Iraq: we won, now let's leave

McGentrix

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 10:00 am
Setanta wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
How can my opinion be a lie? Did you miss the part where I stated "Bush Sr. should have supported the insurgency"?

You wrote: . . . instead, he listened to the UN that imposed sanctions against Iraq. That is what i quoted, and that is a lie. The book which Bush wrote with Brent Scowcroft, his national security adviser in the relevant period, and which i have quoted, clearly shows that he made his decision based upon his own reasoning, rather than that he "listened to the UN that imposed sanctions."

Quote:
Trying to eliminate Saddam, extending the ground war into an occupation of Iraq, would have violated our guideline about not changing objectives in midstream, engaging in "mission creep," and would have incurred incalculable human and political costs. Apprehending him was probably impossible. We had been unable to find Noriega in Panama, which we knew intimately. We would have been forced to occupy Baghdad and, in effect, rule Iraq. The coalition would instantly have collapsed, the Arabs deserting it in anger and other allies pulling out as well. Under the circumstances, there was no viable "exit strategy" we could see, violating another of our principles. Furthermore, we had been self-consciously trying to set a pattern for handling aggression in the post-Cold War world. Going in and occupying Iraq, thus unilaterally exceeding the United Nations' mandate, would have destroyed the precedent of international response to aggression that we hoped to establish

I am going to pull two sections of that out.

"would have violated our guideline about not changing objectives in midstream, engaging in "mission creep," and would have incurred incalculable human and political costs."

"thus unilaterally exceeding the United Nations' mandate, would have destroyed the precedent of international response to aggression that we hoped to establish"

UN Mandate. We had a UN Mandate specifying our role in the Gulf War. I stated "instead, he listened to the UN that imposed sanctions against Iraq."

Explain to me how the US following the UN Mandate and not wanting to go against that by listening to the UN that (later) imposed sanctions against Iraq (which goes back to Joe's silly comment regarding sanctions killing Iraqi's.) is a lie?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 10:04 am
Setanta wrote:
You must be a little slow today, McWhitey. I've quote Bush on that topic, and provided my sources.

I have revoked your permission to misuse my name and have reported your violation of the ToS. As I will every time you do so in the future.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 10:04 am
Motive--his motive was clearly his own. Had he wanted to ignore the UN, he was free to do so, and especially in the case of Republicans, ignoring the UN is a favorite indoor sport.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 10:07 am
Setanta wrote:
Motive--his motive was clearly his own. Had he wanted to ignore the UN, he was free to do so, and especially in the case of Republicans, ignoring the UN is a favorite indoor sport.

But he didn't ignore the UN and therefore I am right and you are wrong. Again.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 10:13 am
It apparently doesn't occur to you (no surprise there) that if he considered, in conjunction with his national security adviser, the possibility of exceeding the UN mandate, that he was keeping his own counsel, and not "listenting to the UN."
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 10:16 am
Therefore, as always, you are wrong.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 10:33 am
Setanta wrote:
It apparently doesn't occur to you (no surprise there) that if he considered, in conjunction with his national security adviser, the possibility of exceeding the UN mandate, that he was keeping his own counsel, and not "listenting to the UN."

I am sure he considering nuking the place too, but it doesn't matter. It's what he DID do that matters. He followed the UN mandate.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 10:35 am
However, you said he listened to the UN--and you have failed to demonstrate that--while i have demonstrated that he followed his own logic in making his decisions.

So, as usual, you are wrong.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 10:39 am
Mcwhitey wrote:
I have revoked your permission to misuse my name and have reported your violation of the ToS. As I will every time you do so in the future.

rofl
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 11:55 am
joefromchicago wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
As to legality, most countries initiating wars in history have not sought the concurrence of the international community.

Well, unlike the US in 2003, most countries in history haven't been constrained by treaty obligations to seek peaceful ways to resolve international disputes.

Sometimes such an effort reaches the point of absurdity. We tried for 12 years. The idea that we are constrained to never make war is stupid.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 11:56 am
joefromchicago wrote:
It's positively amazing just how weepy and sentimental some conservatives have gotten over the Iraqi people since 2003. It's almost enough to make one believe that these bleeding-hearts cared about the Iraqis all along....

Apparently you cannot argue the issues as presented, but must mind read base motives on the part of your debating opponents in lieu of an argument.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 11:59 am
Apparently, Brandon, you are not able to argue the issue at all. Joe outlined his premise in the initial post, with reference to Mr. Tester's thesis. I guess you just wanted to vent your typical whine, rather than actually have to address the topic of the thread.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 12:14 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
The idea that we are constrained to never make war is stupid.

Ooh, I found a strawman! What should we do with it?
0 Replies

Zippo

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 12:19 pm
I know how we can win.

Oh, look even a Military Analyst agrees with me:

Quote:
Military Analyst: West Needs More Terror To Save Doomed Foreign Policy

Paul Joseph Watson
Prison Planet
Tuesday, July 10, 2007

The West needs more terror attacks on the scale of 9/11 and 7/7 in order to save a failing foreign policy, according to Lt.-Col. Doug Delaney, chair of the war studies program at the Royal Military College in Kingston, Ontario.

This alarming admission can be found right at the end of a long and academic Toronto Star article about the history of conflict and why the invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq are doomed...

source

Please don't put it past any member of this administration to cheerfully arrange for this to happen before the wheels come completely off the war wagon.

From Chertoff's "gut feeling" that a US terror attack is looming for this summer to Rick Santorum's dark statement that more terror attacks will change the way Americans view the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, it appears that the US is being set up with fear, fear, and more fear possibly in advance of something terrible happening.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 12:51 pm
kickycan wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

How so? It's a direct response to what Joe said:

Quote:
Well, unlike the US in 2003, most countries in history haven't been constrained by treaty obligations to seek peaceful ways to resolve international disputes.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 12:55 pm
Setanta wrote:
Apparently, Brandon, you are not able to argue the issue at all. Joe outlined his premise in the initial post, with reference to Mr. Tester's thesis. I guess you just wanted to vent your typical whine, rather than actually have to address the topic of the thread.

I was responding to one particular post by Joe which consisted entirely of the thesis that McGentrix was insincere in his expression of concern for the Iraqis. This shouldn't be his entire response to McG's position. You are apparently looking at a post of Joe's several pages prior to the one I was responding to. I will now read it.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 01:06 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
kickycan wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

How so? It's a direct response to what Joe said:

Quote:

constrained by treaty obligations to seek peaceful ways to resolve international disputes Not Equal constrained to never make war

You argued against something that hasn't been said.

Strawman.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 01:33 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
Sometimes such an effort reaches the point of absurdity. We tried for 12 years. The idea that we are constrained to never make war is stupid.

We are constrained never to wage aggressive war. From Article 2 of the UN Charter:
    3. All Members shall settle their international disputes by peaceful means in such a manner that international peace and security, and justice, are not endangered. 4. All Members shall refrain in their international relations from the threat or use of force against the territorial integrity or political independence of any state, or in any other manner inconsistent with the Purposes of the United Nations.

The UN Charter has the same force as a treaty: i.e. it's the law, both domestically and internationally.

Brandon9000 wrote:
Apparently you cannot argue the issues as presented, but must mind read base motives on the part of your debating opponents in lieu of an argument.

Not base, just hypocritical. But since McGentrix wasn't really making an argument, I wasn't really debating him.

Now, as for the original post in this thread, what do you think about declaring victory and getting the hell out of Iraq?
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 01:42 pm
parados wrote:
Sounds like a strategy even GW could agree with -

Just declare victory and hang out a banner...

It doesn't go far enough, though. At the very least, "mission accomplished" and "heckuva job" have to be in there somewhere. But I'm sure this can be arranged.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 02:10 pm
Zippo wrote:
I know how we can win.

Oh, look even a Military Analyst agrees with me:

Quote:
Military Analyst: West Needs More Terror To Save Doomed Foreign Policy

Paul Joseph Watson
Prison Planet
Tuesday, July 10, 2007

The West needs more terror attacks on the scale of 9/11 and 7/7 in order to save a failing foreign policy, according to Lt.-Col. Doug Delaney, chair of the war studies program at the Royal Military College in Kingston, Ontario.

This alarming admission can be found right at the end of a long and academic Toronto Star article about the history of conflict and why the invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq are doomed...

source

Please don't put it past any member of this administration to cheerfully arrange for this to happen before the wheels come completely off the war wagon.

From Chertoff's "gut feeling" that a US terror attack is looming for this summer to Rick Santorum's dark statement that more terror attacks will change the way Americans view the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, it appears that the US is being set up with fear, fear, and more fear possibly in advance of something terrible happening.

This would perpetuate the Bush dynasty, the war, neo-con foreign policy, corporate contracts.

Good timing would be 3 to 5 months before the next election the marketing subjects (americans) will do as training and studys have proven. The few enlightened that know better will make no difference.
0 Replies