Do Christians believe in ghosts?

OmSigDAVID

Tue 24 May, 2011 06:04 pm
@wayne,
wayne wrote:
I can't say as I recall anything about Jesus being anti ghost.
I also grew up in a strong Christian environment,
I suppose a lot depends upon what our elders believed when we were taught.
I was left with the impression that Christians didn't take part in things related to the occult.
But I can't say that is necessarily the way.
I have Christian friends who are quite interested in ghosts and such.
It just seems odd, given my upbringing.
Well, when Christians (or anyone) go back to Heaven (as Jesus did),
thay r ghosts, right ?? Thay don 't take their human bodies along with them.

At Easter time, we celebrate Jesus' return to Heaven, right ??
As a ghost, right??? (He did not take his human body along with him.)

I re-iterate:
when people (including Christians) return from death in hospitals
(this is not unusual anymore; my dead friend, Neil, died 12 times in the Las Vegas Veterans' Hospital)

Christianity does not address ghosts any more than it addresses chemical engineering
or mountain climing or teaching grammar. Yes ?

David
wayne

Tue 24 May, 2011 06:41 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
That's true.
I think my thoughts were mostly attributable to my upbringing, never really thought about it much.
I'm not a believer in the apparition type of ghost.
I see no reason for ghosts to conform to anything like human shape.
The spirit seems more likely to be smaller than a quark.
Foofie

Tue 24 May, 2011 07:14 pm
Ghosts, if I saw one, would be scary. Christians when I see one, are not scary. If they are practicing Christians (aka, church going), I am actually more relaxed in their presence than when in the presence of non-practicing Christians.
OmSigDAVID

Wed 25 May, 2011 12:12 am
@wayne,
wayne wrote:
That's true.
I think my thoughts were mostly attributable to my upbringing, never really thought about it much.
I'm not a believer in the apparition type of ghost.
I see no reason for ghosts to conform to anything like human shape.
The spirit seems more likely to be smaller than a quark.
People who have returned from death in hospitals
have referred to it as like being squeezed into a Mayonnaise jar.
Some have described it as like being put back in jail.
No one mentioned being smaller than a quark.
Young ex-dead children have described reverting to adult status
until thay got back into their human bodies.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Wed 25 May, 2011 12:16 am
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:
Ghosts, if I saw one, would be scary.
For what reason?
In a worst-case scenario, what 's there to fear ?
I 'd enjoy interviewing one.

Ionus

Wed 25 May, 2011 12:32 am
@OmSigDAVID,
I have always wondered why ghosts wear clothes .
OmSigDAVID

Wed 25 May, 2011 12:34 am
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:
I have always wondered why ghosts wear clothes .
Maybe thay r not nudists ?
Ionus

Wed 25 May, 2011 12:38 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Maybe we are seeing their memory of themselves .
OmSigDAVID

Wed 25 May, 2011 12:46 am
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:
Maybe we are seeing their memory of themselves .
That 's how WE dress.

David
0 Replies

Aein

Tue 29 Nov, 2011 01:13 pm
@saab,
Reading the Bible is a better way to know the truth and it will set you free.
First start reading Ecclesiastes, if will tell you what happened to the dead.
0 Replies

FOUND SOUL

Tue 29 Nov, 2011 02:04 pm
@Ionus,
To me, I would "guess" that they will appear as a fond memory of when they were here.. I don't know of many women that wear flowy white nightgowns, but alot of female ghosts have been described as wearing one.

What I do believe, as I have seen it, and I have read many other simular stories, is that you will or should not see their face...nor will they allow you to touch them I've often wondered why that is.

Yet, I also know as a child I had a hand print when I work up, on my leg, large and deep... No one had come into my room, so a ghost can touch you (a soul) but you can never touch a ghost?

I also believe in lost souls duh given my name:) I also believe in logical explainations for certain things. I was not baptised but I've seen enough to know in my mind, throughout my life that there are spirits, what we call ghosts as much as there are scientific thoughts of explainations for say, esp, being able to talk to someone without words and follow those actions.

Those two souls are alive for instance, yet one can request a tissue from rooms away behind closed doors in their mind, and the other, stops, drys her hands, grabs a tissue and takes it to the person who mentally asked.... Did that when I was young too... Can be scary either way when young to see things, or experience things like that.

Interesting when you are older.

0 Replies

Aein

Tue 29 Nov, 2011 03:24 pm
@beccagrl28,
Romans 6:7 "For he who has died has been acquitted from (his) sin"
There is no fiery-torment when we die. Bible says something different about hell-fire, fiery-torment, its only 2nd death, not where you will go to because you are a sinner. Ecclesiastes 9:5 says "For the living are conscious that they wil die; but as for the dead, they are conscious of nothing at all, neither do they anymore have wages, because he remembrance of them has been forgotten."
OmSigDAVID

Tue 29 Nov, 2011 04:48 pm
@Aein,
Aein wrote:
Romans 6:7 "For he who has died has been acquitted from (his) sin"
There is no fiery-torment when we die. Bible says something different about hell-fire, fiery-torment, its only 2nd death, not where you will go to because you are a sinner. Ecclesiastes 9:5 says "For the living are conscious that they wil die; but as for the dead, they are conscious of nothing at all, neither do they anymore have wages, because he remembrance of them has been forgotten."
No one is "dead"; it is only his outer covering -- his meat suit-- that is defunct.

"Death" is only an idle superstition.

There have been complaints of hell
from suicides and from atheists.
0 Replies

McTag

Wed 30 Nov, 2011 11:51 am

Christians have got to believe in ghosts, do they not? Or at least one.
OmSigDAVID

Wed 30 Nov, 2011 12:00 pm
@McTag,
McTag wrote:
Christians have got to believe in ghosts, do they not? Or at least one.
The one inside him ?
cicerone imposter

Wed 30 Nov, 2011 01:06 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Yup, the "holy ghost." Is that like anything that resembles the human soul?
spendius

Wed 30 Nov, 2011 01:10 pm
@cicerone imposter,
No, but the ghost of 'lectricity that howls in the bones of her face is supposed to do a bit.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Thu 1 Dec, 2011 12:30 am
@cicerone imposter,
Yes
0 Replies

plainoldme

Wed 21 Dec, 2011 12:53 am
I recently experienced a series of events that someone suggested may have been the actions of a ghost. Sunday was the birthday of a former boyfriend. While I was washing dishes, I remembered a time that he and I went tobogganing with another couple. The other man was his closest friend through grade school, high school and college but I believe that when they were in medical school, the two were estranged. I no longer remembered his last name.

That bothered me. My parents were instrumental in breaking up this relationship. they hated him. Despite their feelings toward him, I called my father to ask if he remembered the last name. My father exhibited his usual negativism toward that set of people.

I decided to google my former. What came up was his obituary. I was devastated. My heart is genuinely heavy.

I continued to try to remember his friend's last name and it finally came to me this evening. I looked him up, and, since no internet addy was available, I wrote him a note, asking whether he was aware that our mutual friend had died.

The pain lessened once the letter was complete. A friend suggested that perhaps the spirit of my former boyfriend wanted both of us to know he was dead and communicated this story to me, so that I would contact the other.

Frankly, I think there is less to it. Sunday was my ex's birthday and I always think of him on his birthday. The memory was triggered because it partially involved privacy and I had been thinking of privacy. The pain I felt was real, because I loved him. However, as I hadn't seen him in 40 years, how long could mourning go on?
OmSigDAVID

Wed 21 Dec, 2011 02:27 am
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:
The pain I felt was real, because I loved him.
However, as I hadn't seen him in 40 years, how long could mourning go on?
I offer my condolences for your loss.
The period of your mourning will be determined by your subconscious mind,
but u can consciously program it, if u wish to do so.

David