In all-out world war against radical Islam,Dems trusted more

nimh

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 03:15 pm
The last FOX News/Opinion Dynamics Poll, published on 28 June 07, had Bush's Job Rating down at 31%, and had just 30% approving of the job the Republicans in Congress are doing.

It had Giuliani topping the favourability charts (54% favourable), with Edwards, Gore, McCain, Hillary and Obama all trailing close by with between 46%-49% favourable ratings, while after Paris Hilton (73%) and George Bush (59%), the highest unfavourable rating went to Hillary (47%).

It also had Hillary increasing her lead over Obama in the Democratic primary though, from 13 points in early June (36% vs 23%) to 23 points now (42% vs 19%). In the Republican primary, it had Giuliani rebounding a little to 29%, with McCain and Fred Thompson following at 17% and 15%.

Well, all the usual questions were asked. You can read all the results here.

And then the Fox News pollsters went on a bit of a tangent.

In question 24, they asked:

Quote:
24. If there is an all-out war between the United States and various radical Muslim groups worldwide, who would you rather have in charge -- Democrats or Republicans? (ROTATE)

Now this is a most atypically worded question. At TPM Cafe, they called it "what may well be the ultimate in jingoistic, rally-around-the-flag questions". At the Prospect, it was called "a truly egregious question".

But here's the kicker: the Dems won it.

Quote:
41% Democrats
38% Republicans
9% (Both the same)
12% (Don't know)

At TPMCafe, Eric Kleefeld comments:

Quote:
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 442 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 03:35 pm
well here's the deal... the democrats might very well completely f**k up in a leadership position in a war.... the republicans on the other hand HAVE done so in a very large and demonstrable way.

Having said that let me say that we don't know how the repubs might do either... because since 2000 we have had self serving maniacs leading our country that are not republicans but have masqueraded as such.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 03:38 pm
I think that Democrats will say Democrats, but now Republicans are no longer sure because of the unbelievably awful job that's been done so far. So if I had to wager I'd say most of those "I don't know" votes are Republicans.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 03:48 pm
I dunno duckie.... I voted don't know because the repubs, or those calling themselves that anyway, are homicidal sociopaths... and the democrats are spineless pussies.

either of those approaches could lead us to the abyss.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 03:59 pm
Oh I voted I don't know too. But you and I are not so partisan, eh. In general, these polls tend to go high 40's to high 40's dems to repubs. So I'm thinking that if the Republicans aren't faring well it's because their voters don't believe in them anymore.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 04:07 pm
I'll buy that. btw, get me a beer would ya?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 04:11 pm
Of course. I'll get it from the freezer like you like it and you can be sure to slap me on the ass as I walk by. Shall I bake you a pie while I'm in the kitchen?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 04:15 pm
that'll give my beer time to heat up. Jesus, why do I even put up with you? Oh yeah, that hot ass, I forgot.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 04:15 pm
(just an OCD remark: though it would be nice if Dems "won" it, although it's a mind-boggingly weird question, you know that there is an up to 5% sample error in most surveys, so a 3% difference doesn't tell much. It's more or less tied.... Depending of course on how and where they polled, when, what's the random sample like, etc etc... But nevermind me.)
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 04:21 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
I think that Democrats will say Democrats, but now Republicans are no longer sure because of the unbelievably awful job that's been done so far. So if I had to wager I'd say most of those "I don't know" votes are Republicans.

There's a breakdown by party in the link.. wait, I'll bring it here..

Code:Muslim groups worldwide, who would you rather have in charge -- Democrats or
Republicans? (ROTATE)

Democrats Republicans (Both the same) (Don't know)
41% 38% 9% 12%
By party pref:
Democrats 75% 7% 9% 9%
Republicans 5% 82% 5% 9%
Independents 30% 31% 19% 20%
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 04:23 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
(just an OCD remark: though it would be nice if Dems "won" it, although it's a mind-boggingly weird question, you know that there is an up to 5% sample error in most surveys, so a 3% difference doesn't tell much. It's more or less tied.... Depending of course on how and where they polled, when, what's the random sample like, etc etc... But nevermind me.)

True true, but already covered in the opening post:

Quote:
Granted, the result is within the poll's three-point margin of error, so we can't say with certainty that the Dems have a lead here. But really, this bespeaks truly terrible times for the GOP.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 04:24 pm
oops.

I suffer from the case of Typebeforeyoureadthoroughlyotitis.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 04:25 pm
Dont worry, everyone here does.
0 Replies