Answers to emode.com IQ test ( "the original IQ test" )

rufio

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2003 10:54 am
Especially since I already took back the "every" several times. Here we go again with selective reading.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2003 11:04 am
If my reading has been selective I apologize. If you see this happen in the future please stop me before I address your retracted point in detail, thusly saving me the time and effort.
0 Replies

wildstar

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 10:10 am
emode.com's IQ test
I guess question 3 has two answers (reasons anyway) 144 is 12 squared, and 121 is 11**, 100 is 10**, 81 is 9**, 64 is 8** then 7** is 49.

also the post below "1/8" is not in the question so use a pencil and calculate from 800/10=80/4=20/2=10
niky wrote:
Quote:
24. What number is one half of one quarter of one tenth of 800?

Question... I merely joined this board because this freaking question is bugging the HECK out of me... so far as I remember, the choices were

something else...

and as 1/2 of 1/4 is 1/8 and 1/10th of 800 is 80, I still can't figure WHAT THEY WANT you to answer...

This test is seriously f*d up...

and as others have noted:

Quote:
4. Even the most ___________ rose has thorns.

Answer: tempting

Explanation: because the other words don't make a sensical contrast

lonely in this case makes perfect contextual sense.

Quote:
7. John likes 400 but not 300; he likes 100 but not 99; he likes 2500 but not 2400. Which does he like?

Answer: 900

Explanation: search this site, Jespah answered this here before. Many of these questions are all over the net, that's why I doubt emode minds if the answers are posted.

I call BS on this, because I answered TWICE because the first results pissed me off (said I was only 133 :p), and by answering 1200, I got 135... that was the only change I made.

Quote:
20. In a race from point X to point Y and back, Jack averages 30 miles per hour to point Y and 10 miles per hour back to point X. Sandy averages 20 miles per hour in both directions. Between Jack and Sandy, who finished first?

Answer: sandy

Explanation: jack only catches up at the end

false... neither should win, as they average the same speed... all things being equal... and considering they leave the line at the same time, jack is in the lead at point Y and SANDY catches up at the finish line...

I've noticed only ONE question he got right that I didn't... what's up with this? why did I get 133?
0 Replies

ewoodlief

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2003 06:39 pm
right....
Question #24: What number is one half of one quarter of one tenth of 800?
Answer: "of" in mathspeak is also known as "multiplied by". So, 1/2 * 1/4 * 1/10 * 800 = 10.

Question #7: John likes 400 but not 300; he likes 100 but not 99.....
Answer: 900 because he likes "perfect squares" (i.e.: 30 * 30 = 900.)

Question #20: In a race from point X to point Y....
Answer: Sandy because on the way to point Y she is only traveling at 66% (2/3) of Jack's speed, but on the way back to point X she is traveling at 200% (doubled!!) of Jack's speed. This yields her a net speed differential of 33% faster travel than Jack. Try creating a scenario to illustrate what this means: say the distance between the two points is 100 miles. Jack would take 3 hours and 20 minutes to go to point Y and 10 hours to go back to point X for a total of 13 hours and 20 minutes. Sandy would take 5 hours to go to point Y and 5 hours to go back to point X for a total of 10 hours. 13 hours and 20 minutes is a longer amount of time than 10 hours, wouldn't you say? This works for any distance greater than 0. But, if one had the mental capacity to compare weighted averages, one would have never needed to use a scenario to answer the question.
0 Replies

scottbannock

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2004 03:26 am
Wow that was quite a thread. I signed up to reply to a post on the first page, but then realized there were 5 pages!

Well, since I'm here, here are my two cents:

3. Which number should come next? 144 121 100 81 64 ?

Both the perfect square theory and the diminishing odd differences theories are identical. Perfect squares can be expressed as n^2 = (n-1)^2 + 2(n)-1.

20. In a race from point X to point Y and back, Jack averages 30 miles per hour to point Y and 10 miles per hour back to point X. Sandy averages 20 miles per hour in both directions. Between Jack and Sandy, who finished first?
Jack
Sandy
They tie
Neither
Impossible to tell

Clearly, Sandy wins. Lots of great proofs of this. Here's a quick one: If Sandy traveled twice as fast (20 mph) over the whole course as Jack did on the back half (10 mph), then Sandy would have completed the whole course in the same amount of time, regardless of the length. Jack would have had to have traveled instantaneously on the first have to even tie.

On averaging averages. I don't recall the hard and fast rule about this prohibition. In this case, that rule wouldn't apply anyway because the speeds given are not averages. What is important to note is that speeds expressed as mph should be compared over constant times, not constant distances. If the speeds were expressed as minutes per mile, they could be combined over the fixed distances to provide a comparison. As demonstrated in an earlier posting.

26. Two cars start off at the same point on a straight highway facing opposite directions. Each car drives for 6 miles, takes a left turn, and drives for 8 miles. How far apart are the two cars?
2 miles
11 miles
14 miles
20 miles
26 miles

I just wanted to point out that the authors have conviently made this a 3-4-5 triangle so the math works out very easily.

27. Which one of these five things is least like the other four?
Plum
Grape
Apricot
Peach
Cherry

In addition to growing on vines, grapes also come in bunches and have multiple seeds.

33. Which one of the designs is least like the other four?

Square
Circle
Equilateral triangle
Rectangle
Right triangle

I just posted these because the choices were missing. (I chose the right triangle because it lacked symmetry. But I can why they think that circle is a better answer.

This has been entertaining as well as enlightening.

While reading through all the posts I have come up with two scientifically infallibly methods of measuring IQ. The first method involves giving the subject a battery of questions until the subject answers one incorrectly. The subject is then notified of the error, told the correct answer and the rationale. IQ is assigned based on the subjects reaction. For details on the second method, please send me $50.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 02:22 am
Welcome to A2K wildstar and scottbannock!
0 Replies

soulsikh

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 04:54 am
Well I'd like to say that the past few pages composed the greatest thread ...ever! Go Craven, and you too rufio. Among all the rants of validity, concessions, the reiterations and other well worded barbs there was a damn good read. There's not much to add to the topic that started it all, the emode iq test. Not even the fact that it was too easy regardless of whatever mental capacity you entertain yourself with, whether thought patterns originally manifesting from cultural stimuli or otherwise.

The point is to at least try to remain assertive when we have made a decision to believe in in our ever-rudimentary understanding of what we claim to understand. Opposition can only augment reason for faith in facts or fallacies.

Hey Craven! Would love to get into an argument with you some day! Here's one for starters; Cheese. Some if it tastes so good, but why does some of it smell so bad?! Or whatever makes you think these days!
0 Replies

efulitz

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 03:49 pm
My experience with the IQ test...
I was amused to see that I scored 133 on the Emode "Classic IQ test". That would theoretically place in the 98th percentile+, making me some sort of super genius (sic)! Well, if that was the case, then I suppose I would be among the incredible league of super geniuses on this message board (since everyone else here got high scores also). Hehe, well at least I can say that I wasn't stupid enough to go for the bait, and fork out $14.95 for a (likely bogus) report with the details of my test results (no offense to those who did pay). All I really wanted was to see were the answers, so I did a google.com search on "answers emode iq test", which brought me to this thread. From the answer key here, I see that I made a LOT of mistakes (see the end of this post for a detailed play by play of my follies).

The questions I screwed up on were #'s 7, 8, 11, 19, 20, and 26. In retrospect, I still see some logic in my "incorrect" answer for question 7 (though still wrong). My incorrect answers for rest of the questions were just utterly pitiful and moronic. For instance, I'm sure I would have gotten #8 right if I had actually thought about it at all. But nooooooo.... I saw the first answer choice (disturbing) and went with it without even considering the other possible answers (disturbingly stupid ain't it?). I mean this question is as close to a "no-brainer" as possible on an IQ test. Doh! Well enough of me whining of my stupidity, what logic do I still see in my "incorrect" answer for question 7?

Using my spectacular 1st grade level mathematic skills (for question #7), I concluded that John seemed to like the higher numbers. 400 is bigger than 300, 100 is bigger than 99, etc... So figuring, the bigger the better, Johnathan would have to prefer 1200 right? BUZZZZZZZZZZ! Wrong! Hey don't laugh at me now. There is a smidgin of logic there, even if it is purely guise. My mistake was to only compare grouped numbers instead of looking at the big picture (kind of tricky they way they word it, like a trick question). Now I understand that it's 900 because Johnny boy only likes numbers that are perfect squares (<- what a dorkwad). Props goes out for the explanation on this Jay.

I'm still kind of confused about question #11. Yeah, I know my answer is wrong. I ain't going to dispute that. Could someone please explain why the answer is so, in more detail? My thoughts went along the line of, well if some dogs are shitzos (a breed), and some shitzos are bitches (female), some dogs are definitely bitches! Uhhhh.. well maybe that wasn't a good example (aaa....hahaha...sorry that was completely retarded), but I don't get why some Wicks aren't definitely Snicks in question # 11. Looks like a smorgasbord of information on tap here on "A2k". Hopefully I can learn a lot.

7. John likes 400 but not 300; he likes 100 but not 99; he likes 2500 but not 2400. Which does he like?

Correct answer: 900; My incorrect answer: 1200

8. A fallacious argument is:
Disturbing
Valid
False
Necessary

Correct answer: False; My incorrect answer: Disturbing

11. If some Wicks are Slicks, and some Slicks are Snicks, then some Wicks are definitely Snicks. The statement is:
True
False
Neither

Correct answer: False; My incorrect answer: True

19. Sue is both the 50th best and the 50th worst student at her school. How many students attend her school?

Correct answer: 99; My incorrect answer: 101

Jack
Sandy
They tie
Neither
Impossible to tell

Correct answer: Sandy; My incorrect answer: They Tie

26. Two cars start off at the same point on a straight highway facing opposite directions. Each car drives for 6 miles, takes a left turn, and drives for 8 miles. How far apart are the two cars?
2 miles
11 miles
14 miles
20 miles
26 miles

Correct answer: 20; My incorrect answer: 26

Pssst... told you my answers were pitiful. Oh well. Could be worse.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 03:52 pm
efulitz -Hey, we're glad you are here, even if you messed up some of the answers. Welcome to Able2Know! Very Happy
0 Replies

scottbannock

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2004 12:06 am
efulitz, Congratulations you scored a 158 on my IQ test. (See above)

Quote:
I'm still kind of confused about question #11. Yeah, I know my answer is wrong. I ain't going to dispute that. Could someone please explain why the answer is so, in more detail? My thoughts went along the line of, well if some dogs are shitzos (a breed), and some shitzos are bitches (female), some dogs are definitely bitches! Uhhhh.. well maybe that wasn't a good example (aaa....hahaha...sorry that was completely retarded), but I don't get why some Wicks aren't definitely Snicks in question # 11. Looks like a smorgasbord of information on tap here on "A2k". Hopefully I can learn a lot.

What you should do on a question like this is draw an vin diagram. From your post I know that if you don't know what a vin diagram is you are smart enough to find out. In this case you could draw the diagram so that Wicks and Snicks intersect or the don't. This means that you can't say *DEFINITELY* whether some wicks are snicks or not. I missed this one too. I missed the definitely and selected neither, because, maybe some wicks are snicks and maybe they're not. How dumb is that? Picking neither on a true false question? Hope that helps.
0 Replies

efulitz

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 06:28 am
-Phoenix32890,
I appreciate the warm welcome.

-scottbannock ,
Whoa! 158 on your test? SWeeeeet! Thanks to you, I now understand the rationale behind question #11. The Venn diagram really helped me to visualize it.
0 Replies

san265

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 01:58 pm
On question 7. John likes 400 but not 300; he likes 100 but not 99; he likes 2500 but not 2400. Which does he like?

I came up with the answer 1000 - my thinking was - by starting with 100 if you add 300 each, then 300 again and so forth, eventually you will get 1000. ( as well as the other numbers John likes: 400, 2500). The only thing that did not make since was stating with 100 (if he only likes numbers in multiple of 300, 100 would not fit.

I belive there can be more than one answer to some of the questions and your total IQ score is calculated on the individual choices each person makes, not necessarily a "right" or "wrong" answer.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 02:01 pm
As an aside that is the question I would not have answered correctly had I not already known the answer (someone had already asked that question on this site and jespah answered it before I took the test).

Welcome to A2K, san265!
0 Replies

bgarber92

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 05:43 pm
MEN definitley WOMEN?
scottbannock wrote:
efulitz, Congratulations you scored a 158 on my IQ test. (See above)

Quote:

OKay... If some MEN are BLONDS and some BLONDS are WOMEN, then some MEN are definitley WOMEN. FALSE!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 05:55 pm
Very nicely illustrated! Welcome to A2K!
0 Replies

efulitz

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2004 04:06 am
Kudos on the nice example
bjarber92 wrote:
OKay... If some MEN are BLONDS and some BLONDS are WOMEN, then some MEN are definitley WOMEN. FALSE!

Nice example there for question #11 (much better than mine). I think you have to first understand the logic to make a feasible "real world" example, otherwise preconceptions of the real life objects can cloud judgement. Such as the retarded "shitzo" example I used when I was taking the test. I didn't understand the logic of the question so I just tossed in some objects that seemed to meet the said criteria.

I wrote:
My thoughts went along the line of, well if some dogs are shitzos (a breed), and some shitzos are bitches (female), some dogs are definitely bitches! Uhhhh.. well maybe that wasn't a good example (aaa....hahaha...sorry that was completely retarded), but I don't get why some Wicks aren't definitely Snicks in question # 11.

So with these same "real world" preconceptions for your example, I would have probably thought "hmm.. yeah, some men are definitely women, i.e. hermaphrodites". Even though it had nothing to do with the criteria of the question. Now that I understand the rationale (thanks to scottbannock), I wouldn't make this mistake. Kudos on the excellent example bjarber92 and welcome to A2K.
0 Replies

Joseph

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2004 08:23 pm
Question 11:Semantics and Logic.. "Definitely" vs
This is my first post, so go easy on replys. I bit for the "IQ" test and got 142, which I see now is worth as much as the assessment of "Visionary Philosopher". (By the way, they give a demo IQ 'report' where the person scored 80 [moron] and *also* listed them as "Visionary Philosopher".) Anyway, I guess I shall have to put them in my SPAM filter, now that my EMail is in their database.

There seems to be ongoing confusion about Question 11, which I also missed, if someone asserts that "False" was the correct answer. For reference the question/answer of concern:

11. If some Wicks are Slicks, and some Slicks are Snicks, then some Wicks are definitely Snicks. The statement is:

Answer: false

Explanation: "definitely" seals the deal ( It does ????????? )

Anyway, I shall try to explain why I selected "Neither", which in my semantics means "Neither True nor False" = = "Inpossible to tell". I shall use curley braces, square brackets, and parentheses to represent the total populations of Wicks as A, Slicks as B, and Snicks as C:

{Wicks} [Slicks] (Snicks)
{ A } ..... [ B ] ..... ( C )
Overlap between any group can be denoted by pairs such as adjacent Left-Right collections: [ only B { B and A ] only A }.

Ok, "If some Wicks are Slicks" gives us an easy start. There can be
only one arrangement: [ B { B, A ] A } . Read another way, "some Wicks {A} are also not Slicks ".

Next "some Slicks are Snicks" gives at least two possibilities to add to the
above diagram, while not violating the requirement "Some WIcks are Slicks".

(1) NO slicks are Wicks: (C [ B,C ) { B,A ] A }
Ie- Visualize C overlapping with B but not A, and A overlapping with B
but not C. Conclusion => False in this case

(2) Some slicks are definitely snicks (C) and some wicks {A} are definitely Snicks (C):
.......... [ B ] { A }............ Only Wicks & only Slicks
..... [ B { A,B ] A } ............. Some Wicks are Slicks
[ B (C,B { A,B,C ] C,A ) A } ... . Some snicks are slicks, some snicks are *definitely* wicks and slicks, and some snicks are *definitely* wicks
... [ B (B,C ] C { C,A ) A } ... Some snicks are slicks and some snicks are wicks
............ ( C ) .................Only snicks.

Ie- Visualize three rings A, B, and C with parts mutually overlapping and
other parts mutually exclusive.
Conclusion ==> True in this case
So, no further information is given leaves (1) and (2) as possible answers, leading to NEITHER True Nor False, Not False. Their use of the semantic "definitely" is useless in explaining anything.

Now I have everyone confused, my apologies in advance; but emode is just plain darn wrong!
0 Replies

Joseph

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2004 08:37 pm
emode has "squares"
I shall promise this one will be (much) shorter. Two other questions:

3. Which number should come next? 144 121 100 81 64 ?

Answer: 49

Explanation: - 23 - 21 - 19 - 17 the next one is 64 - 15

In both instances, I can say "emode" likes squares of integers, which are the correct answers. In number 3, we have the squares of the sequence of integers 12, 11, 10, 9, 8..... so the next one expected is the square of 7 which is 49. (Now, what were they drinking when they gave the 'explanation' of "23 - 21 - 19 - 17 the next one is 64 - 15" ????) . In question 7, again the use of squares of the integers 20, 10, and 50; so, the only logical answer is 900 which is the square of 30.

See, I told you it would be brief!
0 Replies

Joseph

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2004 08:58 pm
Emode's Question 20: Jack vs Sandy
Ok, looks like I am on a roll, so bear with me one more time. In the question below, I *almost* bit on the faulty logic that their speed 'averages' out, so they should arrive the same time. Fortunately, I used a bit of algebra, but you can do it much easier than solve for the comparative times in terms of distance:

Answer: sandy

Explanation: jack only catches up at the end ..........(?? Yeah, losers usually do!)

Hmmmm... This is how to solve it:...Use a distance between points X and Y that 30 and 20 will divide into easily (10 divides into either, so we do not worry about that). Suppose the distance from point X to Point Y was 60 miles, so the total round trip times for each is as follows:
(1) Jack
Point X to Y... 60 miles/30 miles/hr = 2 hrs
Point Y to X... 60 miles/10 miles/hr = 6 hrs
Total Time ........................................ 8 hrs

(2) Sandy
Point X to Y ... 60 miles/20 miles/hr = 3 hrs
Point Y to X ... 60 miles/20 miles/hr = 3 hrs
Total Time ........................................ 6 hrs

Answer: Sandy

("Explanation: Jack only catches up in the end"..???? How the heck does
this explain anything?.... does anyone at emode ever read their 'explanations' OR their 'answers'?)
0 Replies

Joseph

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2004 09:24 pm
Good Post Scott (scottbanister). I forgot all about the equivalence between perfect squares and diminishing odd differences, which I took in Discrete Math about 16+ years ago. Now emode's answer makes a (slight) bit of sense, even though most persons nowadays cut their teeth on multiplication and graduate to squares of numbers in the 3rd? grade. (Back in xxxx, I did not learn multiplication tables & division until the 4th grade.)

The question:
Which one of the designs is least like the other four?

Square
Circle
Equilateral triangle
Rectangle
Right triangle

For what it is worth, I selected the circle, because it was the only one that was NOT a polygon. Ie- Not constructed of straight lines.
0 Replies