Thu 11 Mar, 2010 02:42 pm
@George,
George wrote:
I'm of Irish stock. The only aspect of food we are sensitive to is originality.

Innovation is the bane of sensitive and cultured folk.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Thu 11 Mar, 2010 02:44 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:
How/why did bread and milk become "evil" foods?

People stopped milking cows and grinding wheat and started shopping for the most highly processed thing on the shelf with the most expensive packaging. When more money goes into packaging and marketing than product, the product goes downhill and gets sporadic bad reports. Then the media, always hyper-vigilant for any health related stories that they can frighten their hypochondriac readers into buying, go into overdrive and create a fear-fad. For some reason, people just love to be afraid of things. They eat it up.

So, a little bit of overprocessing, some corporate greed, ignorant consumers and a good rumor mill and Bread and Milk are "bad".

Eat real food. Problems go away.

0 Replies

Mame

Fri 12 Mar, 2010 09:49 am
That's a good question about allergies, boomer. It seems that more and more people are becoming intolerant to certain foods. My eldest granddaughter has eczema, which is apparently an allergic reaction to something. My daughter's still trying to figure it out. Her ex's family are allergic to just about everything, so she probably inherited it. She has her on a gluten-free, lactose-free diet to see if that'll help. It's not serious but the rashes can get raw.

Personally, I rarely drink milk - I just don't care for it. But I do eat 12 grain breads - I don't see anything wrong with them.

Eggs and bacon got a bad rap for a while, then cheeses and processed deli meats... I just ignore all that stuff and eat what I want.
Diane

Fri 12 Mar, 2010 10:58 am
Hah, most of the people in my age group (the Pleistocene Era), grew up on milk and the local version of Wonder Bread. Granted, our brain doesn't work as well now, but we were just fine for the first 100 years.

Fads not only are silly, they can also be dangerous. I think it was in the 70's that low fat foods were all the rage. Pediatricians were discovering that non-thriving babies were being fed low fat milk. Lord have mercy on my soul, what were those mothers thinking...or not thinking? Whole milk is just fine for babies.
The real manna from heaven is mother's milk, loaded with fat and cholesterol. which babies need for proper development. I believe every mammal;s milk is very high in fat and cholesteral. Whale babies gain approx. 100 pounds a day. Guess those whale mommies produce vitamin enriched Crisco.

The silliness never ends. I'm so glad there are so-called "bad" mommies like Boomer that feed kids a variety of heathful foods and an occasional "demon" food like candy.
chai2

Fri 12 Mar, 2010 11:06 am
@Diane,
Diane, I'm glad to see you posting again.
hawkeye10

Fri 12 Mar, 2010 11:12 am
@Diane,
Quote:
Fads not only are silly, they can also be dangerous. I think it was in the 70's that low fat foods were all the rage. Pediatricians were discovering that non-thriving babies were being fed low fat milk. Lord have mercy on my soul, what were those mothers thinking...or not thinking? Whole milk is just fine for babies.

one of the better (worse?) examples of hysteria about food gone wrong, but by no means the only one.
0 Replies

Diane

Fri 12 Mar, 2010 01:11 pm
@chai2,
{{{{{{{{{{chai2}}}}}}}}}}
0 Replies

plainoldme

Sat 13 Mar, 2010 12:17 pm
I never stopped using whole milk. While I am not a huge milk fan, I like it in my coffee but only if it is whole milk. I eat full fat cheeses as well.

Julia Child always recommended a balanced diet. A balanced diet means something from each of the food groups, whether there are four or seven.

As for bread, has anyone noticed that a slice of bread may be flavorful. A slice of meat or cheese are also tasty. Vegetables taste great. But them together in a sandwich and they all taste even better.

Has anyone noticed how meat-and-wheat combinations are popular world wide?
0 Replies

boomerang

Sat 13 Mar, 2010 05:21 pm
Diane! Hi! Good to see you back.

Food fads are interesting. Right now in Portland it's all about meat. I don't know if it's a byproduct (no pun intended) of the anti-carb movement but really it's all meat wrapped in meat with a side of meaty vegetables topped with egg.

I was raised on Swanson TV dinners (my mom is one of the world's worst cooks). I've ingested so many preservatives that they won't even have to enbalm me. I feel like I'm doing pretty good since my cabinets and fridge are mostly filled with ingredients for meals. Thank you for the vote of confidence.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Sat 13 Mar, 2010 05:32 pm
@Mame,
Re excema - I've no clue if it is more prevalent now or more reported. My other female cousin, of those cousins who are in my age bracket, was practically born with excema, had to wear gloves with salve (or something) very early. I have a tad of it, but very minimal in comparison to her travails. Her health mess as a kid has carried through her whole life in many ways - lack of self confidence eventually being supplanted by rigorous authoritativeness, though that took decades; a sense of victimness, again worked through over time to where she is an authority on helping victims. Anyway, her early excema was long ago, and I just happen to know about it.

And me too re being really glad to see Diane posting! We talk in person so I don't always chime in.

0 Replies

shewolfnm

Sat 13 Mar, 2010 05:34 pm
real milk and real bread are not bad. In fact they are pretty good for you.

The milk you get today is full of hormones, antibiotics and pumped from a cow that is malnourished and living off of foods that are unnatural to its body. Sick cows do not make good milk. Not possible.
The combination of natural hormones ( from a cow NOT in a diary farm) and vitamin balance of real milk does not provide much calcium to humans because it is not the correct balance for our bodies to absorb . We DO get calcium from it. Yes. But not nearly the huge amounts the beef industry would like you to think we do . The balance of milk is perfect for baby cows.. not humans.

But again.. if you get a healthy cow, not raised in the commercial dairy farms you get good milk. Drink up. I order from a farm like that . Freaking fantastic real milk. Milk from 50s area WAS still real milk. Of course it did not cause the issues it does now. It was not as tainted, nor created on such a high scale as it is now.

Same with bread.
It isnt the actual -BREAD- its the chemicals. Those words you cant pronounce? Cause heart damage, organ damage, brain damage etc. All you have to do is pick up a loaf, plug in one of those words you can not pronounce and read what it does to people, what it causes...etc.

So, buy wheat and make your own. It comes out sooooo much better that way .

Real food IS health food.

Problem is you can not FIND real food easily any more. Everything has organ damaging chemicals in it.
ossobuco

Sat 13 Mar, 2010 05:41 pm
@shewolfnm,
I agree with you, shewolfnm. My last home area was pretty full of v. organically raised dairy cows and beeves, as in grass fed. They had, if I remember, trouble keeping boundaries pure.. Not the cows, but the landowners, re what was going on next door.

On bread - I like the real artisan breads (I would, snot that I am). My most convenient market has nothing but softy package bread. I came home yesterday and decided, that's it, I'm going to do the no-knead recipe that we've discussed on several bread threads. You control your own ingredients, it's very easy, feels good to do, and (I am assuming, this is my first try), will come out as delicious as the old kneaded bread recipes I sometimes make - but that I could do this more regularly. Also, cheap, except for having the right pot in the first place.

http://able2know.org/topic/133394-6#post-3932794
OmSigDAVID

Sat 13 Mar, 2010 05:53 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:
Let me set the scene:

A beautiful afternoon. I'm at a food cart waiting for my grilled cheese sandwich,
chatting with the Worker.
Another Woman approaches the cart and orders a Cuban bowl.

Woman: (to me) Have you tried their Cuban bowl? It's amazing.
My kids would eat here every day. We're all addicted.

Worker: Who are your kids?

Woman: Tom and Joe. Do you know them?

Worker: Oh yeah! The extra bread kids! Nice kids.

Woman: What? Are you serious?

Worker: Huh?

Woman: Are you serious about the bread thing?

Worker: Oh yeah -- those kids always eat a ton of extra bread.

Woman: (turning red) Oh my god. They aren't supposed to eat bread.
We don't eat bread. (Begins ranting about bread.)

Me: Well at least it isn't meth.

Worker: Thank god I can't get arrested for selling bread.

Worker and I suppress giggles. Woman continues to rant,
ordering Worker to no longer serve her kids bread.

---------------------------------------------------

Ever since this happened I've been thinking about how bread and milk -- the "health" foods of my childhood have become to be considered so unhealthy. I've gotten into the habit of checking with parents every time Mo has a new friend over since half the kids I know seem to be on dairy-free, wheat-free family diets.

Why do you think milk and bread have such a bad reputation these days? What happened to change their status as wholesome foods?
I had no idea. I like bread and pastry in multiple forms,
along with milk products. I 'm still a kid on the inside, in disguise.
I have baked my own cheese bread, tho not in recent years.
It turned out well.

David
0 Replies

boomerang

Sat 13 Mar, 2010 06:08 pm
I don't get that deal about cows milk is great for baby cows but it isn't intended for people.

What about cheese?

What about goat milk?

What about goat cheese?

What about farmer Jones out there with his three cows. Isn't not milking the cows bad and painful for the cows? That's what I've heard anyway. So if he milks the cows should he just throw the milk away? Or is it okay to give it to the pig? Cows milk wasn't meant for pigs either.

Sorry, I totally don't buy that argument.
ossobuco

Sat 13 Mar, 2010 06:11 pm
@ossobuco,
I've also read apparent good arguments for raw milk (and yes, I know the worries). Lost my good link for that in a computer melt.
0 Replies

boomerang

Sat 13 Mar, 2010 06:12 pm
In the situation I mentioned the lady didn't bother to ask where the bread came from or even what kind of bread they used.

In fact, we were only a half block from a local bakery that makes many kinds of whole grain breads. I live just a mile or so from "Bob's Red Mill" - yes, I mean the actual mill itself. They make and sell whole grain bread. There are literally hundreds of bakeries in my neighborhood. I can go to our corner market and buy a fresh loaf of bread for $1.29.

So I'm disagreeing too that it's the chemicals in the bread that has everyone so upset. Real bread isn't that hard to find and it isn't that expensive.
OmSigDAVID

Sat 13 Mar, 2010 06:14 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

I don't get that deal about cows milk is great for baby cows
but it isn't intended for people.

What about cheese?

What about goat milk?

What about goat cheese?

What about farmer Jones out there with his three cows. Isn't not milking the cows bad and painful for the cows? That's what I've heard anyway. So if he milks the cows should he just throw the milk away? Or is it okay to give it to the pig? Cows milk wasn't meant for pigs either.

Sorry, I totally don't buy that argument.
I admit that I 'm no expert,
except for being a healthy customer of milk n bread for many decades,
but I think that notion qua the baby cows
is emotionally based and unjustified.

Were u offered any proof ?
0 Replies

sozobe

Sat 13 Mar, 2010 06:21 pm
@boomerang,
Just listening in mostly, interesting discussion, I haven't seen the bread or milk phobia around here so I don't have a lot of thoughts as to cause. With the extra-bread-boys' mom it sounds like it's an Atkins diet thing more than anything else (fear of carbohydrates).

We drink plenty of milk (Horizon organic, which is middle of the road healthiness wise) and eat plenty of bread (although I do avoid the kind with high fructose corn syrup, get the kind with brown sugar instead, really should make my own more, hardly ever do).
dadpad

Sat 13 Mar, 2010 06:27 pm
Just like anything a litle is ok too much is not so good.
bread isnt evil per se. Its the overprocessed flour and added sugar salt, fat and additives that arnt good for you.

i cant eat white bread any more it leaves me feeling like I havnt eaten anything.

i read recently that Macdonalds had reduced the sugar content of iots buns by 40%. if they can reduce it by 40% how much was in there in the first place.

Cows do just fine if they are not milked. Their bodies adjust to the demandfairly quickly. they get milked twice a day to ensure production stay high. And i've never seen a malnorished cow that could produce any quantity of milk.

0 Replies

boomerang

Sat 13 Mar, 2010 06:37 pm
But isn't a lactating cow similar to a wet nurse? It doesn't hurt a human woman to continue to lactate does it? Or does it? Don't a lot of women now continue to lactate and sell their breast milk to new moms who can't breast feed?

Kittens will nurse from dogs, etc., etc., etc. Drinking milk from an animal of a different species happens in nature all the time. I see this cows milk thing trotted out all the time and to me it makes absolutely no sense.

My point is -- we're part of the animal kingdom.

Perhaps I'm just spoiled to live in an agricultural area where fresh foods are not that expensive and if you're willing to spend just a little more you can get excellent ingredients.

I know how easy it is to complain about the price -- I do it all the time -- but quality food doesn't leave you hungry so while the outlay might be a more I think it averages out.