Pentagon plans: Gambling on terror

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2003 06:49 am
And I thought, the USA couldn't surprise me anymore!

Quote:
Pentagon plans online terror bets

By Paul Reynolds
BBC News Online world affairs correspondent

The Pentagon is planning to set up an online trading market in which bets could be made about future terrorist attacks and other major political developments.

The idea is to try to improve the prediction and prevention of events by using the expertise of the open market instead of relying on government agencies which have often failed in the past.

One example used on the website set up for the programme is the possible overthrow of King Abdullah of Jordan.
But the plan has already run into fierce opposition in the US Congress.

Senators Ron Wyden of Oregon and Byron Dorgan of North Dakota, both Democrats, have written to the Pentagon urging it to abandon the idea.

"The idea of a federal betting parlour on atrocities and terrorism is ridiculous and it's grotesque," said Senator Wyden.

Senator Dorgan said that it was "useless, offensive and unbelievably stupid". He said he had trouble in persuading other people that it was not a hoax.

"How would you feel if you were the King of Jordan and you learned that the US Defence Department was taking bets on your being overthrown within a year?" he asked.

complete article at the BBC website

And from The Washington Times
Quote:

And the Daily News gives some more details
Quote:
In a statement, agency officials defended the market, which opens Sept. 1 - 10 days before the second anniversary of the terror attack on America.

Such markets offer efficient, effective and timely methods for collecting "dispersed and even hidden information," the agency said. "Futures markets have proven themselves to be good at predicting such things as elections results; they are often better than expert opinions."

Registration for the Web site, www.policyanalysismarket.org, begins Friday.

http://images.google.de/images?q=tbn:RswWGxbm--4C:asms.k12.ar.us/armem/martin/DOLLAR.jpg
If you couldn't read the motto properly:http://www.talewins.com/Treasures/essays/InGodjpg.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,244 • Replies: 12
No top replies

the prince

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2003 06:51 am
U have to admit - it is indeed hilarious !!!!

But then, what else can you expect with a joker leading the pack Laughing
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2003 07:01 am
Question to the professional:

Would it a good investition, Gautam, if I go to a bookie's during my stay in England and place some bets on this?
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2003 07:44 am
Tee Hee

If I tell you, I will have to charge you..
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2003 07:53 am
So, I better do it online :wink:
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2003 01:03 pm
Well, they cancelled it. Guess it was too much even for the dim wits there.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2003 02:28 pm
Consider who the head of DARPA is... John (the aptly named) Poindexter. Convicted of lying to congress in the Iran-Contra Scandal. Gotta love those Bush appointess...true examples of his commitment to "honesty and integrity." Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2003 02:41 pm
(It's really interesting to see those two avatars above close together! :wink: )
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2003 03:51 pm
Sigh. Once I even looked like that, Walter. But in real life hobiitbob would be a blue-eyed blond, although in the same pose.

Re the game: there is also some thinking that this was something dreamed up to prop up what some believe may be a really falling market.

It's hard to believe that just two hundred years ago this country was formed by intelligent, aware, caring, thinking human beings. Is this a natural regression, or are we just having a run of bad luck?
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2003 04:02 pm
You mean that isn't your actual photo.....?
Constable Habib, Constable Goody,arrest that woman!
Laughing
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2003 10:42 pm
Har de har. Let the constables come - I'll sic my grandsons on them. (So you see, it can't be me.) Last avatar I had - just recently - was of a chubby cheeked baby - and that wasn't me either. Always looking.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2003 10:52 pm
What the US is doing still surprises me too. This reads like fiction....
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2003 11:29 pm
Accountability, that's for other people...... Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies