pluck/pick

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 10:09 pm
Once the children were on the tree, they started to pluck/pick rambutans.

Which word should I use? Are there errors in the sentence?

Many thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 564 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 10:54 pm
Re: pluck/pick
Yoong Liat wrote:
Once the children were on the tree, they started to pluck/pick rambutans.

Which word should I use? Are there errors in the sentence?

Many thanks.

Pick is more correct. Pluck you may refer to with phrases such as plucking strings of a guitar or a stringed instrument.

however, 'on the tree' is not as common usage. One might say 'in the tree' or 'up in the tree'
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 11:09 pm
As a child I was often given the task of plucking chickens.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 11:18 pm
Dys: Ever kiss a chicken on the lips?
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2007 12:24 am
"Pluck" has the sense of pulling something. You pluck feathers; pluck at someone's sleeve; but you pick up sticks.

We talk about "picking" fruit in general (and picking flowers or potatoes) even though in some cases you have to "pluck" the individual fruit from the bush! Embarrassed Maybe because in that case you don't have to pull very hard, when the fruit is ripe.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2007 07:45 am
McTag has made the correct distinction for a discussion of harvesting fruit. One picks fruit in quantity. Occasionally one may pluck a particularly delicious piece of fruit or beautiful flower or attractive idea or ravishing conversational partner--but only occasionally.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2007 08:12 am
I plucked my children right out of that church sunday school when I discovered they was larnin' about how everyone in the bible spent their time begotten each other.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2007 08:13 am
I went to a baseball game and standing right in front of the ticket office was a man scalping tickets for 10 x their worth. He said he was just plucking the geese.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2007 02:50 pm
There's another implied sense in "picking" fruit which has just occurred to me: you take your pick, meaning you select the best and the ripest, leaving the rest to ripen yet awhile. You "pick" the ones you want.

Smile
0 Replies