Meerkat Manor

Roberta

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 04:13 pm
I'll be there. The show is on Friday nights here in NYC.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 04:58 pm
gosh.
I have seen ads for this on the internet, but I never knew it was so popular.
I must be missing out on something here..
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 05:51 pm
You are, shewolf. This is a wonderful show. Interesting, dynamic characters. Actual suspense. The kind of stuff you can't make up.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2007 01:16 am
Kermit, I'm gonna take a chance and discuss the show on this thread. I think we've given sufficient warning. I'll wait until you've seen the most recent episode before I comment--other than to say a big time oy.

As a general comment, the show is fascinating simply because these animals are distinct and their lives are complex. No villains in my book. Everybody is doing what they're supposed to be doing. Fact is, I resist all the anthropomorphication (is that a word?) imposed by the producers. I think things are interesting enough without that.
0 Replies

kermit

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2007 09:01 am
Yeah, sure thing...I think it's safe to do that...

They should get spoiler HTML code in here, tho!! Laughing

And it is sooo funny, it is through M-Manor that I actually know what: "anthropomorphic" means now...a lot of people have mentioned it...HA!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2007 02:59 pm
Kermit, Did you see episode 3? I won't be a spoiler for you.
0 Replies

Aa

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2007 04:48 pm
I've been a Meerkat Manor fan for quite a while. As a certified Meerkat fan, I have two meerkat calendars on the mantle of my fireplace, as well as three tiny standing meerkat figurines. A while back, I gave a stuffed meerkat toy to one of my closest Internet buddies. I also have a 2002 issue of National Geographic which features the meerkats in this Cambridge study.

Here in California, Meerkat Manor is shown on Friday evening, with a few repeats periodically until late Monday morning. Having read some of the Meerkat Manor blogs, I've already read a few things that will happen in future.

As to distinguishing one meerkat from another, I've noticed that there are some individual patterns of spots, but it takes a while to notice and learn them.

Another thing I've picked up is that the narration shows a positive bias toward the Whiskers family. For example, a territorial raid by another family might be called "vicious", but one done by the Whiskers is described as necessary to their survival.

Whenever anything meerkats do something that would be considered barbaric, tragic, or brutal by human standards, the narrator softens the blow by tempering the description.

One contradiction I've heard is that meerkats get all the liquid they need by eating insects and such, but other episodes show the meerkats going to the local watering hole to drink.

In Southern California, there is a meerkat preserve, but their names are Swahili. Part of the charm of the Meerkat Manor names is their connection (apparently having no gender-related limitation) with notables from European history and its predecessors.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2007 06:16 pm
Aa, Another meerkat fan. I've been interested in these animals before there was Meerkat Manor. I love the show. The personalities are distinct. The society is interesting. I dislike words like "vicious." Inappropriate. Not vicious to protect your territory.

I miss Shakespeare. My hero from season 1. A teeny tiny animal survived a cobra bite and went on to defend his family. Whatta guy.

I'm a human, so I can't help feeling bad for what has befallen Mozart and her pups. Is Daisy a villain? Or is she just securing her position in the group.
0 Replies

Aa

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2007 09:47 pm
Roberta,

My first sight of a meerkat was years ago at the San Diego zoo, where I was captivated by the sight of a single meerkat gazing up at the sky doing sentry duty while the others went about their other activities.

I know what you mean about little Shakespeare. He was much beloved by so many people. My own favored pup was Blossom, so full of courage, a sense of adventure, and eagerness to live life to its fullest. And I still think of Bubble (as in Bubble and Squeak). I won't be any more specific than this, because I don't want to create spoilers for those who will be seeing repeat episodes or DVDs.

I checked Amazon.com, and there seems to be a paucity of books about meerkats. But wait ... one of these days, these charming critters will appear everywhere on T-shirts, mugs, and other such kitsch.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2007 11:15 pm
Aa, I envy you having seen these critters in the flesh. I have to remind myself how small they are.

I think that Kermit and I have given sufficient warning that spoilers lie ahead. There must be someplace that we can discuss this show and these animals.

Dare I ask where Yossarian is? Not one of your more reliable babysitters.

Watching this show reminds me what a struggle life is for every creature. The guards must look up for birds of prey. And to the ground for snakes. I'm not clear about their water needs. I would think that animals that get liquid from their food would drink on the rare occasion that they have a water source in front of them. On the Kalahari, I would think there are precious few of these.
0 Replies

kermit

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2007 08:55 am
Quote:
As to distinguishing one meerkat from another, I've noticed that there are some individual patterns of spots, but it takes a while to notice and learn them...

Yeah...it is kinda like identifying whales by their flukes, huh!?

Quote:
I think that Kermit and I have given sufficient warning that spoilers lie ahead. There must be someplace that we can discuss this show and these animals...

Yes...RIGHT HERE!! Very Happy

We can just do this:

**SPOILER ALERT**

TEXT, TEXT, TEXT, Blah...Blah...Blah!!! (And, I have seen Ep. 3...so have at it!!) :wink:
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2007 02:13 pm
Flower is pregnant AGAIN!!

Mozart's pups are dead. Kinkajou (another of Flower's daughters) will soon have her own pups and be the female leader of the small clan she joined. I wonder if Mozart will stay there. Where else would she or could she go?

Based on Flower's behavior, I assume that female alphas don't tolerate any other females procreating. Life on the Kalahari is complicated--and not pretty.

Mozart would be welcome to join me here. Meerkat in Manhattan, coming next fall on Animal Planet. Not really. Don't have a supply of scorpions, millipedes and grubs for food. And I don't like the idea of wild animals as pets. But I'm worried about her future.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2007 05:37 am
EPISODE 4. If you haven't seen it, don't read this.

My heart broke for Carlos, who was quite the roue last season. He must have been in agony.

Shocker! Flower was unfaithful to Zaphod? Maybe she was just considering it. Never thought that would happen. Trying not to apply my human morality to a meerkat. Not quite sure how to do it, though.
0 Replies

Aa

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2007 05:43 pm
Alas, poor Carlos - I knew him. [nudge-nudge wink-wink: And more than a few of the lady meerkats "knew" him, too] It was always fun to see Carlos & Yossarian (sp?) & young Mitch go out on their lusty young bachelor rambles. -- It was an "Aw-w-w-w" moment for me, seeing Mozart loyally staying with him during the weakness and agonies he suffered after the old war wound on his face became infected.

It was shocking for me, too, seeing Flower in an illicit romantic interlude with a meerkat other than Zaphod. I know it can be argued that we should not apply human morality to other creatures in their own habitat, but I do so without much hesitation. I just put into effect "willing suspension of disbelief", a term I learned as an undergraduate in an English Department. I also find "life lessons" in some of the meerkat stories, but that would not be possible if I were to take only a zoological approach.

The editors are kind to us, both to children and others of delicate sensibilities. They pointed out just before Flower's brief "affair" that Zaphod had been both ignoring her and stealing her food. And after the affair, the editors commented that a benefit might be that Flower's blood line would now include the genetic material of a meerkat who was strong, clver, and brave enough to get through the defensive ranks of 30 or so meerkats in the Whiskers family

And now the teaser: Flower is missing. Stay tuned . . .
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2007 12:43 am
Aa, You and Carlos?! Whoda thunk? I knew he got around (big time), but I had no idea he was crossing species lines. What a guy. I too was touched by Mozart's tenderness and loyalty. Sorry to see him go. I wonder what will happen to that little clan without an alpha male.

Ah, yes. I too learned about willing suspension of disbelief in undergraduate English. Happy to suspend when the circumstances are right. I have a mental image of Flower, and infidelity doesn't fit it, even though Zaphod has been less than attentive. She's like a teeny weeny fuzzy role model. Strong, decisive, loyal, loving.

I heard and absorbed the comments about Houdini and how his genes might be a good thing for the group. Still can't get my head around it.

I missed the teaser. What you do mean Flower is missing? Oy.

I find life lessons in the meerkat lives. I'm undaunted by the nonhuman aspect of it. Life is life. Nature is nature. And meerkats is meerkats.

Love this show. Powerful, emotional, real.
0 Replies

Tico

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2007 08:47 am
When I decided that I could live without television in my life, I had forgotten about Meerkat Manor. Thanks for this thread -- and please be as descriptive as possible! Very Happy
0 Replies

Aa

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2007 09:20 am
Hi, Tico! I'm glad you're here in our little fan club. Technically, you could do without TV and still watch Meerkat Manor, if you send for the DVDs that are produced of seasons one and two. (I think that's the extent of availability.) Animal Planet helps feed our addiction.

The teaser "Flower Is Missing" was just a caption toward the end of the one-hour show, no doubt to motivate us to watch the next episode.

One of the successes of the show is that the music itself is enjoyable, and always befits the action. I have noticed that sad music is often the forerunner of sad events and helps to cushion the blow when it hits us.

And I do love those Kalahari sunsets!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2007 02:32 pm
Where's Kermit? Hey, Kermit. Have you seen episode 4?
0 Replies

psalm27sjb

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 11:59 pm
Meerkat Manor
Hello everyone!

This is my first post in this forum. I've been hunting the internet, searching high & low, seeking the answer to one burning question:

Where's Yossarian???

The last I recall, he went off with Mitch and another (whose name is slipping my mind at the moment I'm typing this) and they were "lookin' for love in all the wrong places". Can someone help me with his current status (I don't recall seeing him in the intro to this new season)?

Thanks!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 04:19 am
Hi psalm, Welcome to a2k and to the Meerkat discussion.

I too have wondered where Yossarian is. He's been mentioned this season a few times. The narrator reported that he was off looking for love. No indication was given as to whether he would return this season. He is certainly an eccentric. As long as he's not babysitting, I miss having him around.

Maybe he's with Kermit. Hey, Kermit. Where are you?
0 Replies