Are sentences correct?

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2007 12:02 pm
Two dogs killed a boy ten years ago.

1. In reported speech, it should be "Two dogs killed a dog ten years before."

Am I correct?

2. The spirits of the dogs led a boy who lost his way out of the jungle to make amends for their misdeed.

Is 'misdeed' the proper word? If not, what is the better word?

Many thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 482 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2007 12:38 pm
there's nothing wrong with phrase 'ten years ago' as it's the more common usage.

'Misdeed' is an acceptable choice, but the sense or context of what is going on is unclear. I'm not sure what the misdeed could be or for what they were making amends.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2007 07:15 pm
Two dogs killed a boy ten years ago.

One day, David went into the jungle and it became misty and so he had difficulty seeing. It soon became very misty, so David was unable to get out of the jungle. Soon two dogs appeared and led him out of the forest.

When David told his father about the matter, his father told him that there were no dogs in the jungle at all. When David said that he was certain he saw the dogs, his father recollected that many years ago, a boy was killed by two dogs which were later tracked down and shot dead by hunters. The father wondered whether the 'dogs' were spirits of the two dogs. Perhaps their spirits had appeared to make amends for their misdeed.

Are the words in bold correctly used? Should 'ten years ago' be 'ten years before' as the killing of the boy took place long ago.

Please tell me if there are any errors in the passage.

Thanks in advance.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2007 07:20 pm
As I wrote before: there's nothing wrong with phrase 'ten years ago'.

The phrase 'recollected that many years ago...' is fine.

The phrase 'Their spirits had appeared to make amends for their misdeed' is fine
0 Replies