sunscreen causes skin cancer

Chatter

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 09:43 am
Here's a thought: has anyone thought about the correlation between the increased use of sunscreen and the increase of skin cancer? I have a hard time beleiving that something as natural as the sun can cause cancer. I know, the environmentalists are raving about a hole in the ozone but what if the hole was always there, and we just recently have the ability to see it?

I'm not suggesting we should all lay in the sun and bake every day, but with a little common sense (which seems to be lacking anyway) we can enjoy the sun without pouring chemicals on our skin and without getting burned to a crisp.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,378 • Replies: 29
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 09:50 am
here here....Someone with common sense.

Where and when in history was there such a plethora of leisure time activity where you could dedicate a lifetime of sitting in the sun for hours? Not to mention those that do so close to the equator?
I avoid PABA because it makes my skin break out. Many people have reactions and rashes to PABA (sunblock chemical).
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 09:54 am
I've worked in the sun most of my life, went through a bout with skin cancer. I never used sunscreen before and still don't. I believe thre is a correlation between diet and overexposure to the sun, plus all the chemicals one comes in contact with. I don't think sun screen alone can protect us, and I don't like filling my pores up with it.
0 Replies

Chatter

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 10:59 am
I think that in general, we put way too many unnatural products on our skin. These chemicals leach into the blood stream. In so doing we might as well be drinking these lotions, etc. Speaking of ingesting chemicals, I'll step out on a limb here and suggest that perhaps the Food and Drug safety people in the U.S. and Health Canada in my country have safetied our food and water to such a point that it is killing us. If you consider what they put in our water to make it "safe" to drink it is frightening to consider what we are drinking. Now many households buy water with all that stuff removed so we can enjoy drinking it. Confused

I for one grow a huge garden (even though I don't really have time to look after it well) so I can feed my family chemical free veggies. I am very thankful I have the space to do so. Otherwise, who knows what we'd be eating. We could have died of cancer already.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 11:02 am
Quote:
has anyone thought about the correlation between the increased use of sunscreen and the increase of skin cancer?

Chatter- Maybe the correlation is that people who are out in the sun more, are more likely to use sunscreen than people who don't stay in the sun much. Remember, correlation does not necessarily mean causality. Also, stay out in intense sun long enough, and even the best sunscreen will not give adequate protection.
0 Replies

Chatter

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 11:07 am
Where I live, I am surrounded by old farmers who have spent 40 or more years working in the sun day after day. None of them have skin cancer. Their skin is brown and leathery from sun exposure but their biggest health problem is age-related body failures.

It would be nice if we would think about what these so-called authority figures are telling us before we believe so intently it becomes a religion.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 11:08 am
"a religion"

Oh oh. Now you've opened Pandora's box.
0 Replies

Chatter

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 11:14 am
Sorry!!! I realized that way too late. I take it back!!! Not a religion a strong desire to believe.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 11:17 am
Chatter wrote:
Sorry!!! I realized that way too late. I take it back!!! Not a religion a strong desire to believe.

I believe! I believe! The sun does not want mere mortals looking at him. So to punish them, he gives them skin cancer! :wink:
0 Replies

Chatter

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 11:23 am
Phoenix, WHY do you believe the sun causes skin cancer? It has not been proven. It cannot be proven because it is nearly impossible to create a perfect control group on either side to complete a flawless experiment. It would be impossible to have a group of people who never use any sort of chemical on their skin and have another group who always does and still have both groups leading exactly the same lifestyle and consuming the same foods. For all we know it's the chlorine in the water we drink and shower in that is causing cancers.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 11:31 am
Chatter- I know from personal experience. When I lived up north, I would vacation in Florida. It was a standing joke that every time I came home from vacation, I would immediately make an appointment with my dermatologist. Not terribly scientific, but I am convinced!

As far as some people being out in the sun and never getting skin cancer, I think that as with everything, there is an interaction between genetics and environment. Some people are more prone to develop skin cancer, others not.
0 Replies

Chatter

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 12:55 pm
I agree, some people are pre-disposed (if you will) to developing cancers. That being agreed upon, we cannot blame the sun, or any other so-called cancer causing agent. Smile
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 01:00 pm
Does it not have something to do with people desperate to look tanned? This is much more fashionable now than it used to be and leads to people spending long peiods in the sun "worshipping".

I don't know if this is true but doesn't the damage to the ozone layer mean that more of the sun's harmful rays are absorbed into our skin now?
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 01:01 pm
Oh and people with naturally fair skin, who usually come from cooler countries are now able to spend more time in hotter countries where their skin is unaccustomed to the more powerful and prolonged sun exposure.
0 Replies

Chatter

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 01:26 pm
As I mentioned before. I'm not convinced the hole in the ozone is a new thing. What if we just recently obtained the technology to be able to see it?
0 Replies

Coolwhip

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 02:39 pm
Recent studys show that vitamin D can prevent some types of cancer, so I a regarded doctor (from Norway) said that he discourages both staying completely out of the sun as well as staying too much in the sun. Especially people with lighter skin need to get some sun during the summer time, as it is a vital source of vitamin D.

I guess you have to find a balance between over and under exposure.
0 Replies

Chatter

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 02:42 pm
Well said. Everything in moderation.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 02:43 pm
But our need for sun exposure to produce vitamin D is satisfied with only a few minutes daily exposure (5-10 min). Not enough to burn, even if you're very fair-skinned (like me).

Excuse me, I just looked it up-- make that more like 10-15 minutes a day.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 04:03 am
My mother is a skin cancer survivor. She grew up when you went out and baked, and did not wear sunscreen until after she'd been diagnosed and treated. She's lived in the Northeast all her life (NY, NJ, PA) except for 2 months in Indiana, over 4 1/2 decades ago.

She got cancer from sun exposure. Yes, really.

The ozone layer has always been there; the hole has not. It is more dangerous to have more exposure now than it was even 10 or 20 years ago. Hence you see more cancers. You are also seeing more cancers in people who apply sunscreen because a lot of people misuse sunscreen. They are either not applying (and reapplying) it regularly or carefully, or are using it in order to stay out longer, rather than using it in order to be able to stay outside for a shorter, directed amount of time.

As for the folks who "stay out all day and don't have cancer", all that means is either they're getting 'em where you aren't seeing 'em, or they don't have 'em yet. It does take a while -- something like 15 years -- for skin cancers to emerge. Skin cancers can be very small, and they can be hard to spot if a person is tattooed.

My mother is alive because it was caught in time. Maureen Reagan and a bunch of other folks were nowhere near as lucky.

Skin cancer can kill you. It's nothing to be screwed with. http://www.skincancer.org/
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 04:11 am
Ragman wrote:
here here....Someone with common sense.

Where and when in history was there such a plethora of leisure time activity where you could dedicate a lifetime of sitting in the sun for hours? Not to mention those that do so close to the equator?

The rate of melanoma and skin cancer in Australia was higher in outdoor workers prior to promotion and use of sunscreen. Use of sunscreen is a mandatory occupational health and safety protocol for outdoor workers in Australia.

Interestingly enough a native shrub called Bursaria spinosa produces a natural sunscreen chemical which can be readily separated however it grows too slowly to be of commercial value.
0 Replies