JPB

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 03:01 pm
jespah and I will both be in need of some semi-solid meal ideas for a week or two. Semi-solid was defined to me as anything that can be cut with a fork. It also should be low-acid, no sharp edges (like chips/crackers), and not spicey. Foods that can be enjoyed at room temperature or slightly warm are better than hot or cold.

Any ideas?

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 03:12 pm
macaroni and cheese
rice
salmon
cheese
yogurt smoothies
peanut butter and honey sandwich (on soft whole wheat bread)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 03:16 pm
Got mashed potatoes
Got mashed potatoes
Got mashed potatoes
Ain't got no T-Bone
Ain't got no T-Bone

:wink:

Crepes/pancakes could be another idea ... you even can eat them cold and put anything on it what you like/is allowed
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 04:32 pm
frittatas

crustless quiche
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 04:37 pm
bananas
chopped liver spread
yogurt
hummus
puddings
anything you can run through a blender or food processor.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 05:02 pm
Green Witch wrote:
anything you can run through a blender or food processor.

or

you can run anything through a blender or food processor
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 05:14 pm
cupcakes and muffins

you can make all kinds of interesting variants - and run some of the ingredients through the blender/f.p. to make a crumb-ier, easier to eat treat

cheddar cheese muffins

cream cheese filled cupcakes

ham and cheddar muffins
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 05:29 pm
CHEDDAR CHEESE MUFFINS

Makes 12

2 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 cup grated cheddar cheese
1 cup plain yogurt
1/4 cup melted butter
2 eggs, beaten

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda.
Gradually stir in the cheese and make a well in the center of the mixture.
Whisk together the yogurt, butter and eggs. Add this to the dry ingredients.
Spoon into muffin tins. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove muffins from cups while hot.

http://www.chefdecuisine.com/baking/muffins/CHEDDAR_CHEESE_MUFFINS.asp

~~~

Using ricotta or a similar cheese in the muffin will give you some of the protein/calcium you might otherwise be missing (and it makes them extra yummy).

~~~

Throw some semi-ripe bananas in the blender, and use that liquid as part of the liquid content in pancakes/waffles/muffins.

Make extra pancakes/waffles (or have someone do it for you) - heat them up later - mebbe with a bitta creme fraiche on the top/side
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 06:38 pm
Oven baked salmon filet, not overdone? (olive oil, a little white wine, careful with salt and pepper?) Ordinarily I'd use lots of lemon, but, er, tartar sauce?

custard?

I haven't eaten canned fruit in years, but I remember it as tamed down relative to acid...
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2007 08:46 am
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm sure I'll be trying them all over the next two weeks. I have the fixings for a salad nicoise and I think I can eat the green beans if I overcook them (gag). The dressing will be another hurdle, but I can leave it on the side for those who can tolerate vinegar.

I tried to tear pieces from a multi-grain tortilla yesterday, but I couldn't chew it and ended up swallowing it mostly whole. Boiled potatoes at room temp and mushy green beans with bits of tuna sounds doable (I hope).

Those cheese muffins sound good, ehbeth.

I'm also thinking of pasta salads that are good at room temp.

I'm still leery of fruit. I tried a cherry tomato yesterday and quickly realized why I'm looking for low acid foods.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2007 09:04 am
Pasta .... what about a German Nudelsalat (noodle salat)?
(Maccaroni, sausages, eggs, dressing .... plus pickles for the others.)

Or a German Wurstsalad (sausage salat)?
(Nearly as above, but without the noodles. Variations: small cut meat/beef = Fleischsalat (Meat/beef salad))
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2007 09:07 am
bananas

yogurt

smoothies (with both of the above)

The cheese muffins do look yummy.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2007 09:48 am
I started typing out a recipe for easy suppli al telefono (aka arancini) but erased it after I comprehended that you don't need to deal with a string of hot mozzarella...
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2007 09:51 am
My favorite: chicken and dumplings! The ultimate comfort food.

I have a good dumpling recipe around here somewhere if you want it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2007 10:08 am
Mmmmmm, chicken and dumplings....
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2007 03:34 pm
boomerang wrote:
My favorite: chicken and dumplings! The ultimate comfort food.

I have a good dumpling recipe around here somewhere if you want it.

yes, please, if it's not too much trouble.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2007 03:42 pm
Walter - I've never heard of adding noodles to sausage and eggs. Sounds interesting, I might give it a try.

Soz, I'll definitely pick up some bananas. I've got plenty of yogurt on hand but usually shy away from bananas.

Osso, I melted some mozzarella onto last night's tortilla and let it cool before ripping small pieces off. The cheese was fine as long as it was cool, the tortilla was a disaster.

I'm finding that I'm not eating anything other than meal replacement drinks because it's too painful. That's not a good thing and I need to try different things to settle on some healthy semi-solid choices. I'm going to make a pasta something tonight and save the salad nicoise idea for tomorrow.
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2007 03:46 pm
Chucky egg in a cup.

Soft boil 2 eggs (that's the bit I always get wrong) and mash them up in a cup with a pinch of salt.

Bloody lovely!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2007 03:50 pm
You might like the Spätzle, which is often translate to "German dumplings").

The cheese spätzle are really a full meal on their own. (I prefer to 'melt' the spötzle with butter in a pan for two, three minuts, afetr cooking.)
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2007 05:27 pm
Dumpling recipe:

Stew a chicken, debone and set meat aside (use whatever seasonings and vegetables you prefer).

Combine:

2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

Cut in:

3 tablespoons shortening

Add:

3/4 cup buttermilk (I never buy buttermilk so I just add a big dash of vinegar to regular milk and let it sit for a bit)

Roll out to 1/4 inch thick on floured surface and cut into strips. Drop strips one at a time (to keep them from sticking together) in to boiling broth.

Reduce heat and cook uncovered for about 30 minutes.

The broth will thicken up a bit and the dumplings will get yellowish. Keep a close eye on them at this point because if they sink in the broth they'll be kind of gooey.

Easy!

Mr. B had his mouth wired shut for something horrid like three months after breaking his jaw. I used to make skinny little dumplings for him.

Beef barley soup was another big favorite.

And bullshot mix. I don't know if you can still find it though. I haven't seen it in years. It's a beefy tomato broth used in bars for making a drink called a bullshot. That was his fast food.

This sounds horrid but I swear it was one of his favorites -- blenderized shrimp scampi.

He's not a big sweet eater so we had to get creative with foods that had flavor but didn't require much from your mouth!

If I think of any other foods that helped him through his long recovery I'll post those too!
0 Replies