How can my dog go this long without peeing?

jmgcc

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2010 03:16 am

She used to be at me to go out the moment I woke up, and I was never mean to her but I did say 'no, leave me alone' for a few minutes so I could wake up. Slowly, slowly, she 'learned' not to ask for a long time after I wake up (or so I'm guessing).

I always take her out right before bed, but sometimes I do not sleep right away, and by the time I do I sleep for a long time. Like 12 hours (health problems). STILL she does not ask to go out.

She will go *18* and act like it's not a problem. That is not usual, for I will take her whether she asks or not, but she did this today.

I woke up when it had been 12 hours since she had last gone. I had not really slept so planned on doing a pee break and going back to sleep.

Now I know this is bad, I'm just explaining and looking for input - she didn't indicate a need to go out. So I just drifted back off. By the time I woke up again, it had been 18 hours and still she was not even asking to go!

I took her anyway, of course, but how can she do this and why? I have never been mean to 'teach' her not to bother me when I am first awake. I feel like maybe she is just so wanting to please that even just me ignoring her in the very first few minutes of the morning 'taught' her this.

What happened today is not normal, but on normal days it will still be like 12 hours that I sleep and she will not ask to go out for two more!

Is she harming herself to overly please me?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 17 • Views: 124,117 • Replies: 43
No top replies

jmgcc

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2010 03:18 am
@jmgcc,
ps, yes we do go out 3-5 times in the day. In case anyone was wondering. I just want to understand how she can regularly go 12-14 hours and sometimes more when I sleep a lot.
jmgcc

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2010 03:26 am
Also I forgot to add that at times I would take her out right outside to pee after 10-12 hours and she would not go, preferring to wait until a walk.

Her desire to hold it for 'marking' is another concern I have.
Green Witch

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2010 06:48 am
One of our dogs easily can go 10-12 hours- more if she doesn't like the weather. Most dogs can wait for about 8 hours. I do have one dog that needs to go every 4-5 hours and sometimes even gets us up at night, but she's old so we tolerate it, and since we work at home it's not a big problem.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2010 08:07 am
Who is the lucky dog here?

Dogs only want to know one thing: What does the Alpha dog (that's you.) want?

He/she has learned your daytime/nighttime behavior and will stick to it as long as possible.

You have a good, good dog.

Joe(Stop now and do some huggie petting.)Nation
eoe

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2010 11:18 am
@jmgcc,
Maybe she is peeing...somewhere.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2010 02:12 pm
Am I the only one that thinks jm is being unnecessarily cruel to the animal?

I don't care how tired I was, or what kind of health problems I had. If another living creature was letting me know it had to go to the bathroom, I'd get my self up and let them relieve themselves.

The next time you have to pee, have someone lock you in a room somewhere, and not let you out for about 8 more hours.

I think that is abusive, and torture, whether the animal is making a big deal about it or not.

Seriously, what kind of power trip are you on that you think you can just lie in bed while a living thing has to do the most basic thing in the world?

I don't think you deserve the privilege of having a pet.
Green Witch

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2010 03:05 pm
@chai2,
Read the post again, Chai. He's not being mean, the dog is dictating the situation and that is what the owner is concerned about. The dog is not asking to go out and often doesn't pee when she gets the opportunity. Some dogs can just go a really long time without doing it, especially when they are younger. When dogs have to go they make it very clear. One of ours jumps up on top of us, barks and dances in little circles until we open the door. If we didn't open the door upon her demand we would have a puddle somewhere in the house. In answer to Eoe's post - dog pee is stinky, so the owner would have to have a serious olfactory problem not to notice.
eoe

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2010 03:16 pm
@Green Witch,
Since the owner mentioned health problems...and some pet owners are more tolerant than others when it comes to pets and odors...i just can't imagine a pet going 12-14-18 hours without relieving itself. Unless it's not drinking any water.
chai2

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2010 03:21 pm
@Green Witch,
Green Witch wrote:

Read the post again, Chai. He's not being mean, the dog is dictating the situation and that is what the owner is concerned about. The dog is not asking to go out and often doesn't pee when she gets the opportunity. Some dogs can just go a really long time without doing it, especially when they are younger. When dogs have to go they make it very clear. One of ours jumps up on top of us, barks and dances in little circles until we open the door. If we didn't open the door upon her demand we would have a puddle somewhere in the house.

jm said She used to be at me to go out the moment I woke up, and I was never mean to her but I did say 'no, leave me alone' for a few minutes so I could wake up. Slowly, slowly, she 'learned' not to ask for a long time after I wake up (or so I'm guessing).

The dog has "learned" that its needs were going to be ignored because he wouldn't get out of bed to take responsibility for an animal that can't let itself out.
The dog was forced to learn to hold its urine for a terribly long time.

Mean is not the word, abusive is.
Green Witch

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2010 03:22 pm
@eoe,
Long time doggy owner here - they can do it. We had a black lab that could go 24 hours - just would not go. Made us nuts and we spent a chunk of money trying to find out if there was a problem. Vet said some dogs just can hold it in.
Irishk

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2010 03:40 pm
Quote:
Maybe she is peeing...somewhere.

LOL.................my first thought, too.
Joe Nation

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2010 03:51 pm
I agree with Green Witch.

Just keep being watchful and give the dog every opportunity you are able to do.

Joe(wags)Nation
Green Witch

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2010 03:55 pm
@Joe Nation,
Good boy!
0 Replies

jmgcc

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2010 09:51 pm
@Joe Nation,
I KNOW - she is the greatest! I just worry she is too good. hurting herself. maybe causing kidney or bladder problems later.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2010 10:04 pm
@jmgcc,
Maybe she thinks she's a camel or a desert rat?

On the other hand, how old is she? Is she drinking a fair amount of water? Compare her water consumption now and in the past when she went to bathroom more often. Maybe she's not drinking enough or has a bladder problem?
Irishk

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2010 10:38 pm
Quote:
I just worry she is too good. hurting herself. maybe causing kidney or bladder problems later.

Our dog was peeing too much but we learned it was a side affect of some allergy meds after calling the vet. I think I'd worry more if he wasn't peeing enough, though, so maybe just give your vet a call to ease your mind.
0 Replies

jmgcc

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2010 11:15 pm
@tsarstepan,
the only time she went more often was before she was full grown. Ever since then, she knew the drill was as soon as i wake up, we will go for potty but not a walk yet. sometimes she would pee, but usually would rather hold it until a walk.

Doesn't matter if it's 6, 8, 10 or more hours it is the same. sometimes she will pee but most often will wait for a walk.
jmgcc

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2010 11:16 pm
@tsarstepan,
she is 5 and drinking the amount of water she should. she does not seem to drink much at night.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2010 11:21 pm
@jmgcc,
Then I wouldn't worry too much about it. I been working at a dog kennel for more then 7 years until I lost my job in August. If she has access to plenty of clean and cool drinking water. She doesn't seem to strain herself when she does pee. She generally doesn't seem to be in pain or discomfort or act too lethargic then she's probably fine.