Is comma needed?

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 12:00 pm
I was irritated by Bill, constantly interrupting.

Is a comma after 'Bill' optional or necessary? I feel it's not necessary.

Many thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 978 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 12:05 pm
I think that either is correct, according to your emphasis. There is a very slight difference in meaning when you add the comma. With the comma the emphasis is on Bill. Without, the emphasis is on "constantly interrupting".
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 12:19 pm
It's kind of an awkward sentence with or without the comma.

I think I'd recommend something like:

Bill's constant interruptions irritated me.

or

I was irritated by the fact that Bill was constantly interrupting me.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 01:37 pm
Or: "I was irritated by Bill's constant interruptions."
0 Replies

BlueAwesomeness

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2007 10:47 pm
I think it's correct without the comma. With the comma it sounds awful.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2007 03:52 am
With the comma, you stress irritation by Bill. Without the comma, you stress irritation by the interruptions. If you use the apostrophe with Bill (Bill's) as shown in some of the posts, the emphasis is automatically placed on the interruptions.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2007 05:32 am
flyboy804 wrote:
With the comma, you stress irritation by Bill. Without the comma, you stress irritation by the interruptions. If you use the apostrophe with Bill (Bill's) as shown in some of the posts, the emphasis is automatically placed on the interruptions.

I believe you're correct.

I was irritated by Bill, who was constantly irritating. By adding 'who, IMO, the emphasis is clearly on Bill.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2007 06:01 am
I wish I was better at English but the sentence seems incomplete. Shouldn't it say what is interrupted?

Edit: I do realize that was not the question asked. The sentence just seems awkward to me.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2007 09:15 am
TTH wrote:
I wish I was better at English but the sentence seems incomplete. Shouldn't it say what is interrupted?

Edit: I do realize that was not the question asked. The sentence just seems awkward to me.

I was irritated by Bill, constantly interrupting. (Shouldn't it say what is interrupted? IMO, it's not necessary. Look at the sentence below.)

Bill is constantly interrupting. (We don't need to add anything. It's clear that Bill is interrupting.)
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2007 09:26 am
Interrupting what though? The weather forecast, the meeting, a phone conversation? Maybe it just seems incomplete because the sentence does
not say what is being interrupted. If the sentence were in a story then it would probably make more sense to me.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2007 09:31 am
TTH wrote:
Interrupting what though? The weather forecast, the meeting, a phone conversation? Maybe it just seems incomplete because the sentence does
not say what is being interrupted. If the sentence were in a story then it would probably make more sense to me.

I was irritated by Bill, constantly interrupting us when we were talking.
Now, is the comma necessary? (That's the main point.)
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2007 09:50 am
I am not exactly the one to ask since my grammar is not great. I would not use a comma in that sentence though.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2007 10:45 am
TTH wrote:
I am not exactly the one to ask since my grammar is not great. I would not use a comma in that sentence though.

I believe the following reply by 'Flyboy' is correct.

With a comma, you stress irritation by Bill. Without the comma, you stress irritation by the interruptions. If you use the apostrophe with Bill (Bill's) as shown in some of the posts, the emphasis is automatically placed on the interruptions.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2007 11:55 am
It is almost possible to have it both ways: though it is not common in spoken English, it is perfectly common in written English and grammatically correct to write "I was irritated by Bill's constant interrupting." That is, you can use the possessive form of "Bill" without changing "interrupting" to its noun form because, in this particular sentence, the whole phrase "constant interrupting" is a gerund and thus functions as a noun anyway.
0 Replies