Researchers help define what makes a political conservative

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2003 09:59 am
Researchers help define what makes a political conservative
By Kathleen Maclay, Media Relations | 22 July 2003 (revised 7/25/03)
Univerisity of California News

BERKELEY - Politically conservative agendas may range from supporting the Vietnam War to upholding traditional moral and religious values to opposing welfare. But are there consistent underlying motivations?

Four researchers who culled through 50 years of research literature about the psychology of conservatism report that at the core of political conservatism is the resistance to change and a tolerance for inequality, and that some of the common psychological factors linked to political conservatism include:

Fear and aggression

Dogmatism and intolerance of ambiguity

Uncertainty avoidance

Need for cognitive closure

Terror management
"From our perspective, these psychological factors are capable of contributing to the adoption of conservative ideological contents, either independently or in combination," the researchers wrote in an article, "Political Conservatism as Motivated Social Cognition," recently published in the American Psychological Association's Psychological Bulletin.

Assistant Professor Jack Glaser of the University of California, Berkeley's Goldman School of Public Policy and Visiting Professor Frank Sulloway of UC Berkeley joined lead author, Associate Professor John Jost of Stanford University's Graduate School of Business, and Professor Arie Kruglanski of the University of Maryland at College Park, to analyze the literature on conservatism.

The psychologists sought patterns among 88 samples, involving 22,818 participants, taken from journal articles, books and conference papers. The material originating from 12 countries included speeches and interviews given by politicians, opinions and verdicts rendered by judges, as well as experimental, field and survey studies.

Ten meta-analytic calculations performed on the material - which included various types of literature and approaches from different countries and groups - yielded consistent, common threads, Glaser said.

The avoidance of uncertainty, for example, as well as the striving for certainty, are particularly tied to one key dimension of conservative thought - the resistance to change or hanging onto the status quo, they said.

The terror management feature of conservatism can be seen in post-Sept. 11 America, where many people appear to shun and even punish outsiders and those who threaten the status of cherished world views, they wrote.

Concerns with fear and threat, likewise, can be linked to a second key dimension of conservatism - an endorsement of inequality, a view reflected in the Indian caste system, South African apartheid and the conservative, segregationist politics of the late Sen. Strom Thurmond (R-South S.C.).

Disparate conservatives share a resistance to change and acceptance of inequality, the authors said. Hitler, Mussolini, and former President Ronald Reagan were individuals, but all were right-wing conservatives because they preached a return to an idealized past and condoned inequality in some form. Talk host Rush Limbaugh can be described the same way, the authors commented in a published reply to the article.

This research marks the first synthesis of a vast amount of information about conservatism, and the result is an "elegant and unifying explanation" for political conservatism under the rubric of motivated social cognition, said Sulloway. That entails the tendency of people's attitudinal preferences on policy matters to be explained by individual needs based on personality, social interests or existential needs.

The researchers' analytical methods allowed them to determine the effects for each class of factors and revealed "more pluralistic and nuanced understanding of the source of conservatism," Sulloway said.

While most people resist change, Glaser said, liberals appear to have a higher tolerance for change than conservatives do.

As for conservatives' penchant for accepting inequality, he said, one contemporary example is liberals' general endorsement of extending rights and liberties to disadvantaged minorities such as gays and lesbians, compared to conservatives' opposing position.

The researchers said that conservative ideologies, like virtually all belief systems, develop in part because they satisfy some psychological needs, but that "does not mean that conservatism is pathological or that conservative beliefs are necessarily false, irrational, or unprincipled."

They also stressed that their findings are not judgmental.

"In many cases, including mass politics, 'liberal' traits may be liabilities, and being intolerant of ambiguity, high on the need for closure, or low in cognitive complexity might be associated with such generally valued characteristics as personal commitment and unwavering loyalty," the researchers wrote.

This intolerance of ambiguity can lead people to cling to the familiar, to arrive at premature conclusions, and to impose simplistic cliches and stereotypes, the researchers advised.

The latest debate about the possibility that the Bush administration ignored intelligence information that discounted reports of Iraq buying nuclear material from Africa may be linked to the conservative intolerance for ambiguity and or need for closure, said Glaser.

"For a variety of psychological reasons, then, right-wing populism may have more consistent appeal than left-wing populism, especially in times of potential crisis and instability," he said.

Glaser acknowledged that the team's exclusive assessment of the psychological motivations of political conservatism might be viewed as a partisan exercise. However, he said, there is a host of information available about conservatism, but not about liberalism.

The researchers conceded cases of left-wing ideologues, such as Stalin, Khrushchev or Castro, who, once in power, steadfastly resisted change, allegedly in the name of egalitarianism.

Yet, they noted that some of these figures might be considered politically conservative in the context of the systems that they defended. The researchers noted that Stalin, for example, was concerned about defending and preserving the existing Soviet system.

Although they concluded that conservatives are less "integratively complex" than others are, Glaser said, "it doesn't mean that they're simple-minded."

Conservatives don't feel the need to jump through complex, intellectual hoops in order to understand or justify some of their positions, he said. "They are more comfortable seeing and stating things in black and white in ways that would make liberals squirm," Glaser said.

He pointed as an example to a 2001 trip to Italy, where President George W. Bush was asked to explain himself. The Republican president told assembled world leaders, "I know what I believe and I believe what I believe is right." And in 2002, Bush told a British reporter, "Look, my job isn't to nuance."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,155 • Replies: 63
No top replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2003 10:22 am
Yeah. No bias in Berkeley... Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2003 10:39 am
Shouldn't we make a difference between Conservatives and Reactionaries, and their motivations?

Conservatism = fear of change
Reactionarism = abhorrence of recent changes, will to revert them.

Often, reactionaries on the helm promote massive conservatism (fear), in order to be able to act with less opposition the reactionary agenda (the reversal of recent changes).
The agenda of fear tells the people: "Don't move!, It's dangerous!", while the reactionary activists are actually moving."
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2003 10:52 am
McGentrix wrote:
Yeah. No bias in Berkeley... Rolling Eyes

Is denial on that list of conservative attributes?

(Just kidding, McG, please don't take it personally...)
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2003 10:56 am
Yeah. No bias in this report, at all.

Interesting choice to proclaim a fear of change. I would assert there is a refusal to change, when the change has no basis, or sensible direction.

I remember Clinton's one word slogan in his first campaign. "Change."
He didn't say much about change to what... I remember him criticising Bush I's Haitian immigrant policy--and then adopting it as soon as he was in office. Change, for the sake of change is as dumb as status quo, for the sake of status quo.

How about "Conservatives prefer a strong defense, an economy based on strong business/employers, individual responsibility, true individual equality, comparative limited role of government in citizens' lives... Yep.
0 Replies

cobalt

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2003 05:47 pm
Sorry, can't buy your re-wording, Sofia, but nice try! Cool

I think that "tolerance for inequality" is quite an understatement.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2003 05:59 pm
sorry can't buy this either sofia, while it may have been true prior to Reagan it aint been true since.
Quote:
comparative limited role of government in citizens' lives
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2003 06:07 pm
Sofia wrote:
How about "Conservatives prefer a strong defense, an economy based on strong business/employers, individual responsibility, true individual equality, comparative limited role of government in citizens' lives... Yep.

Your Number 1 element of preference: "a strong defense".
Where does that come from? From fear of the Foreign Threat.
It has always struck me that so much taxes of the world's wealthiest nation end up in the military budget, and yet, the average American goes bankrupt if struck by a sudden illness or has to pay hefty hospital bills if s/he got mugged.

Your Number 2 element of preference: "an economy based on strong business/employers"
I don't totally buy the equation strong businesses = strong employers. Free economies need strong business; but business are not necessarily made strong by empowering employers and disempowering employees and civil society. A balance is to be held among the forces of production, or else we have a fall in productivity (let's face it, workers don't like to work that much) or an increase in exploitation (let's face it, employers don't invest their capital out of good will).
Where does the equation strong businesses = strong employers come from? From fear of the organized workers and of an empowered civil society.

As for your elements number 3,4 & 5, I can agree. Only I hope we understand similar things for individual responsability, equality and the "comparative limited role of government in citizens' lives".
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2003 06:16 pm
Cobalt--
Its unfair to say conservatives are basically intolerant. Every demographic and political group has intolerants in their number.

Dys--
I guess you're referring to the GOP's response to terrorism... Yep. Still, in principle, the conservatives push for limiting govt's role in citizen's lives. But, there is more of a give and take on this these days, as liberals and conservatives each have their 'intrusive' preferences. We could probably come up with several 'govt intrusions' sponsered by the GOP and the Dems. And, we'd probably disagree on which ones are necessary, or positive.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2003 06:26 pm
fbaezer wrote:

Your Number 1 element of preference: "a strong defense".
Where does that come from? From fear of the Foreign Threat.
It has always struck me that so much taxes of the world's wealthiest nation end up in the military budget, and yet, the average American goes bankrupt if struck by a sudden illness or has to pay hefty hospital bills if s/he got mugged.

Pedestrian fears are pedestrian.

When the hell are they ever going to make a slight attempt at calculating probability?

sigh sigh sigh
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2003 06:27 pm
Well, that's an interesting article. And interesting responses as well!
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2003 06:32 pm
Hi, fbaezer.

I look on a strong defense like a healthy, trained body. You're not planning on running a marathon, but you want to be as healthy and self-sufficient as you can be. I don't think wanting a strong defense has to be a signal of a fear of any kind. It is a sign of health, ability and preparedness. I also subscribe to the idea that freedom isn't free. There are certain prices you have to pay for freedom, and a strong defense is one of them. Just MO.

My husband and I have employed thirty or so people, and I don't know how a strong business can't be a strong employer. Liberal pro-employee tax laws and regulations do come down the pike to employers as barriers to being able to expand, hire more people, and provide better employee packages (wages, insurance packages, bonuses and job security.) Small businesses can be hurt and shut down due to some of these employee-oriented regulations/laws. I really believe strong business is ultimately better for the employee, the community and the economy.

I really don't see fear as a catalyst for either of these. I just see it as common sense.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2003 06:36 pm
Sofie wrote:
Quote:
There are certain prices you have to pay for freedom

I think that's is one concept that both sides agree with. Just what is the price of freedom is where we differ.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2003 08:37 pm
I do not argue against defense, and I abhorr union excesses (been in both sides of the bargaining table).

My argument is about priorities.

In a fear-ridden society, there's never enough "defense".

The US has the capacity to blow the world several times, yet it prefers to invest in stealth bombers (or whatever) than in sensible intelligence.
I believe most European countries have a good defense, but are not as weapon-crazy in their budget as the US.
That's because the US is conservative.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2003 09:33 pm
when the Dept of War was renamed the Dept of Defense the US went from a defensive posture to an offensive posture, and never looked back....
0 Replies

Hazlitt

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2003 10:01 pm
I thought the classical idea of conservatism was a respect for the status quo. The idea being that we got where we are as a net result of the collective political wisdom of the ages. There is then, resistance to(rather than fear of) change unless it can be shown to be necessary.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2003 10:05 pm
fbaezer,

I agree with one reservation.

With minimal increase in spending European nations could employ more guided munitions and greatly increase their military strength at a relatively low price (as far as weapons go it'd be chump change to put dumb bombs through a crash course).

------------

Sam's neighborhood was an everchanging one, it often scared him to see new shadows lurking his alley at night. Sam's fear led him to purchase a firearm.

It was, he said, to protect him in the eventuality that he would be assaulted by a more powerful foe (this had yet to happen).

Sam's fear gradually internalized and Sam started to associate himeslf with his gun more and more. He gave it nicknames and used to chant slogans about how it was the greatest gun on earth.

When Sam's car broke down he started spening more and more on his gun. Heck he decided to buy teflon coated bullets and a lazer pointer. All to better prepare him for an onslaught be a more powerful foe (though the threat had yet to materialize in his lifetime).

Sam coudn't help but play with his gun, he was spending all his time and money on it and the lazer was neat.

One day Sam decided he had had enough of Calvin's mad doggin' and decided to take matters into his own hands.

Sam threatened Calvin that day, rattling his beloved gun in its holster. Calvin made friends with other people who had guns and this motivated Sam to buy a larger one. And to carry both. They were needed, you see, because one day it might save his life.

Sam decided that Calvin's gang didn't respect him, they thoought he was a paper tiger. So a few drivebys helped settle that. Nobody was hurt but the gun was awful assertive.

One day Sam heard that Calvin had called his mother modestly plump. Sam approached his own "crew" Nate, Alan, Tim and Orpheus and told them that Calvin was flouting them all. "My Mom's called plump today, would you let him diss yáll like that?"

Sam even took it to the Neighbourhood Officer who didn't agree with killing Calvin. Sam decided he had to protect himself from the growing threat Calvin posed. Once they used to be friends, Sam used to drive Calvin around in his car. But for some reason the relationship had deteriorated. Sam thought about this but was interrupted by the need to bare his teeth in a menacing growl and flash his guns at Ulster, Sharon, Selma and Robert. They used to be allies but they were starting to liek Sam and his crew less and less each day. In fat they were thinking of getting guns of their own.

Sam decided to shock and awe the neighborhood and killed Calvin pre-emptively. Calvin had been flashing his gun and it was just ametter of time before it became a matter of Sam or Calvin Sam rationalized.

The neighbourhood was much more dangerous now than it used to be, Sam didn't have a car, so wallking in this dangerous hood made the gun more and more important for defense.

One day Sam opened his front door to the last sight he'd have. It was a bigger gun.

His mother lamented the neighbourhood's decline and faulted the guns. Everyone was carrying them for protection but each one made life more dangerous for them all.

[apology]sorry for the wild digression[/apology]
0 Replies

cobalt

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2003 10:53 pm
Quote:
Cobalt--
Its unfair to say conservatives are basically intolerant. Every demographic and political group has intolerants in their number.

I did not say that. I said this:
"I think that "tolerance for inequality" is quite an understatement.

Part of my appreciation of this as an understatement is the word "tolerance". I sincerely doubt most conservatives can argue strongly that their position does not tend towards social Darwinism.

And now, for something different:
Rush Limbaughtomy
http://rushlimbaughtomy.blogspot.com/
Post today, following Kennedy quote

LIBERALS___________Vs.__________CONSERVATIVES

Expansive______________________ Reductive
Inclusive_______________________ Exclusive
Educate _______________________ Imprison
Head Start _____________________ Juvenile Home
Privacy ________________________ Invasive
Pro Choice _____________________ No Choice
All the ships rise_________________ Zero Sum Game
Generous ______________________ Greedy
Love __________________________ Fear
Find Solution ____________________ Assess Blame
Share _________________________ Hoard
Community _____________________ Individual
Consensus _____________________ My Way or the Highway
Compromise ____________________ Strong Arm
Environmentalism_________________Corporatism
Spiritual________________________ Dogmatic
Tolerant________________________ Intolerant
Co-operate______________________Dominate
Placate_________________________Aggravate
Welfare________________________ Warfare
Serve__________________________ Protect
Defend_________________________ Prosecute
Elevate_________________________Persecute
Uplift __________________________ Hold Back
Assist__________________________ Impede
Compassionate __________________Vindictive
Permissive______________________ Controlling
Boundless_______________________Restrictive
Humanist________________________Eliteist
Diversity________________________Conformity
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2003 06:46 am
BBB - is there a link available to the article? I would love to look at the actual research paper, and I would assume that might be available at the source?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2003 07:02 am
Hey, Fbaezer, after a period of such radical conservatism as we seem to be having now, presumably we get reactionary progressives, attempting to reverse the reactionary changes we have seen? Lol!

People - is anyone denying that political beliefs are, to some extent, based on psychological motives? Is anyone saying that political beliefs are purely rational?

If we accept that possibility, what do people think of the cluster of personality attributes assigned to conservatives - (bearing in mind that, if the analysis had been of those of broadly progressive beliefs, there would have been an equally "unattractive" list of personality attributes, which would be calling forth similarly heated denials from the other side, and happy approval from the conservatives!)?
0 Replies