Are these two Sentences Correct?

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 05:16 pm
Good Morning everyone (well, it is 1am here - Good day to all other people who are somewhere where it is not morning) Smile

I'm nearly done with my thesis (apart from the final conclusion). Right now there are just two sentences about which I'm totally unsure whether they are correct or not. It would be awesome if you could just tell me if they are alright or if I have to rephrase them:

1. "He is even capable of sending him to his death."
--> Can you send someone "to his death"? The context is that Hamlet loves his father so much, that his father has the absolute power over him. He is so powerful, that he can make Hamlet do anything - even if this leads to Hamlet's death (I hope you understand what I want to say)

2. "The removal of Banquo's dead body *of/off/from* stage is not Banquo's last exit."
--> After Banquo has been killed, they somehow have to get rid of his body. Do you say"remove" "of", "off" or "from" the stage?

It would be awesome if somebody could help me with these sentences!

Thank you very much in advance.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 606 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Shapeless

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 05:31 pm
Re: Are these two Sentences Correct?
magicaltreva wrote:
--> Can you send someone "to his death"?

"To his death" is a common expression in English, so yes, the sentence makes perfect sense.

magicaltreva wrote:
2. "The removal of Banquo's dead body *of/off/from* stage is not Banquo's last exit."
--> After Banquo has been killed, they somehow have to get rid of his body. Do you say"remove" "of", "off" or "from" the stage?

"From" is the best choice. "To remove off" is not commonly used in English. "Of" is definitely wrong. Incidentally, you should also insert the definite article before "stage": "The removal of Banquo's dead body from the stage..."
0 Replies

magicaltreva

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 09:52 pm
Dear 'Shapeless'

Thanks a million! Your answer is really helpful! Idea
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2007 12:03 am
Re: Are these two Sentences Correct?
Shapeless wrote:
magicaltreva wrote:
--> Can you send someone "to his death"?

"To his death" is a common expression in English, so yes, the sentence makes perfect sense.

No it doesn't, because both pronouns refer back to the same noun.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2007 12:07 am
Good point. It made sense with Magicaltreva's context, and in any event if the pronouns were referring to the same thing then the second one should be in the reflexive form ("himself"), but it would still be better to change one of the pronouns to the proper name to make it clear who "he" is and who "him" is.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2007 01:05 am
Shapeless wrote:
Good point. It made sense with Magicaltreva's context, and in any event if the pronouns were referring to the same thing then the second one should be in the reflexive form ("himself"), but it would still be better to change one of the pronouns to the proper name to make it clear who "he" is and who "him" is.

I don't agree. The context makes the meaning perfectly clear. The simpler form is best.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2007 01:13 am
I don't know that replacing one of the pronouns with a name makes the sentence less "simple"; it would just happen to have a name instead of a pronoun. Still, as I mentioned, I was able to follow the original sentence without any problems as well.
0 Replies