Latest Challenges to the Teaching of Evolution

dyslexia

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2010 09:20 am
@spendius,
one can, as I do, regard Spendi's posts as Spendi's entertainment venue.
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2010 09:20 am
@spendius,
I do think that you may be right on this Your quote: It may well come down to a choice of style. I don't fancy the evolutionist's style and nor do I fancy the logic of its utility. If you do go get it.

I would think that it may be a matter of what stimulates our brains and gives us the most stimuli. It is not very rewarding for our brains to study or accept things that go against our own paradigm unless it is stimulating for us to do so.

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2010 09:22 am
Are you studying up to produce posts as idiotic, vacuous and essentially meaningless as Spurious? You keep responding to him, and that is a flagrant case of feeding the troll.
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2010 09:32 am
@Setanta,
When one studies brains one can not pick and choose if he is trying to understand them indepth. I also find that spendius's replies can annoy others but he is not the onlyone able to do this as it seems that we have all used this ability here at a2k.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2010 09:33 am
None of which addresses the fact that you're feeding a troll.
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2010 09:39 am
@Setanta,
Are you implying that trolls do not have the ability to stop being trolls and become something different?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2010 09:40 am
You're still dodging the issue of feeding trolls. Spurious has been spamming this thread and several others with utter bullshit for years. Then some clown like you comes along and attempts to suggest that there is some value in helping him to spam the thread.

Idiot.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2010 09:42 am
Many of us go through a phase of "figuring out" spendius. Many of us then tire of his posts and quit reading them. Not all of us - just, many. I am willing to indulge posters who want to figure him out for themselves.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2010 09:42 am
@dyslexia,
Quote:
one can, as I do, regard Spendi's posts as Spendi's entertainment venue.

Don't forget education dys. It is called Able 2 Know which is why I came on here and nowhere else. And I certainly have learned a lot too.
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2010 09:49 am
@Setanta,
I do not share the same emotional view point as you, if I do not want to respond to someone I do not. I do not allow words that others say to offend me! Why should I? Is there some sort of profit in it, or can it be productive?
Setanta

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2010 09:54 am
It's not being offended at words. As seems to be the case with the overwhelming majority of philosophy forum refugees, you make egregious assumptions, without foundation, and then run with them. What is offensive about a clown like Spurious is that he clutters up a thread which others want to read for the subject matter, not his mental diarrhea, which almost never has any relevance to the subject.

Now we've got you in here, feeding the troll and preening your ego with a witless contention to the effect that there is some value in doing just what Spurious hopes some poor fool will do. He contributes nothing to the thread, and now we have you multiplying the effect.

I'm pefectly capable of ignoring some precious fool in a thread, too. Which is why i will no longer respond to your drivel. Have a nice life, don't bother to write.
spendius

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2010 10:07 am
@Setanta,
Setanta is one of the trolls. He only wants to shoot his gob off or listen to those who agree with him. Anybody else he shuts off and also thinks it's clever to do so. He also doesn't know what Spam is.

Now he has rl as a "clown" and an idiot. Which is discriminatory unless he applies the epithets to fm, wande, ci, dys, and anybody else who has responded to my posts and by doing so annoyed him. And that is a long list going back almost 7 years and includes his extremely silly self.

He wants the floor to himself and those who flatter him. End of story. It's all there is to it. If he was English I think you guys would tell him but you really think about his tactics which are based on the assumption that anti-ID and atheism are the marks of superiority and belief the mark of stupidity.

The existence of the debate proves him wrong. He's just a bad loser.

0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2010 10:07 am
@Setanta,
This has definitely been the Latest Challenge to the Teaching of Evolution and ethics!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2010 10:29 am
@spendius,
All your education grows from your local pub and nowhere else. We all know that from reading your worthless posts that contribute nothing to any discussion. However, they are entertaining for their comedy value, because within all the fancy words that you use, you say nothing about the topic of discussion.
spendius

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2010 10:42 am
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
I do not allow words that others say to offend me!

It's not the words that offend Setanta rl. It's the arguments. They are new to him by the look of it but I would put that down to him avoiding them all his life. There are many ways to avoid them. Thinking he has taken the field by traducing in the most ignorant and impolite manner some lady Christians has obviously gone to his head and led him t0 believe that those arguments were the only ones he need deal with. Which he does with the eagerness of an NCO who catches a recruit with his hands in his pockets.

He's pathetic and siding with him is not something I would wish to be seen doing.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2010 10:58 am
@cicerone imposter,
Just get your eyeballs on this drivel folks--

Quote:
All your education grows from your local pub and nowhere else. We all know that from reading your worthless posts that contribute nothing to any discussion. However, they are entertaining for their comedy value, because within all the fancy words that you use, you say nothing about the topic of discussion.

Yesterday this mush was caught talking on the US economy thread in terms of happiness. To which I responded-

Quote:
What does "happy/unhappy mean to a Darwinian apart from nothing. It admits of emotions and them being alterable by experiences and thus it admits that a religious ceremonial might have a positive value not available with any other experiences irrespective of whether it consists of mumbo-jumbo, falsehoods and a class of professional mummers picking the pockets of those who are made happy by witnessing it and have freely chosen to do so possibly because they sense that Orwell's "stick rattling in a bucket" route is the only alternative and that it doesn't work.

What utter rubbish your contributions to the religion/science argument actually are you have comprehensively demonstrated.

And I told you over and over again that the value of emotional experience was something you needed to address before you start demolishing religion. Especially a long established religion which has over a very long period of time, using the scientific method, discovered how to maximise the value. And that the Church by its very magnificence, which millions have trekked to gawp at, is scientific evidence that it provides that value. Your alternaive is that they are all stupid and you have better ways of making them happy.

And for the religious experience to be efficient in producing the value it is necessary that it has been grown up with. Finding other ways from a standing start as an adult can lead into some dangerous territory.

Any argument for religious ceremonials from a scientific point of view taking account of happy/unhappy can be used for food flavourings or soft furnishings or beauty products just as effectively. And against as well.

You are in this hole because you didn't read my many insistent posts on the matter presumably because your ignorant bigotry rendered you too eager to blurt out they were nonsense and that I was drunk and needed to get out more. As if any of those is an argument at all.

Happy/unhappy doesn't enter into economic argument unless there's an economic factor to them. With objective validity.

No evidence of that nature was offered at Dover.

Suchlike as the above is all he has to offer as a response. The effect of emotions is cancelled on this thread to promote his atheism and played upon on the US economy thread to promote his leftie extremism.

Forked tongue or what? He's a troll and big time.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2010 11:14 am
That's why Setanta has me on Ignore (or scroll past-which is the same thing). Anti-IDers refuse to look at the argument that religious ceremonials, morality and ethics have a positive value for many people. Thousands of millions now and in the past. They refuse to look at that argument because a higher value is obtained from religious practices by bringing up kids to respect them rather than scoff at them.

And the sort of people who will be brought into schools to teach evolution with no religious questioning are likely to scoff. As the evolutionists on here do or are happy to let others do.

What they are after is the removal of Christian morality from the US psyche starting in the schools. And the law covers most of it apart from certain aspects relating to sexual matters. To scoff at Christian teaching where it agrees with the law, the latter being mainly based on Christian teaching, would entail scoffing at the law.

Thus the sexual matters not covered by laws is what they want to shift. And there is no need of them to adhere to those teachings on sexual matters. So they want the rest of us to approve of their attitudes to those matters.

And they also want us all to obtain emotional happiness by their own chosen methods which, on the face of it, don't look to be very reliable.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2010 05:33 pm
@spendius,
Tell us all the positive things that all religions have done on this planet? Along side that list, tell us all the negative things all religions have done on this planet?

If you can provide numbers maimed or killed by religious wars and persecutions would be greatly appreciated.
spendius

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2010 05:45 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Evolution depends upon killing, maiming, persecution and nice tail feathers.

If you are in favour of helping the stragglers in the rat race to catch up with the phalanx up front by an artificial hand from a charity organisation, non-profit of course, it proves, beyond a shadow of doubt, what a fine, pious and upstanding Christian you are underneath that patina of empirical disinterestedness. A patina I might add that is so gossamer thin that a clunker could see through from some considerable distance.

Mr Nice Guy with concerned mien an evolutionist. And after emotions are put into the frame on one thread to support the leftie position and then scrubbed out on another thread to support the materialist stance.

You're blown out of the water.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2010 05:53 pm
@spendius,
spendi, FYI, I worked almost 20-years of my last working years at nonprofit organizations that provides services to the developmentally disabled, and volunteered at a couple of nonprofit organizations.

I don't look upon that experience as pious or as the christian thing to do; I earned pretty good income doing it, and enjoyed my work. You do know about that nebulous thing called job satisfaction, don't you?

As for killing maiming, and persecution, it's man's destiny. We are animals, after all!