On This Day in History

Letty

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2003 09:41 am
Fifty years ago, on July 27, 1953, the Korean War armistice was signed at Panmunjom, ending three years of fighting.

The London Symphony Orchestra is once again in Daytona Beach and presenting a concert to honor Korean veterans.

And here we are right back where we started. Crying or Very sad

Perhaps someday, there will be a peace celebration. I would give the saber rattlers a piece of my mind, but I can't spare it. Smile

Should you be able to celebrate peace, how would you go about it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,512 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2003 03:39 pm
<sigh>

Historically, we seem to celebrate peace by huge ticker-tape parades for the victors, with tanks on flatbeds rolling fown 5th Ave. and Main Street.

<sigh>
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2003 04:33 pm
I'd celebrate peace quietly at home, preferably with a loved one, and I'd play soft music - all those trumpets, tubas and stuff sound too much like a prelude to war to me. In a crowd or concert celebration, I wouldn't be able to stop wondering if the smiling folks around me weren't the same ones who not too long ago were beating the drums. And now when I hear the word "peace" I think of a movie quote - a quote from The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean - a quote that gave me chills:

"I want peace -- and I don't care who I have to kill to get it." <sigh>
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2003 05:05 pm
Ah, Andrew and Raggedy, It's just as my friend once told me. When things get to running too smoothly, someone just has to screw it up.
But should I be able to celebrate peace, it wouldn't be with a flower stuck in a rifle, it would be with you guys. We think alike, I think.
0 Replies

acepoly

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2003 05:46 am
If peace does come, the ceremony that follows should be a combination of mourning and celebration. Mourning is supposed to be attributed to those who lost their lives of both sides in the war. For many, they are not in the least able to determine for themselves a life that is going to make peace in this world. Most people are just like cogs in the big machine and behave as told. I don't believe that ordinary people, a lot of which are enlisted to the army, will choose to have a war instead of a peaceful life. Many are just victims of ridiculous propaganda and incited by distorted messeges to become extreme and patriotic diehards who feel orgy only when killing enemies and even if they themselves are wasted. These people should not be so incriminated as those abettors. For them, a ceremony of mourning is necessary. Of course, celebration is indispensable as well. The victory, not of the victor country but of the peace and justice, promises the suffered people a belated peaceful life for which they have waited for too long. The celebration will definitely give rise to empathy among people of differenet cultures, ethnicities and races.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2003 06:44 am
Well said, acepoly, and your observations would be the ideal way to come together in celebration. Unfortunately, there will always be saber rattlers. Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

acepoly

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2003 09:10 am
I agree, Letty, that things usually don't turn out to be what we expect of them to be, and to be an idealist will only drive you nuts. But don't let being perfect get in the way of perfection. While one deeply involved in being perfect will certainly make an objectoinable cynic, concertration on perfection betters the prospects of our life. If you are bound to fail to find out something that is perfect, you won't be frustrated if you focus on making for the better.

Several lines in a french movie A la folie, pas du tout, are most illuminating.

"Though my love is insane, my reason calms the pain in my heart. It tells me to be patient and keep hoping" -- An erotomaniac confined for over 50 years.

For many, maniacs of being prefect, of faulting everything and of overlooking the merits, what the erotomaniac said is a good advice to take.

Cheer up, Letty Smile
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2003 10:19 am
Oxymorons of life--paradoxes of time--I'm cheered up, already Very Happy

The observation of the erotomaniac's rationale was just another olio of odd reasoning that bears a tiny grain of fruit..
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2003 12:31 pm
In the summer of 1953, Elvis Presley went to the Sun studio to record two songs for his mother's birthday. Phillips noticed him and decided Presley deserved a recording contract.

http://www.geocities.com/elvismdb/news.htm
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2003 02:58 pm
John Oak, Your link was temporarily unavailable. but then, so is poor old Elvis, unless you count all the sightings. Laughing
0 Replies