Is 'local' required?

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2007 11:05 am
I had always wanted to be a priest since childhood. I entered priesthood at the age of 12, and then practised at the Head Temple for six years. After that, I was posted to several local temples in Japan.

Later I yearned to be posted to a temple in a foreign country. My dream came true when I was posted to Ghana.

I would like to know whether 'local' in the first paragraph is necessary? I would also like to know whether there are any errors in any of the sentences.

Many thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 471 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2007 11:08 am
It is not necessarily required, however, i would leave it in, because it provides a distinction between the "local" temples in Japan, and the "Head Temple" referred to in the preceding sentence. If "Head Temple" refers to a higher level of ecclesiastic distinction, the use of "local temple" assures that the reader understands that none of the temples in Japan attained to that higher level. Leave it in.
0 Replies

BlueAwesomeness

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2007 10:50 pm
I don't really understand what Setanta meant. However, I would agree that you should leave local in, since local is more specific in Japan. Local usually means nearby, in the same small area as you live. Someone can live in the same country as you yet still live pretty far away from you.
0 Replies