Iselin, New Jersey

Thomas

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 04:34 pm
This is a successor topic of sorts to my old Dallas, Texas thread. I'm starting it because the location of the job I've been offered has changed, and I'm now going to work from Iselin, New Jersey.

Does anyone here know about good places to look for a home in New Jersey? If there are, and you happen to be one of them, I'd like to hear from you. If there's nobody, which I doubt, I intend to just research the issue for myself and clutter this thread with my discoveries for my own reference. This would be okay too, but I would prefer been-there-done-that information from people who know New Jersey. Bring it on, folks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 26,940 • Replies: 332
No top replies

aidan

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 04:52 pm
I grew up a couple exits off the Parkway (Garden State Parkway) from Iselin in East Brunswick, New Jersey. Iselin is pretty much right in the middle of the commuter's corridor (to NYC), so it's crowded, traffic-y and expensive (in terms of housing).

The further north and west in NJ that you head- the more scenic (and expensive) it gets.
Of the towns right around Iselin- I always thought Metuchen was maybe one of the most charming...but that's just to my own personal taste- I like towns and neighborhoods better than suburbs and developments (having grown up in what could be considered the epitome of suburbia- I pretty much got enough of suburbia and developments by the time I was eighteen and moved away from NJ for good).

On the other hand, you can't beat that particular area in terms of convenience to NYC and all it has to offer. You can park ($4.00 for hours) and ride the bus right into Port Authority or the train into Penn Station or Grand Central Station for ten or fifteen dollars round trip and be there in less than an hour.

And you can hop on the Parkway and head in the other direction (south)and be down the shore in less than an hour. Island Beach State Park is such a gorgeous spot- really- I can't think of another piece of shoreline I've seen in the WORLD (except maybe Hawaii) that I find more beautiful. I was just there this summer and it's still as unspoiled as when I went there as a child over thirty years ago. And it's just south of Asbury Park and the Stone Pony where you can still catch Bruce Springsteen hanging out if you're lucky.

So there's lots to do - you just have to be willing to fork over the bucks and put up with the traffic if you're gonna live there. Luckily my parents still do - so I take advantage of the convenience and all the area has to offer when I visit them.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 05:19 pm
You mean all that Dallas info is going to waste?

Shocked

"Jersey" you know all about already, from The Sopranos

Very Happy
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 05:29 pm
Yeah!!! You're gonna be in Soprano country!

Near Manhattan!

The Joisey shore!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 05:30 pm
LionTamer's originally from somewhere in New Jersey.

As I recall, JoeB's from there (somewhere in New Jersey) originally as well.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 05:38 pm
You're going to be able to get good pizza.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 05:39 pm
in New York City...
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 05:43 pm
nah....they got good pizza there.

I grew up on the Showa.
all you bennies comin' down on da weeken'...sheesh.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 05:50 pm
Trader Joe's Westfield (601)
155 Elm St
Westfield, NJ 07090
Phone: (908) 301-0910
Trading Hours: 9 am - 9 pm
Alcohol: Beer & Wine
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 06:00 pm
Oh, Thomas, you lucky devil. A great opportunity to improve your "English" accent.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2007 02:09 am
My knowledge is just about the airport and the way from there to NY.

So no great help.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2007 02:30 am
Aidan wrote:
I grew up a couple exits off the Parkway (Garden State Parkway) from Iselin in East Brunswick, New Jersey. Iselin is pretty much right in the middle of the commuter's corridor (to NYC), so it's crowded, traffic-y and expensive (in terms of housing).

Thanks Aidan, this whole post was very interesting!

McTag wrote:
You mean all that Dallas info is going to waste?

Well, I hope it will be of some use for Linkat, who's also moving there.

ehBeth wrote:
LionTamer's originally from somewhere in New Jersey.

As I recall, JoeB's from there (somewhere in New Jersey) originally as well.

Thank, I didn't know that. I'll try to get in touch with them.

Chai wrote:
You're going to be able to get good pizza.

I will sooo check it out!

roger wrote:
Oh, Thomas, you lucky devil. A great opportunity to improve your "English" accent.

Da hawrra, da hawrra!
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2007 03:04 am
Joisey? What you gonna do?
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2007 03:06 am
roger wrote:

BTW for those who have not yet met him, Thomas' mid-Atlantic accent is perfect, as is his English of course.

(A bit too 'merican for my taste, but hey..... :wink: )
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2007 06:48 am
Wow! New Jersey (with easy access to NYC) sounds much more your speed than Texas.

What a lot of twists and turns this has taken, though -- is everything definite-definite, now?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2007 07:00 am
... and is this the same position/job as in "The New Jersey Thing" from June?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2007 07:23 am
I know nothing about Iselin New Jersey. But I have a couple of sites that might be helpful to you.

www.zipskinny.com This site gives you the demographics of an area according to zip code. Iselin happens to be 08830. What is nice is at the bottom of the page, they show the zip codes of neighboring areas, so you can check them out.

www.realtor.com You can type in the parameters that you want, and the site will come up with housing, whether bought or rented, in that area. You will quickly get an idea of what the going prices, and what they are offering in a particular area.

Good luck!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2007 07:33 am
Metuchen

http://www.streetsblog.org/wp-content/uploads/2006/08/metuchen_nj_Pedestrians_signage.jpg

a Metuchen house in 2004 -

http://www.nationaltrust.org/magazine/archives/arc_911/030204.htm
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2007 09:35 am
Hot damn I also spent some formative years in the Iselin/East Brunswick area (Edison, NJ, to be exact). My cousins used to live in Cranbury and only recently moved out. Cranbury is verra nice.

Edison? I believe the old Edison diner is still there. Get the rolls. Trust me.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2007 10:30 am
sozobe wrote:
Wow! New Jersey (with easy access to NYC) sounds much more your speed than Texas.

What a lot of twists and turns this has taken, though -- is everything definite-definite, now?

According to the new boss, yes it is. But I won't believe it until I have it in writing.

Walter Hinteler wrote:
... and is this the same position/job as in "The New Jersey Thing" from June?

Almost exactly, yes. (Can you tell my company is going through a phase of restructuring?)

Phoenix, thanks for the links. I'm currently using www.rent.com and www.city-data.com for the same purposes, but it's always good to have a choice of websites.

Metuchen does look nice, Osso!

Jespah -- that's quite a coincidence! Needless to say, if you and Mr. Jes would like to refresh some old memories, you are are always welcome to stop by.
0 Replies