Payed or PAid

cavfancier

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2003 06:27 am
Butrflynet, are you poking fun at our Slappy? Laughing

Now 'Hooked on Ebonics' states that "I need to get paid" is actually "I gots to get paid." Go figure...Canajuns still write cheques.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2003 10:44 am
as a confirmed 'Oxford' user i can pronounce that payed (and layed) r not in the Oxford, therefore unacceptable in Britain, and Canada.

so you can be paid for a job well done; an egg can be laid for tomorrow's breakfast, or a body can be laid in its coffin, in the Anglo world quite properly; but u can only get 'layed' in America! Laughing
0 Replies

um

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 03:18 pm
payed paid
Paid always, except payed in the sense of letting out rope:

I paid attention as the sailor payed out the rope.
0 Replies

spaganag

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2009 10:11 am
@cicerone imposter,
Paid is used as an adjective...like a "paid" bill. Payed is past tense.If you say "I payed the bill yesterday", that would be correct.

Im sure over time both are acceptable, though. But if we want to nitpick, that's the CORRECT answer.

Now let's argue about "theater" vs. "theatre". I actually LOST a spelling bee in 3rd grade because i spelled it the "American" way. After they said I misspelled it, to which I replied, "yeah, in ENGLAND".

0 Replies