Being the bearer of news when you didn’t make the news

Linkat

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 10:31 am
I have to give my reports their salary raises. I did not determine what the raises would be, but I need to deliver the news. In 95% of the cases it isn't good. As it is my company is cheap when it comes to raises. And to top it off, the raises I need to notify are crap. How do I tell them? I figure I'm just going to give them the dollars and percentages and leave it at that. Hopefully they will not question too much. I don't agree with the amounts, but it is my job to give the news.

I would imagine they will say something, because if mine is crap, I'm going let my boss know how disappointed I am.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 969 • Replies: 14
No top replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 10:32 am
Give them the news, then start laughing as you walk away.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 10:39 am
Gus
You are just something Laughing Laughing

Linkat
Just tell them. If they ask questions and you can answer per your company policy then answer. If you can't answer their questions per policy then tell them who they need to speak to. If you represent the company and if you disagree with the raises, it is not your place to make the company look bad.
imo only
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 10:43 am
I agree totally (not with Gus that is - that could get me killed) - I cannot say anything like - yes your raise sucks and I disagree with it - I suppose I could but it would be a CLM on my part.

I'll just rely the basics and in my head say what cheap bastards they are.

On the bright side maybe they will save some of that in my increase.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 10:45 am
Does the person who gives you the numbers any information about who people should speak to about the numbers?

(they're wusses for passing this on to you to do)
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 10:54 am
I might start the discussion with an aside about "shooting the messenger". Laughing
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 10:54 am
I would preface the news with something along the lines of, "Now, I didn't have any input on this...."

This wil psychologically prepare them for bad news, while insulating you somewhat from it.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 10:56 am
ehBeth wrote:
Does the person who gives you the numbers any information about who people should speak to about the numbers?

(they're wusses for passing this on to you to do)

No. When our merit period begins - my peers and me gather together and discuss individuals how they are doing, etc. We then come to a consensus and rate them. They we give suggested raises and present to our bosses. They then probably tear up whatever we do and come up with their own thoughts. Then a week or so before raises are to be given, we have access to a system where we print out letters detailing their raises (which in almost every case is different from what we determined).

It is up to us to deliver along with their performance review.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 11:02 am
Linkat, I'm am on the receiving end of the same process. I know that my supervisor has little or no input in the raise & bonus I receive, so I don't fault him.

I do discuss with him (and not just in that discussion) what I can do to get a higher rating/bigger bonus & raise next year. But hearing about this from your side, I'm thinking that whatever responses he gives me are just guesses on his part. The final determinations are truly not in his control.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 11:11 am
Linkat--

You might mention that the upheaval of reorganization is obviously tightening purse strings.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 11:20 am
Linkat good luck
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 11:47 am
mac11 wrote:
Linkat, I'm am on the receiving end of the same process. I know that my supervisor has little or no input in the raise & bonus I receive, so I don't fault him.

I do discuss with him (and not just in that discussion) what I can do to get a higher rating/bigger bonus & raise next year. But hearing about this from your side, I'm thinking that whatever responses he gives me are just guesses on his part. The final determinations are truly not in his control.

Funny the guesses part is true. The problem I have is I can't lie. I am too damn honest. What I usually say when some one asks me that is this is my perception or what I gather. But all can be subject to change or along those lines. I am not rude about it - but try to be straight forward - this is how I view it, etc. because it is a guess and what I personally have experienced - not what is known.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 11:48 am
Noddy24 wrote:
Linkat--

You might mention that the upheaval of reorganization is obviously tightening purse strings.

But I don't think that's true - the raises are low and are have been for the couple years I've worked here and from what I hear is the reputation.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 11:51 am
TTH wrote:
Linkat good luck

Thanks. I just came back from one meeting. The bozo was late. He called me from his cell phone because he was on his way back in from lunch. That just made me enjoy giving a low raise. I did Gus' suggestion and laughed my head off in the review.

Actually I was angry about the lateness - I felt it was disrespectful especially since I have been working late at home the past several nights to write these things up. I spend alot of time and effort preparing these so hopefully they are of some use and not simply read and thrown in the trash.

Anyhow I gave him the letter and went over a few things from high level. Ask if he had any questions - No and ended it.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 01:00 pm
Linkat wrote:
Anyhow I gave him the letter and went over a few things from high level. Ask if he had any questions - No and ended it.

These things usually have a way of working themselves out. Some of them will work out easier than others, but I think most people will realize that you are the messenger.
0 Replies