AMERICAN CONSERVATISM IN 2008 AND BEYOND

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2012 05:43 pm
@Frank Apisa,
The reason Obama isn't way ahead of the "game," is based on conservatives wanting to remove Obama more than they believe in Willard. They don't provide a reason for that except Obama has failed to improve our economy.
mysteryman

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2012 07:23 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Has the jobless rate gone down to what it was when he was sworn in, let alone to what he promised it would never go over?
Is Gitmo closed?
Those are 2 of the main things he campaigned on when he was campaigning.

Now, you cant blame either of those on Bush, and you cant blame Gitmo on repubs at all.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2012 07:32 pm
@mysteryman,
An how many campaign promises have been kept by every president?

Sometimes, it's the smart thing to do by realizing that Obama had the No Party to handicap his accomplishments. How many presidents in the past do you know of that had the same 100% voting block against what the president wanted to accomplish?

Name one.

From the Tea Party.

Quote:
Major voting bloc now says Nobama!
mysteryman

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2012 11:32 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I realize that the repubs have blocked much of what Obama wanted,and I also realize that his own party hasn't helped him much.
But, to close Gitmo would have only taken an order from him, and nobody can block an executive order, so you cannot honestly blame the repubs for that.

As for the tea party, weren't you one of the people saying they wouldn't matter in the ling run?
So why do they matter now?
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2012 12:18 am
@mysteryman,
Show me where I said they won't matter in the long run? Plz!
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2012 02:32 am
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
The reason Obama isn't way ahead of the "game," is based on conservatives wanting to remove Obama more than they believe in Willard. They don't provide a reason for that except Obama has failed to improve our economy.

If Obama loses...he will be ex-president no matter how he lost.

But I still think Obama's big problem right now is that his base is gone. Too many liberals in a hissy fit that he did not solve all the problems of the world. I think the liberals have to grow up and realize that Obama has been working in one of the most toxic political climates ever...and whatever he has managed to accomplish is probably as much as any progressive president would have been able to accomplish.

I hope with every fiber of my body that Obama wins re-election...but I still worry that the American electorate will screw this up.

parados

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2012 08:43 am
@mysteryman,
Quote:
I realize that the repubs have blocked much of what Obama wanted,and I also realize that his own party hasn't helped him much.
But, to close Gitmo would have only taken an order from him, and nobody can block an executive order, so you cannot honestly blame the repubs for that.

That isn't exactly true MM. C losing Gitmo with no place to send the prisoners isn't really an option. And we CAN blame the repubs for that.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2012 11:21 am
@Frank Apisa,
I agree with everything you say; Obama has lost the big donors, and must now depend on the 'regular folks' to fund his campaign.

Not surprising in a world where people are just too lazy to study all the issues to determine why some things were never accomplished.

I know Cyclo kept count; the GOP blocked most of Obama's legislation in the House. Some democrats also voted with the GOP. The dynamics of congress is all screwed up!
plainoldme

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2012 08:01 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:

Oh, I naively thought it was because Obama is a Negro.
plainoldme

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2012 08:01 pm
@plainoldme,
Gawd, I love throwing gasoline on a fire.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 22 Apr, 2012 08:42 pm
@plainoldme,
That may be the thinking of some bigots, but Americans elected this black president. Their unhappiness with Obama is the high unemployment rate, and the high cost of energy; both of which are based on ignorance - too!
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2012 01:03 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Romney's rhetoric is to cut most government services to save money, including changing Medicare into a voucher system, so he can increase defense spending.

I guess conservatives love their party enough to cut their own throats to achieve a Medicare voucher system that'll end up costing seniors more than what we are paying today.

If that's what conservatives want, and Romney wins, I'll accept it as the ignorance of the American electorate, because there's nothing I can do about it.

We can rest assured that president Romney will give bigger tax cuts to the wealthy.

I've already given up on American voters; they're probably the most ignorant in any developed country.
tenderfoot

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2012 07:44 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
I've already given up on American voters; they're probably the most ignorant in any developed country.

As we say over here -- "Only in America"
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2012 04:53 pm
This is as good a place as any to put this link...

http://politi.co/K5gqfM

It seems that the USSC was not very impressed with the govts arguments about the Az immigration law.
This is going to be interesting to watch as it unfolds.
realjohnboy

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2012 05:47 pm
@mysteryman,
As a long term follower of the Supreme Court, I am skeptical of oral arguments. That being said AZ made a good case today.
Questions were raised about "racial profiling" and how long someone could be held in detention but I am not sure that that is germane.
parados

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2012 07:30 am
@realjohnboy,
Length of time in detention becomes germane when there are no charges under state law. Unless they are transferred to the Fed system, the state has no authority to hold them without charging them. At that point the state violates the US Constitution on several points.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2012 12:49 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

I suspect that most of them will continue to get by without your approval.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2012 02:40 pm
@georgeob1,
Who ever said I was asking for their approval? They're too dumb to know what's in their own best interest.

FACT: Most Americans did well economically under democratic presidents.

That's a fact of history.

Quote:

% Per Annum..... Democrat.... Republican.. Bush43
GDP Growth....... 4.1%...... 2.9%.... 2.2%
Employment....... 2.9%...... 1.7%.... 0.5%
CPI..................... 4.0%...... 5.1%.... 3.0%
DJIA................... 8.1%...... 6.5%.... 0.9%
Dollar................. +0.8%.... -3.6%... -5.9%
RABEL222

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2012 03:06 pm
@georgeob1,
Asa usual he is right and you are one of the people he was talking about.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2012 05:38 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Who ever said I was asking for their approval? They're too dumb to know what's in their own best interest.
No one said that you were seeking anyone's approval. I was merely noting the stupidity of your sweeping condemnation. Once again you are just throwing dust in the air to deflect the point.

cicerone imposter wrote:

FACT: Most Americans did well economically under democratic presidents.

That's a fact of history.

Quote:

% Per Annum..... Democrat.... Republican.. Bush43
GDP Growth....... 4.1%...... 2.9%.... 2.2%
Employment....... 2.9%...... 1.7%.... 0.5%
CPI..................... 4.0%...... 5.1%.... 3.0%
DJIA................... 8.1%...... 6.5%.... 0.9%
Dollar................. +0.8%.... -3.6%... -5.9%

What praytell is the source of this "fact"? What period of time or presidencies does it cover? It is odd that you included data for Bush 43, but somehow excluded data for the term of the current occupant of that office. Are you attempting to imply that this data somehow suggests that our economy is performing well now or that current economic policies are aiding our economic growth????