Morton's Neuroma's

quinn1

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2007 03:38 pm
Anyone been diagnosed and received treatment? How's it going? Thoughts on cortisone shots?

I have been diagnosed and I #1. HATE needles #2. HATE people touching my feet so, I opted for no shots.

I have heard that many people have done the shots and although they do give immediate relief, it's not permanent relief and in some cases even only lasts for about 4 days. The process is just as long, if not longer than no shots so, just curious.

It's been a month and with prescript anti inflamatories and cushioned insoles with wads of extra cushions (I just call them balls) the doc put in the shoes as well - just behind the ball of my feet, it's better. It's not great. He said 6-8 weeks so, I still have time but, I just don't feel like it is getting better as quickly as it should I guess. I have had a couple of days that have felt great and a couple of days that have felt horrible the rest is just, eh.

I have heard that New Balance offers some athletic shoes that will specifically assist and wondering also if anyone has tried those.

I really don't want surgery but, if I could walk and drive and hike, etc I would certainly seriously consider it. I have heard that surgery isnt all that bad, mostly out patient and crutches for a few days with a boot on for a week or two. Not so bad if you ask me. Yeah, you loose sensation between your toes but, I'm not the feel the sand between my toes type of gal anyway so, not all that worried. More worried about having a nail stuck in there or something and not knowing.

Anyone with history and progress, etc would be helpful.

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 4,440 • Replies: 8
No top replies

littlek

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2007 03:50 pm
Ah, look, more info! (grin)
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2007 04:29 pm
It's all about the info, eh?
Laughing
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2007 05:16 pm
It is! Good stuff, that.....
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 05:56 am
Mr. P had Morton's neuroma some years ago. He had it operated on some years ago, actually as an afterthought when he had knee surgery. It had gotten so bad, that he would take his shoe off when he was coming home on the Long Island Rail Road.

He says that it was not a bit deal operation, but was a pain in the butt for a short time. In the meantime, he says that he developed one on the other foot.

The main thing is not to wear shoes that are too narrow, That causes pressure on the nerve in the foot, which inflames the neuroma, and makes it hurt more.

Found a good article on the condition.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/mortons-neuroma/DS00468
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 07:18 am
Agreeing with Phoenix -- very important to wear shoes that are wide enough and don't pinch that nerve. I was diagnosed with MN @ 10 years ago and got insoles for athletic shoes (Sauconys). They were hard insoles molded to my feet but with a sort of "button" that pressed the bones apart where the nerve is. I have never seen anyone else with this sort of insole -- everything else I've seen is really padded (and a lot more expensive). They worked for me though and I sometimes still use them. I wear Sauconys (they have a wider toe box than most runners) and New Balance as I can buy the width I need. I never wear heels Sad -- Birkenstocks are as fancy as it gets (I have a pair I only wear indoors as slippers).

These days I rarely need the hard plastic insoles but do use the Dr Scholl's insoles for arthritis/diabetes as I find them really helpful. If I overdo the walking I get numbness in my foot but not shooting pain.

I'd definitely look into the New Balance products. Their hiking boots were one of the most comfortable I've ever owned.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 05:06 pm
phoexin - intersting that he developed one on the other foot now, eh? I have them both working against me at once so, while I can understand the one coming later gosh, if I went all the way through surgery and all I would do my best not to get the second one going! hehehe. Really though - I take my shoes off at work and I'm wearing sneakers. It's hard because I have the 45 min - 1 hour drive each way in horrid traffic so, by the time I get there, they hurt and by the time I get home they hurt.

Thai - hi and thanks for stopping in. I have had quite a few pairs of Saucony's because they felt the most comfortable. I agree - good stuff. I also like how HiTec hiking boots fit. so, you should take a look at those if you are out and about and see them. Right now I'm wearing mens sneakers because they are wider all around. I'm hoping I get to the point where I can drive through wand then walk through the mall to go to foot locker and check out the New Balance. Little steps and I'll get there I am sure.

So the shooting pain goes away? That'd be nice. It has levelled out a bit and isnt so bad that I want to cut my feet off so, there's progress!

Any serious leg cramping for you others? I had the oddest cramping in the front of my shins all the time. I thought it was normal - doc said it was one of the signs since you are pulling up your toesto elliviate pain in the ball of your foot and pulling the muscles and tendions across your shin. I haven't had those in a while but, I am getting more normal leg cramps and I think thats just from walking funny. Maybe.
0 Replies

irymattia

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 06:20 pm
I was diagnosed last summer and went through the previous year with orthotics after having Cortizone shots that didn't work and trying alchohol therapy which was a shot of alchohol injected every ten days. I did that eight times with about 80% improvement. The doctor said surgery was my call if I wanted it or not, but that it was a long recovery. I decided against it because it would mean not being able to walk my dog, work out especially kickboxing for over a month. Well it got real bad again and so I gave one last ditch effort before giving in. I tried accupuncture. At first it hurt something awful, because it's in my foot and that's where all the nerve endings are. She said it would be painful. Next week is my last appt out of six. I CAN'T BELIEVE THE DIFFERENCE!!!!!!!!!!!! I can walk the beach barefoot again, I can stand on my toes and best of all I can wear cute shoes again. Although I do stay away from heels, just in case. Hope this helps.
0 Replies

bboywannabe

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2007 02:09 am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fqalM4EjVE&eurl
http://www.tampacryosurgery.com/ (video also here if you scroll down a bit)

Article Comparing Alcohol Injections to Cryosurgery
http://www.podiatrytoday.com/article/2691

I'm seeing a lot of surgery horror stories. You should consider and research cryosurgery before you take the plunge.

Alcohol

-alcohol causes tissue irritation, and ulcers or abscess may occur - can be very painful
-may cause formation of stump neuroma
-4% concentration of alcohol sometimes not strong enough to cause chemical neurolysis

Cryosurgery

-minimally invasive and takes approximately 15 minutes to perform
-no incidence of stump neuroma formation
-short postoperative recovery period - only need to reduce activity for few days
-success rates with one treament run 80-90%.
-cryosurgery can be repeated without problems
-available for heel pain, Morton's neuroma, plantar fasciitis and many other painful foot conditions and masses
0 Replies