Meerkat Manor

Roberta

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 10:38 pm
Episode 5 spoiler alert!

In a word, oy.

For those who've asked for details:

Turns out that the family had gotten too big. The territory couldn't sustain the food needs of forty meerkats. (There was a drought and pickings were slim.) Flower, Zaphod, and about 20 other members of the clan just disappeared. They left behind 2 three-week-old pups who emerged from the burrow for the first time. I said to myself, "Flower left pups. How would they nurse?!" Daisy, one of Flower's daughters was able to nurse them. Len and Squiggey. Squiggey had a malformation in his leg and couldn't walk well.

Rocket Dog, one of Flower's younger daughters took over leadership of the remaining family. Her inexperience showed. The first foraging expedition that the pups joined was a problem. Neither pup was able to keep up. Mitch (my hero) carried them to the spot. Nobody gave the pups any food despite their begging.

Guard duty was slack. A hawk was spotted. The family ran for cover but left the pups unprotected. Len was shown being carried off in the talons of the hawk.

Rocket Dog was on watch later, when she felt the gaze of two steely eyes. Houdini was back. He had shtupped Flower, and was now after the daughter. Houdini stared at Dog. Dog stared and Houdini. So much for guard duty.

Later Houdini returned with some of his cronies from the Zappas. More shtupping.

The foraging expeditions were disastrous. Not enough to eat. The meerkats took to eating ants. Nothing for Squiggey. It got late. The group went back to the burrow and abandoned Squiggey in the desert. He was not seen again.

I have no illusions about a lame animal surviving in the wild. Unlikely. But this was harsh.

I assume that Flower and Zaphod did what they did for survival purposes. Harsh.

Nature is harsh.

If people tune in to this show expecting to see cute animals, they'll see cute animals in dire conditions. Not cute.

The narrator at the end raised the question of what would happen to the Whiskers if all the remaining females were impregnated by Zappas.

I had to wonder what might have happened to the pups if Flower hadn't left. We'll never know.

Throwing in another oy.

Gotta say that this is a wonderful show, but not easy to watch.
0 Replies

justcallmeblue

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2007 07:10 am
kermit wrote:
Yeah, sure thing...I think it's safe to do that...

They should get spoiler HTML code in here, tho!! Laughing

And it is sooo funny, it is through M-Manor that I actually know what: "anthropomorphic" means now...a lot of people have mentioned it...HA!

eh. i felt i should mention that furrie anthropomorphs have been popping up on the internet of meercat manor.

i can never look at flower the same way again...
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 02:37 pm
I just saw that episode 5 rerun...

This is terrible! I can't watch anymore.

Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 02:45 pm
Bella, I kept watching. Episode five was not the worst of it.

Not going to discuss details for those who may be catching up. Life is harsh.
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 02:48 pm
The first year of Merkat Manor was great. The second year we stopped watching.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 02:51 pm
It's just too....real. I know animals die but I don't like to see it.

Sad
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 03:41 pm
This is very rough. Very.

I'd recommend Orangutan Island. The animals are charming, smart, and very human-like. The characters are wonderful.

This is not a natural environment for orangutans. Orphaned animals are nursed to the point where they can take care of themselves. They're then released on a protected island. They're brought food. They're watched. The society that develops is not the way things would be in the wild. Orangs are usually isolated. The social and personal dynamics are fascinating. However, illness is a problem.

Oy.

On second thought, maybe we should stick to cartoons.
0 Replies