Still gaga for the Brit, not sure how to act with him.....?

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 07:38 am
Hey all. This is long, but please read. It'll only take a few minutes. I appreciate it. Some of my postings are under the screename "MissIntrigued", but all are in the following threads.

For anyone that cares, the story thus far is portrated in previous postings (eg- "how soon can you tell him how you feel" and "can anything come from a long distance meeting")

But basically, I met a guy in England online, we had wonderful email exchanges daily for a month or two before I decided on a whim to go visit him, and we got along fantastically in person in every way, personality wise, physically, etc. We flew back and forth to visit each other several times over 9 months, and we emailed and/or texted and/or called nearly everyday. He would say wonderful things abou tme, how he thought I was brilliant, funny, sexy, amazing, yadda yadda, call me at 3 in the morning drunk to tell me he's thinking about me. Told all his friends and his brother and mother about me. I met all of them except his mom when I went to England (she lives outside London).

Then on my last trip to London, something changed. When I landed it was the same still, he looked really happy to see me and it was great. Then over the next couple of days he acted slightly different. i couldn't put my finger on it but something was off. There were a couple things I was wondering if I shouldnt have said, but I tried to put that idea off.

Then I come home to NY and I stop getting emails and calls every day. The emails I do get no longer have an "xoxo" at the end of them. So obviously, something is up. After a month, I drag it out of him on the phone. Apparently, things I said on my last trip made him believe I wanted something serious right now, and he realized he did not want something serious so he felt it was best to "put the brakes on", but that I was "quality, amazing, sexy, intelligent, funny" and he "really enjoys spending time with me" and that I am "an incredible girl in so many ways" and that he "could well come to regret the decision [he's] made". He also said he wanted to keep in contact and that if I was in London at some point he would be upset if I didn't let him know I was there. Oh, and he mentioned he had gone out a few times with another girl. Nothing serious, and he didnt go out with her until after my last trip, but he thought he would let me know. He also expressed that he has never had a relationship that has lasted even a year, and that apparently he is not in the mindset to do so now, for whatever reason.

I guess Im confused. Do you think this is because of him just not seeing any long term potential with me as a person, or did the fact that he was really liking someone who lived really far away freak him out? Or is he being honest that he honestly is just not relationship minded right now? He is 28 years old, and just about the happiest person I've ever met with respect to how their life is going right now. He has an amazing job that he loves that lets him travel everywhere, have fun, and party. He just bought his first flat in London. he loves his friends. basically there is nothing about his life that upsets him right now. So I guess he is enjoying being single, I dont know.

I never asked him for a relationship, per say, but I guess I was stupid and should have known better than to say some things to a guy. When I was there last time I told him I was thinking about moving to London (which, mind you, I told him the first time I spoke to him so he knew this was something I had contemplated before I met him). But I asked him what he thought of me moving to London, and I suppose in my stupid girly way was hoping to get a positive response affirming he would like me closer to him, but he didn't really answer me at all. He avoided the question and when I pressed on he just said "well, dont do it because of me". The next morning I was being a bit huffy because i was pissed he hadn't given me a response I wanted I suppose, and he took that to be a sign of me wanting a serious relationship. I also stupidly told him I hadn't been with any other guy but him since I met him, in passing, and god knows why I told him that. I guess I thought he'd like to hear that I wasn't sleeping around with other people. Stupid me huh?

So as it is now, we occasionally communicate via emails/facebook. I try to hold back from writing him back right away or writing emails that are very long in an attempt to seem disiniterested and like I don't care about him. I actually AM going to London in less than two months for 10 days, but I have not told him I am coming. I am staying with another friend of mine that lives there, that he has met. I sent him a package "by accident" that was meant for her, and he is supposed to meet her to give it to her. I told her to mention in passing that I was coming to town as if she thought he would have known, to see how he responds.

Should I do that? Or should I tell him I am coming to town myself? or both?

I am trying not to think about him, i really am. I try to go out with other guys, to occupy myself with school and work and going out with friends but I think about him all the time and even though I can distract myself and have fun with other guys that I've been going out, none of them make me feel remotely like he does. It's frustrating; I am intelligent, funny, attractive and have no problems attracting people, and yet I sit here pining for a man across an ocean that all but told me he sees no long term potential with me, despite thinking I am incredible in every way. I guess those things he said , like saying he could well come to regret breaking it off with me, give me some false hope that well, maybe he will see that we were good and regret his decision. I guess Im being silly, but Im hoping that , given time, he'll get over his phase of wanting to be single and carefree and realize that we had a good thing going.

I am still planning on moving to London for a year or two before I start medical school, so who knows I guess.....

Anyway, any input or advice would be appreciated. I know its tough to dole out opinions when you dont know the people or really the situation past what I've told you, but sometimes objective outside opinions can help. Thanks again

WhatToDo/MissIntrigued
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 735 • Replies: 11
No top replies

eoe

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 08:04 am
In a nutshell, we always want the one we can't have.
He's 28. How old are you?
0 Replies

WhatToDo

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 08:39 am
"eoe
Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:04 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In a nutshell, we always want the one we can't have.
He's 28. How old are you? "

I don't thin it's a matter of wanting what I can't have. I wanted him when he was calling me daily and telling me how much he liked me, as much as I liked him after he told me all this break-up stuff. I've had other guys break it off with me and I didn't want them like this guy. I just really really like him alot! I'm not stupid enough to say "love" but I could see it going that way if we kept dating.

He is 28 and I am 24. His birthday is the same week as mine, so we are pretty much exactly 4 years apart, its not too bad of a difference I think. We're both in the midst of the career making stage and all that jazz. Older than college but not quite in the 30's yet....

WTD/MissIntrigued
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 09:38 am
Talk to him. And listen to what he says, not what you want to hear. Don't try reading between the lines or psychoanalyzing it.

I think he's already made it kind of clear tho' that he's not interested in a steady relationship.
0 Replies

WhatToDo

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 10:27 am
"Author Message
eoe
Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:38 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Talk to him. And listen to what he says, not what you want to hear. Don't try reading between the lines or psychoanalyzing it.

I think he's already made it kind of clear tho' that he's not interested in a steady relationship. "

Hi again

Well, Im not trying to assume he wants a steady relationship right now....and Im trying not to read between any lines, which is probably why I feel confused. Because his lines have been things like "You are an incredible girl in so many ways and I could well come to regret this decision" and "I understand if you're pissed and don't want to talk to me right now, but I really want to keep in contact and if you come to London I'll be upset if you don't le tme know you are here" and telling me that he's happy being "friends with benefits" when we see each other (of course he is, he's a guy). So all these things make me feel like he still likes me, which confuses me, I guess.

You're saying to "talk to him". But what am I supposed to say? I was supposed to originally stay with him when I went to London next, but I told him I was canceling my trip because I thought it would be awkward to stay with him and possibly have to meet or see some new girl he's gone out with a few times, despite it not being serious with her. He said he understood but still wanted me to come, but would understand if and why I didn't. I AM going there in a month and a half, as I said, but staying with another friend and haven't yet told him Im coming, which he wanted me to do. I guess one question in this is IF I should even tell him I am coming?

It could go either of three ways as I see it:

1) he's still totally single, we meet up, end up hooking up again, and it's all swell again when he realizes that yeah, he still likes me. Which he's said he does anyway, but when you never see someone it's easy to forget, get frustrated and try for someone closer to you....

2) (the scarier option) he's started to semi-seriously date some new girl and agrees to hang out with me but tells me we have to be "just friends"

3) (the confuse-me-further option) he's still totally single, we end up hooking up again, but then he get's weird on me when I am back in NY like last time.

So I have a 33% chance of good happening from seeing him, and a 66% chance of either crappy or semi-crappy options. Im not sure if I should risk it by seeing him when I go there or not.....should I bother with having my friend mention I am coming when she meets him this week to get that package from him?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 10:29 am
Re: Still gaga for the Brit, not sure how to act with him...
WhatToDo wrote:
Or is he being honest that he honestly is just not relationship minded right now?

He is 28 years old, and just about the happiest person I've ever met with respect to how their life is going right now. He has an amazing job that he loves that lets him travel everywhere, have fun, and party. He just bought his first flat in London. he loves his friends. basically there is nothing about his life that upsets him right now.

So I guess he is enjoying being single

Sounds like he likes where his life is right now, and you were a good, fun friend.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 10:32 am
WhatToDo wrote:
I AM going there in a month and a half, as I said, but staying with another friend and haven't yet told him Im coming, which he wanted me to do. I guess one question in this is IF I should even tell him I am coming?

why wouldn't you tell him?

are you not interested in being 'just' friends, or friends with benefits?
0 Replies

WhatToDo

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 10:58 am
"WhatToDo wrote:
I AM going there in a month and a half, as I said, but staying with another friend and haven't yet told him Im coming, which he wanted me to do. I guess one question in this is IF I should even tell him I am coming?

ehBeth wrote:

why wouldn't you tell him?

are you not interested in being 'just' friends, or friends with benefits?"

Well, I think what we had before WAS good friends with benefits, and I was pretty happy with it the way it was for now for the fact that I know he's not ready for a serious commitment and Im not running to get married so I was ok with taking it as it was going for now. He freaked out because he thought I DID want something serious. I guess what I'm worried is that I tell him Im coming and I go there looking forward to having that same "friends with benefits" scenario, but maybe just maybe there's that small chance that he's started dating someone else by then and I see her. That would just kill me. I guess that's what Im scared to see....everytime he puits up new photos on that facebook website thing I scan all of them looking for any photos in which he's got his arm around some girl or seems like he's "with" someone, and he never is, he's always just with friends that I know.....I desperately want to see him don't get me wrong, and I'm fairly certain if I'm actually right in front of him he'll "want" me....I guess im afraid of the after-effects of sleeping with him again and then possibly hearing about a new girl. And despite suggestions of "ok, so don't sleep with him", I can tell you right now that my normally wonderful willpower will fly out the window if we are left alone. He told me he had gone out with someone a few times but that it was nothing serious, but who knows by now? According to his roomate his habit of dating is usually, see someone for 6-9 months, and then break up with them. He's never quite reached the one year mark on anyone. me and him were at....9 months I think . I don't think he would tell me about a new chick getting "serious" right now because he knows it would bother me. He still speaks to me and everything....I just haven't told him Im coming yet. Everyone keeps telling me to give him like two weeks notice, which is long enough for him to make time to meet up with me if he wants, but not far enough ahead to make me seem too eager to see him again. Sort of like "well, you wanted to know when I was in town, so here I am , telling you Im going to be in town in two weeks. if you wanna meet up, you know my number"
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 04:48 pm
Sounds like you are spending a LOT of time thinking about this guy... and you are trying too hard to be whatever it is that HE wants.

This might not be the guy for you. He may not be thinking about you as much as you are thinking about him. He might be perfectly happy with the way things are, friends with bennys, whenever you are around... He might be a nice guy ans doesn't want to hurt your feelings, or cut off his benefits.

Whatever.

You need to decide what it is that YOU want.
Do you want some long distance vague maybe relationship?
Do you want to be torturing yourself by continuing to think about this guy, when he might not be thinking of you?

Decide what you want.
Then either:
Accept what you have with him,
Or talk it out with him and get answers,
Or walk away.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 04:58 pm
WhatToDo wrote:
I guess what I'm worried is that I tell him Im coming and I go there looking forward to having that same "friends with benefits" scenario, but maybe just maybe there's that small chance that he's started dating someone else by then and I see her. That would just kill me.

so you're not ok with simply being 'friends with benefits'

that's all right. you just need to be clear where you are with this. don't worry so much about what he's thinking - be clear about what you want/can deal with

~~~

edit : Caribou posted while I was typing/feeding dogs. Caribou's got it.

Quote:
Decide what you want.
Then either:
Accept what you have with him,
Or talk it out with him and get answers,
Or walk away.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 05:14 pm
Nodding with Caribou and ehBeth...

Also, don't move to England for him. Move there if you want to, for you.
0 Replies

WhatToDo

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 10:01 pm
hey all

No, I wouldn't move to England JUST for him. I think it would be great to live overseas for a while and get to experience that so I would do it regardless.....but I'd be lying if I said that it didn't sit in the back of mind that maybe if I was closer to him it would be better with us. It's hard to just "casually" date or really even be friends with benefits when you are so far apart. Believe me, i am the last person to jump into boyfriend-girlfriend things, Im one of those people who is ok just casually dating someone for quite a while before thinking about the monogamy realm.

But I do think about him alot. I cant help it. He's very hard to read sometimes.....everyone says that about him. I almost wish he just wouldn't talk to me anymore , it would be tough on me, but it would be easier in the long run. At the moment he still emails me and chats occasionally and tries to be nice and tell me all those things I mentioned earlier about wanting to see me when Im in London and etc. These things make me have false hope that I can't shake. *sigh*
0 Replies