jespah

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2007 07:13 pm
I had a burst of energy and made a mess of biscuits. I also made beans with onions, carrots and celery in the slow cooker. I might take out the onions but the rest of it will be fine. Biscuits were good if I didn't heat them up. A small omelet this AM was lovely (had it with shrooms). Tomorrow I may have it with a mild cheese. We have mozzarella.

No crackers. No chips. No pretzels. Nothing hot. Nothing too seed-y. Nothing too spicy. Nothing too acidic.

Milk is great. Had mac 'n cheese last night.
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2007 07:51 pm
After my son had dental surgery in his teens, he ate small amounts slowly and often. Eating was a nighmare for a while. He couldn't chew on either side and could barely open his mouth. He was/is a hearty (but fussy) eater, so it was difficult.

I made stew, using beef, potato and carrots and simmered it long enough that the meat was so tender, it shredded. and the potatoes disintegrated. I blended the carrots into tiny chunks and added them back to the stew. He could take a small spoonful at a time, push it to the back of his mouth with his tongue and swallow.

Shepherd's pie, using extra gravy and pureed vegetables.

Steamed fish, crab cakes, baked crabmeat.

Lasagna, with beef or shredded chicken, using extra sauce and cottage cheese instead of ricotta, so it's moist and soft.

Cheese stuffed manicotti.

Macaroni, beef and cheese with tomatoes.

Sweet potatoes

Scrambled eggs with cheese.

Oatmeal.

Cheese souffle (I have a recipe that's guaranteed not to fail)

I think Osso mentioned canned fruit. He learned to almost enjoy canned peaches and pears for a while.

Crustless quiche. Never thought of that.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2007 07:56 pm
Is the cheese souffle recipe guaranteed not to fail the one from the old Joy of Cooking? It involves bread?

I've been trying to find that recipe for years now.... (I tossed Joy of C I or II, which ever one it was in, as it was a crumpled mess, and realized too late....)

And yes, it would be perfect cold, lukewarm, and is fantastic right out of the oven for the non impaired at the time.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2007 08:29 pm
Has anyone suggested risotto yet?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2007 08:39 pm
I want that cheese souffle recipe, please!
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2007 09:01 pm
Osso, no, it's not from "The Joy of Cooking", unfortunately.

Here is is, Boomerang, straight from the book:

3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
1/2 pound sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
(Do not use soft processed cheese)
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 eggs, separated
1 1/2 tablespoons cold water

First, make cream sauce as follows: Scald but do not boil milk. Melt butter in flat-bottomed saucepan, blend in flour, add milk and beat with wire whisk until smooth. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly until thick. Add shredded cheese and cook 'til smooth. Cool; stir in salt and beaten egg yolks.

Using an electric or rotary beater, whip the whites with the cold water until stiff and dry. Fold the cheese mixture into the egg whites; keep turning the bowl and folding until it is blended.

Pour into a hot buttered 2-quart casserole and place in pan of hot water.

Bake 10 minutes at 400 degrees. Reduce heat to 325 degrees and bake 20 minutes longer. Do not peep for the 20 minutes.

The secret of this souffle is in the beating of the whites. A good rule is to beat them until you fall down, get up and beat again!

Comments are from the recipe as written, not from me. Guaranteed to not fall!
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2007 09:23 pm
liver pate

...no?

lunchmeat

...also not?

pork jelly? salted smoked pork fat? blood sausage?

...well i give up then. that's what they'd give you in slovakia.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2007 09:34 pm
....and without any anesthesia too.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2007 05:48 am
Actually, I wanted to prepare smoked trout filet with potatoe pancakes today.
But then I remembered our not so a la dente poor girls here ... :wink:

Steamed (slightly roasted) trout filet with pancakes made out of mashed potatoes and small slices of steamed carrots.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2007 05:55 pm
As seen on another thread, Swimpy found the Joy of Cooking cheese souffle (never fail) recipe...

Blender Cheese Souffle

Preheat oven to 325.

Dice into cubes:
6 oz. sharp cheddar cheese
Heat to just below boiling:
1 1/2 cups milk
Pour milk into blender and quickly add:
2 tablespoons butter
6 to 8 pieces crustless bread, torn into large pieces
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper or a few grains of cayenne
(1/8 teaspoon of dry mustard)
Blend until thickened. Add the cubed cheese.
Beat in a large bowl until lemon-colored:
4 eggs yolks
Add the cheese mixture very slowly, beating constantly.
Beat until stiff but not dry and fold in gently:
4 egg whites
Place the mixture in a prepared 8-inch souffle baking dish and bake about 50 minutes or until set.

Yaaaaaaay!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2007 05:57 pm
I'll catch up on all the suggestions in a bit (thanks, everyone!). I'm about to eat my first meal since Monday night!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2007 06:07 pm
Oh, good, JPB. May it be delicious... in its way.

(on the fail proof souffle, in case anyone wonders, prepare the dish by rubbing with butter and dusting with flour.)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2007 09:57 pm
I hope, it tasted ... good!
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2007 11:19 pm
can't believe no one mentioned tofu. Sad it's one of my favorite foods. of course, growing up in Japan might have something to do with it. try it in miso soup, it's real good for you. :wink:
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2007 07:35 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
I hope, it tasted ... good!

It did, it DID! I made a tarragon balsamic vinegarette and used it sparingly on boiled potatoes, green and wax beans (slightly overdone), hard boiled eggs, nicoise olives, and poached salmon -- all at room temp. YUM!

Boomer, thanks for the chicken and dumplings recipe. I'll definitely be making that before it gets hot again later next week.

dp, I had those eggs for lunch yesterday. I'm eating lots of eggs these days, thanks.

Walter, I've never made spatzle -- I should try it sometime.

mckenzie, great ideas, thanks! You know? I almost never eat oatmeal and found myself craving it this week. I think the idea of a soft fiber-rich food appealed to me.

dag -- heh! I might try a bit of the pate but I think I'd pass on the rest of the slovakian delicacies.

osso, et al -- I mentioned the slew of souffle recipes to Mr B and his eyes lit up. Another thing I'll be making this week before the heat returns.

yitwail -- you're right, tofu would be easy to eat. Pad Thai is pretty good warm rather than hot and I love miso soup. Good idea, thanks (and I hope you and mrs yitwail are doing well).

I'm able to chew more now, but I'm still very sensitive to hot and cold. Thanks for all the great ideas!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2007 10:26 am
OOoh pad thai, good idea. Maybe I'll make a version of that tonight.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2007 02:04 pm
Cottage cheese and canned fruit.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2008 03:31 pm
Bumping this thread up with thoughts of Roberta having to forego solid food for several weeks fairly soon.

Haven't reread the thread, but am wracking my brain for easy do and nutritious possibilities.

First thing that pops into my mind is lobster bisque. No idea of Roberta likes lobster. Well, any bisque soup, perhaps put in a blender for a few twirls. Cream of mushroom soup ..

I'm sure (well, no I'm not sure) there are medical sites with nutrition advice for throat radiation situations - plan to do some research.

Fruit smoothies..

Ideas??
ossobuco

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2008 03:34 pm
@ossobuco,
Just looked back and saw my 'blender cheese souffle' recipe. Terrifically delicious, but it sounds like too big a deal for Roberta's situation. But maybe there are similar but easier possibilities..
ossobuco

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2008 03:41 pm
@ossobuco,
Just saw McKenzie's mention of crustless quiche. I think of it as baked eggs..

that could be a good idea (dunno).

I do it with, say, a buttered pie plate, 5 or 6 medium eggs, beaten, some water.. (6 - 1/2 eggshells full?) - some olive oil, minced garlic, and whatever is lolling in the refrigerator.. possibly sweet red pepper (jar'd, thus precooked?) in bits, olives (finely chopped?).. bits of ham (minced cold cuts?).. a little cheese, perhaps sort of granular asiago?

Still sounds like a deal to do when you're stressed, but maybe.
0 Replies