Some days may feel long, but the years fly by

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2007 07:40 am
M is Two today. (Despite me, I should add! Smile )

Made it this far! And I have loved every minute of it. Even when she's been unwell, and though she prefers decorating the wall and carpet with her cereal to eating it. I love that she translates words from Hindi to English and vice versa for me, just in case I didn't understand. I love that she can't see a puddle she doesn't want to splash in. That she sits in her car seat behind me as I drive us to daycare and work or shopping or zoo or duckpond - and bangs her feet against my seat. I love that she throws things down and says: oh, it fell. I love that she hugs the phone to her face every evening when daddy calls to say goodnight to her. And keeps her lips stuck to it all the while he's talking to her. I love that she lies in bed and whines in the morning when she wakes up and doesn't see me there. And breaks into a big wide smile as soon as I walk in the door. I love her loud, emphatic 'no' when I ask her if she wants to eat blueberries. And her yuss yuss yuss, and then yuss peesh, whenever I ask her if she'd like to eat ice cream - morning noon or night.

Two years. I can't imagine how that happened.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,824 • Replies: 25
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2007 07:49 am
Awww, what a wonderful post!

Happy birthday M!
0 Replies

Heatwave

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2007 08:37 am
Thanks, Sozobe.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2007 08:39 am
Happy birthday, m'kay?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2007 09:35 am
Heatwave--

Birthdays are always days of quiet triumph for mothers. You've earned your glory.

Happy B-Day to M.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

Heatwave

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2007 10:08 am
Thank you, Noddy. Smile

She also likes to color the carpet instead of her book. Eats with two spoons sometimes. Loves bubbles. And trains. And says complicated Hindi words like badal garjey bijli chamki and complicated English words like rhodo-don (rhododendron).
0 Replies

Heatwave

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2007 10:08 am
Thank you, DrewDad.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2007 10:13 am
Happy birthday, littleM - and congratulations on the good work Mom!
0 Replies

Heatwave

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2007 10:27 am
Thank you, EhBeth.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2007 10:39 am
awww...

happy birthday mama. Smile
Happy birthday little M.

for beans 2nd birthday , we had a planting day.

Took several small plastic cups and dug dirt out of the yard and burried beans and other things in it to see what would grow.

We still have one of those bean plants now.. a year and a half later.
Some how, that bean plant is special too.

Funny.. how things like that can mean a whole lot isnt it?

( hug )
0 Replies

sakhi

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 12:00 am
_Heatwave_ wrote:
Thank you, Noddy. Smile

She also likes to color the carpet instead of her book. Eats with two spoons sometimes. Loves bubbles. And trains. And says complicated Hindi words like badal garjey bijli chamki

badal garjey..Smile...now, that's cute.

Happy Birthday to M!
0 Replies

Heatwave

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 07:22 am
Shewolf, thanks. That was a really nice idea. I can completely understand nurturing the bean plant along. Someday, when we have a house and don't live in a pokey apartment, M & I will surely do some planting as well. Hang a tyre from a tree too....

Sakhi, thanks. Isn't it cute? She's my little sponge. Just for your hindi-understanding ears, she also says mommy nangu when I come out of the shower.

M likes to play baby elephant mommy elephant and baby elephant daddy elephant. It means crawling on the floor with her.....underneath me. Her favorite present from yesterday is the manga noodle (magnadoodle).
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 08:30 am
Aw. Happy belated birthday, M.

BTW, there's no terrible twos. The twos are great! It's the three almost four's you have to worry about. Enjoy!
0 Replies

Heatwave

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 10:46 am
Thanks, FreeDuck. I kept hearing that it's the next stage that'll be harder. So far, it's still the next one. (We did just fine the day she decided to stop being stationary and crawled all the way, right across our livingroom. Did fine when she started walking and then running and now jumping up and down on the bed. Still fine though she climbs on top of the sofa and threatens to jump off the highest side.)

Hopefully, it'll always be the next stage that'll be harder. I can't wait.

Just a little while ago I called her daycare to find out how she did with her lunch. She fed herself her chicken stew with the spoon facing down. Ummm....yeah.
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 11:07 am
Hope M had a fabulous birthday. I'd give anything for my girl to be 2 again!
0 Replies

Heatwave

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 11:10 am
She did, thank you, Dorothy. Yes, I'm in no hurry for M to grow up. I enjoy every day with her. This can last a while, yes. I'm in nooooo rush.

I read about your daughter's raincoat elsewhere. I 'spy' on M too, every day when I drop her off/pick her up. Just to see what she does when I'm not there. It's a little thrilling, that kind of spying.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 06:31 pm
Oops I'm late. I hope you and she had a wonderful day. Smile
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 06:56 pm
FreeDuck wrote:

BTW, there's no terrible twos. The twos are great! It's the three almost four's you have to worry about. Enjoy!

HA!
You beat me to it.

As i sit here with red cheeks, chosing to NOT battle over the fact that she wants a diffrent color soap then what she has and WONT use it again in the whole wide world ( her words) and tried to dump the entire bottle in the toilet .. Confused

yeah

the twos were great! Laughing
0 Replies

sakhi

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2007 11:21 pm
_Heatwave_ wrote:

Sakhi, thanks. Isn't it cute? She's my little sponge. Just for your hindi-understanding ears, she also says mommy nangu when I come out of the shower.

Very Happy
0 Replies

Heatwave

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 02:07 pm
jespah - thank you for the wishes. She did have a wonderful day. She did not know 'presents' before, and since then - I field daily requests for pwesents.

Shewolfnm - how did that episode end?

Yesterday, as I work on the computer, M decides to pick up the empty waste-paper basket and put in near my chair. The chair sits on one of the plastic mat-thingys that protect the carpet and let the chair slide smoothly. Well. Once she places the basket on the mat, she decides to stand in it. I watch from the corner of my eye - waiting for the inevitable. One little foot goes in. Basket slides forward. M hops a little to keep up and not fall. I let her. Basket steadies up. Out comes the foot. M picks up basket and carts it right back to it's original spot.

It was hard not to laugh out loud. After 3 minutes I gave up trying. Sat down on the carpet with her and laughed. And picked her up and took her back to the basket and said: M - can you please put your foot in her again, and slide? I believe it's the first time I've seen her look sheepish.
0 Replies