to VS about VS with Vs during

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2007 01:52 pm
A highly trained and highly paid tool maker enrolled in an evening literature course said, "I just decided there has to be more _____ life than work, a few beers; and the bowling alley."

A) about B) with C) to D) during

C) is the answer.

My question is if other three options are not acceptable at all

(And BTW: what is a tool maker?)

Thanks for your opinions!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 580 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2007 02:00 pm
This is a case of the only answer, not the most correct answer--A, B & D are all incorrect.

A tool is an item which one uses to manipulate one's environment--an ax for chopping down a tree, a hoe for tilling the ground, a needle for sewing clothing--are all tools. In simple terms, a tool maker is anyone who makes a tool.

However, in this context, there is an implication of someone who has a particular profession. The sentence speaks of him being highly trained and highly paid. There is a profession which is usually referred to in the United States as a tool and die maker. This is someone who operates a machine tool of some type--a lathe for cutting steel, a drill press, a ball- or roller-bearing machine tool. People who operate machine tools have to be highly skilled (and therefore highly trained) because they are required to make items to within very fine tolerances, such as thousandths or even ten thousands of an inch. (There are 25 millimeters in an inch, so think of someone who must make something with no more margin for error than thousandths of a millimeter). People who can accomplish such tasks are therefore highly paid.

I suspect the sentence refers to a machine tool operator. If what i have written is not clear to you, i'll try to make it more plain--but this is one of those things which it is difficult to explain.
0 Replies

username

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2007 02:01 pm
"more to life" is kind of a stock phrase, You'd also say "there's more to it than meets the eye". I don't think you'd use any of the other three options. They'd all sound unnatural. You might, conceivably, strainin g a bit, say "about", but I don't think a native English speaker is likely to.

A tool maker works with high-precision equipment, like lathes and milling machines, to make the new precision tools industry requires to make new products. A tool maker, for example, would be likely to make a machine to bore out the cylinder head of a car engine, which has to be precise to thousandths of an inch. They wouldn't make a hammer or a screwdriver. Though they might make a milling machine to shape a cast hammer head.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2007 02:22 pm
This is an image of a drill press. This is used to cut holes in materials, usually a hard material such as steel. The man in the picture (who is actually probably just a photographers model) would be called a "tool maker," although in the United States he would generally be known as a "tool and die maker," or a "drill press operator." It requires a great deal of skill, and therefore, lots of training--and it pays a great deal of money. Most things, such as automobile or airplane engines, which require metal cut to high tolerances are now made by "robots," such as those which the Japanese and Koreans are very clever in making. Modern tool makers usually only work on special orders, rather than mass production items, and actually require more skill and are paid more money than they were 60 or 70 years ago, when tool and die makers made most of the moving parts for automobile or airplane engines.

http://www.ellissaw.com/images/45.jpg

Below is an image of a machine tool, this one used to repeatedly drill holes in steel:

http://www.cerritos.edu/aed/images/mach_1.gif

Below is an image of a modern machine tool lathe, which is used to make steel an other metal poles to very specific dimensions. Modern machine tools of this type are often computer controlled--but the operator still requires a good deal of skill.

http://www.billor.com/images/LeBlondGraham.jpg
0 Replies

bluestblue

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2007 02:33 pm
Hi, Hi, Dear Setanta and Username

Your explanations are much more elaborate than I can imagine.

What can I say Embarrassed ? Thank you very much!!
0 Replies