A DEER IN THE HEADLIGHTS

Ceili

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2012 07:20 pm
@farmerman,
Good advice. Glad you're both ok.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2012 05:13 am
This old thread just pop up and I was wondering if this is Farmerman 911 call over the deer.

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2012 06:11 am
@edgarblythe,
deer have an amazing ability to jump . There are farmers round us that raise deer for these game parks where "Dudes" come to shoot these domestic deer for trophy racks. (buncha douche bags IMHO). ANYWAY, these deer farms usually have 10 ft high fences. Wehave 48" high woven wire fences in our pastures and the deer, when they want to, can just jump over a 48" fence from a standing [position. They dont need a runnie.

*" fences can be cleared by deer with a runnie so deer farms use 10' fences of failry light woven wire.

So assume a deer hs a big clearnce runnie as it tries to clear your car.
Course, we have a lot of deer car interactions on supwrhighways and the deer and cars just plow into each other on a dead run. On superhiays, at this time of year, its best to just not drive at warp 9
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2012 06:16 am
Most of the deer that cross the local streets are on a dead run before they break into the open. I sometimes irritate others with my caution, early mornings.
farmerman

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2012 07:51 am
@edgarblythe,
some years ago a guy in a brand new Escalade passed a bunch of us on Rt 283 . We were on ealry morning deer alert. About a mile pr so up the road, he smshed into a deer and obliterated his front end.

F=ma still pertains
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2012 08:00 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Steer towards where the deer had emerged from

when I lived and worked in Northern Ontario I was taught that I should always aim at the hind end of a moose if it headed toward my car as moose don't back up

I don't know if that's precisely true - but going toward the back end/where it's coming from has always served me well
farmerman

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2012 08:23 am
@ehBeth,
moose can make a bigger impression on your vehicle.
Glad we dont have em in SOuthern PA, a;though they are being seen in Soouthern New York and Northeastern PA in limited amounts (Lotta old glacial swamps ad peat bogs still in there
ehBeth

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2012 09:51 am
@farmerman,
Deer and moose kill.

I've been in body shops where they're holding vehicles after fatal collisions with deer. Gruesome.

It's a major issue where tai chi lives.

http://www.thesudburystar.com/2008/11/27/hunting-season-ends-on-manitoulin-island

Quote:
"About 65 per cent of all collisions that occur on the Island are car-deer related."
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2012 10:43 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Deer and moose kill.

I've been in body shops where they're holding vehicles after fatal collisions with deer. Gruesome.

It's a major issue where tai chi lives.

http://www.thesudburystar.com/2008/11/27/hunting-season-ends-on-manitoulin-island

Quote:
"About 65 per cent of all collisions that occur on the Island are car-deer related."

In those circumstances,
I have made it a point to be extremely watchful
in all directions and to drive very SLOWLY.

U can see families of deer walking along in the area
Joe Nation

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2012 11:02 am
Very happy to hear about this most recent <narrow> escape.

Joe(why don't the deer use the Deer Crossings?)Nation
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2012 11:50 am
@farmerman,
The myth busters did a show about the myth that speeding up just before hitting a moose will result in the moose going over the top of the car and not through the window shield.

Turn out the e=(1/2)* m*v^2 mean that speeding up before hitting such an object is not a good idea at all.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2012 11:54 am
@BillRM,
It definitely doesn't work with moose.

A friend worked a file where the guy whose car hit a moose was decapitated - the two guys whose cars were then hit by the car with the headless driver ended up not being able to sue for damages as the first car was not found to be under the control of someone to sue.
sozobe

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2012 12:53 pm
@ehBeth,
Yeah, if you're headless you're not really in control of anything.

Ack.

Noting the "steer towards the departure point" advice, farmerman, makes sense. Glad you guys are all fine (you, wife, car, deer).
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2012 01:02 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:

U can see families of deer walking along in the area

Not always. Many times the deer will follow a perpendicular tree stand or fence line and come busting out on the road like a shot. Driving slowly during rutting season is always a good idea but may not prevent many accidents.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2012 01:05 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
The myth busters did a show about the myth that speeding up just before hitting a moose will result in the moose going over the top of the car and not through the window shield.

That old chestnut?
farmerman

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2012 01:13 pm
@Ticomaya,
launching the moose
Rockhead

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2012 01:16 pm
@farmerman,
http://rlv.zcache.com/moose_head_road_sign_watch_for_falling_moose_sticker-p217809437636399322b7443_400.jpg
farmerman

Reply Sat 2 Nov, 2013 08:52 am
@Rockhead,
resurrecting this thread to remind yall that its rutting season in the cervid world. So if you are suurounded by deer, elk, moose, antelope, roebuck etc, You should drive cautiously in the Northen Hemisphere. (At least until mid December when its pretty much all over for another year)

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 2 Nov, 2013 08:59 am
We got small deer, but they don't mind getting hit now and then and they can go through a windshield.
0 Replies