Postmenopausal Women and Pregnancy

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2002 12:47 pm

Should a post-menopausal woman ( late 50s to late 60s ) be allowed to become pregnant by the use of donor eggs?

Question
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,548 • Replies: 11
No top replies

jespah

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2002 03:41 pm
I figure it's up to the woman, etc. And, I might add, many men reproduce well into their golden years (think Tony Randall). Women may need medical assistance, but why not? Personally, I think it's nuts, but I'm not going to start down the slippery slope of denying someone's reproductive rights in this fashion.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2002 04:24 pm
As long as the government/tax-payer doesn't have to pay any portion of it, I don't really care. I do care that the government picks up part of the tab for fertility treatments here - it makes me furious. Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2002 05:28 pm
This question represents an ethical consideration. Namely, are older parents as good for bringing up children as younger parents?

A woman is 60 and has a baby. At the age of 75, her child is 15. Now into old age, must that teenager give up joys of youth to take care of aging parents? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2002 05:34 pm
That's a distinctly different question, New Haven.

Now, given the situation where a couple is rich enough to afford these processes, they can probably afford superb care for themselves well into old age. At 75, it's unlikely they'll need care.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2002 05:35 pm
and how old is the woman's husband? she may be 60 and he may be 30 or 40. He'll be 45 or 55 when the child is 15. Not a problem in that case, either.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2002 05:45 pm
She might not even have a husband. Not relevant, however.

Age is relevant. No woman at 75 is the woman of 25. What's the life expectancy of the average American woman? Is it 73 years or less.

Relative to wealth, the average American at age 75 is NOT wealthy. Most would fall in the middle class, perhaps even lower. Net worth, according to Business magazines would be insufficient to put a child through college and/or take care of the child and parent (either well or sick ).

I don't think a 60 year woman should become a mother, for the first time. If there are donor eggs to be offered on the free market, then give them to young women. Idea
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2002 05:49 pm
New Haven, ehBeth said:

Quote:
Now, given the situation where a couple is rich enough to afford these processes, they can probably afford superb care for themselves well into old age.

I think that's a good point, and separate from the average income of that age bracket as a whole.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2002 05:55 pm
New Haven wrote:
What's the life expectancy of the average American woman? Is it 73 years or less.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life expectancy (1990-95)
Canada: Women (81 years old); Men (74 years old)
USA: Women (79 years old); Men (73 years old)
Sources: Wistat (Nations Unies)

the numbers since that study have increased bit further

there are also studies that show that the well-to-do have higher life expectancies in the u.s. as they have access to better health care.

Your opinion on the possibility of child-bearing past a certain age is clear. It's not something I would advocate, but again, if they can afford to do it, i really don't care. I also don't think people under a certain age should have children, and that's more of a concern, because tax-payers carry much more of a burden in those cases.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2002 06:24 pm
Health Crisis Looms As Life Expectancy Soars

http://216.239.51.100/search?q=cache:iKiABIYkvp4C:www.onestopenglish.com/News/Magazine/news%2520pdfs/lifeexpectancy1.pdf+USA+life+expectancy&hl=en&ie=UTF-8
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2002 06:43 pm
Personally, I don't think that it is a wise choice, but that is not for me to say with respect to other women. It is reallly up to the couple to decide what is best for themselves.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2003 09:23 am
With clone technology, it'll be possible for a 75 year old woman to become a mother. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies