It is likely that

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2007 02:05 pm
Besides, should you discover in yourself a fondness for great reading, then it is likely that in no season of your life will you become incurably bored or feel totally alone - even when there is nothing on television.

A) surely B)certainly C) likely D)possibly

I have two questions about this sentence.

1) Does this sentence correct? (I mean without and before , then)

2) C) likely is the answer, and I like it best in that place; I take likely as an adj. (Right?) But could other three adverbs also construct a grammatical sentence in the place?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 442 • Replies: 3
No top replies

username

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2007 02:14 pm
No, they couldn't. You could say , It is sure that ...", "it is certain that....", or "it is possible that....", but you can't use the -ly ones. AND you do NOT want to say "and then..." because the snetence is an "if...then" sentence, if the first part is true, then the second part follows logically. An "and then" sentence means something happened, "and then" something else happened--"then" there refers to time, not conseuence.
0 Replies

bluestblue

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2007 02:52 pm
Thank you Username! It's very helpful! Smile
0 Replies

BlueAwesomeness

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2007 11:23 am
Re: It is likely that
bluestblue wrote:
Besides, should you discover in yourself a fondness for great reading, then it is likely that in no season of your life will you become incurably bored or feel totally alone - even when there is nothing on television.

A) surely B)certainly C) likely D)possibly

I have two questions about this sentence.

1) Does this sentence correct? (I mean without and before , then)

2) C) likely is the answer, and I like it best in that place; I take likely as an adj. (Right?) But could other three adverbs also construct a grammatical sentence in the place?

No. Adverbs describe verbs (sometimes adjectives and other adverbs, too), not nouns. "It" is a noun.

You're right, though, that likely is the only adjective.
0 Replies