John's grandmother / She

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 01:27 pm
John's grandmother's birthday is a week away. John's grandmother / She wants to make a new dress for herself.

Which word/s should I use?

Many thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 548 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 01:31 pm
If you have not introduced any other females, she is alright.

So, if you write: John's grandmother's birthday is a week away. She wants to make a new dress for herself. --everyone will understand whom you are talking about.

But if the sentences are separated, and there are other women you are writing about, you might want to specify who "she" is by naming John's Grandmother again. If the two sentences are consecutive, "she" is fine.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 01:33 pm
Setanta wrote:
If you have not introduced any other females, she is alright.

So, if you write: John's grandmother's birthday is a week away. She wants to make a new dress for herself. --everyone will understand whom you are talking about.

But if the sentences are separated, and there are other women you are writing about, you might want to specify who "she" is by naming John's Grandmother again. If the two sentences are consecutive, "she" is fine.

Thanks.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 01:34 pm
As I understand it, you are asking whether "John's Grandmother" or "She" is prefereable in the second sentence, if that second sentence immediately follows the first. Definitely use "she." Repeating "John's Grandmother" sounds awkward and repetitious, unless you're trying to achieve a particular effect by referring to the lady as "John's Grandmother" every time she is mentioned. But that would be a particular literary device. In general, where there can be no ambiguity, use the personal pronoun in the second sentence.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 01:34 pm
You're welcome. I wish you very good luck in your effort to learn English.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 01:41 pm
Merry Andrew wrote:
As I understand it, you are asking whether "John's Grandmother" or "She" is prefereable in the second sentence, if that second sentence immediately follows the first. Definitely use "she." Repeating "John's Grandmother" sounds awkward and repetitious, unless you're trying to achieve a particular effect by referring to the lady as "John's Grandmother" every time she is mentioned. But that would be a particular literary device. In general, where there can be no ambiguity, use the personal pronoun in the second sentence.

Thanks.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 01:43 pm
What Setanta said. Smile
0 Replies