Tiredness...

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 06:27 am
I've been finding lately that in the middle of the day I'm becoming often very tired, and physically cannot keep myself awake (quite bad when at work or driving), it's usually 1 hour after I've eaten lunch, and i seem to have to put all my energy into keeping myself awake lol. Maybe it's just me being paranoid but was wondering if there was anything wrong with me lol.

I heard off a friend that it could possibly be a condition connected with digestion of food. The thing is, after I've had a spurt of maybe 1-2 hours tiredness I feel fine again. I've been suffering with this for maybe a year now?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 797 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 06:36 am
Why do you think that some cultures have siestas after lunch? There is a natural dip in energy after lunch time.

If this condition has worsened recently, it micht be a good idea to have a medical checkup to rule out any physical problem.
0 Replies

Coolwhip

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 07:19 am
Tiredness and unnatural thirst are signs of diabetes. If you've been drinking more water than usual you might have developed type 2 diabetes.

In any case it is wise to see the doctor when something changes from what you are used to.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 07:25 am
What do you eat for lunch? Some foods have natural sedatives that can make you tired. By all means, follow Coolwhip's advice and get checked for blood sugar, but if your health is otherwise ok, you might consider doing some dietary research, or consult a nutritionist/dietitian.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 07:43 am
Quite possibly you're anemic--short of red blood cells and temporarily incapable of multi-tasking (as in digesting food and doing anything else).

See a doctor. You don't want to neglect a potentially serious condition and you don't want to fall asleep at the wheel.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 11:22 am
If you skip breakfast and your lunch is the first meal of the day, you might be experiencing a drop in blood sugar (called hypoglycemia). It's sort of the opposite of diabetes. Try eating breakfast (not overly sugared) and a mid-morning snack. See a doctor if you're still feeling sleepy after lunch.
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2007 08:39 pm
Depends also on the amount of food you take. If it's a full meal, it would take at least four hours for it to be digested completely. When we take heavy meals, the body's blood supply is drained toward the digestive organs. So, for a while, there might be low blood supply to your brain, causing that slump.

It happened to me all the time, then I put my science lessons into implementation. If this is not a specific disorder, which a medical test would find out, you could consider the following points:

#Take small meals. Instead of three big meals in a days, take five small meals at regular intervals.

#Are you sure you are chewing your food properly? Some people have the habit of thinking while eating. I know I do. This makes you take in larger bites. And that's a big menace for the digestive system. It would make the digestive process twice as longer.

#And it's not a good idea to do get back to rigorous work immediately after your meals. Give your body some rest. And never, ever exercise within two-three hours of taking a full meal.

#I also have a bad habit of snacking between meals. Snacking is not really bad, but it's persistent, it can further elongate/complicate the digestion.
0 Replies

stlstrike3

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 01:37 pm
Tiredness is a very very common complaint in the doctor's office.

Unfortunately, precious few patients leave the office happy with a diagnosis.

There can be any number of reasons that people are tired. I've seen some people list some excellent possibilities. Anemia, diabetes, hypothyroidism and chronic infections are common medical reasons for being tired. There is a normal drop in your blood sugar and some fatigue that occurs after meals, but it likely means that the composition of your lunch needs to be adjusted. If you skip breakfast, or have very little for breakfast, that effect is amplified. If you're overweight, you could be glucose intolerant and therefore can't process normal calories correctly (leading to diabetic-like symptoms).

The vast majority of the time, I have patients who have absolutely normal lab work. But they don't exercise enough, and they are not getting quality sleep (and that doesn't mean Ambien-less sleep).

Bottom line is, you absolutely need to see a doctor. But don't get mad at him/her if the final answer is, "You need to exercise more."
0 Replies