Translating Shakespeare from French into English - plz help!

Reply Sun 24 Jun, 2007 03:37 pm
Hello - friends of language confusions Smile

well, I'm a bit confused, but you probably aren't and perhaps you can even help me out of this, so that I can see things clearly Smile

I'm writing my thesis about Shakespeare in English and I want to use a French source in the thesis. I would like to translate two sentences of this text from French into English - the only problem is that I'm German and therefore this is quite tricky. Embarrassed

These sentences discuss the first scene of Macbeth, in which the witches plot to meet Macbeth. My translation goes as follows:

1. Nulle critique sagace ne consent à reconnaître, dans l'évasif morceau, la scène première ; quelque chose d'autre, non une scène : la tragédie commence de plain-pied, classiquement, avec l'exposition, ou scène du soldat blessé […].

--> No sagacious critic does not agree to accept this evasive part, the first scene; something else, not a scene: The tragedy begins at-grade, classically with the exposition or the scene with the wounded soldier.

2. Vous assistez, sachez, par mégarde à un complot - pas de sorcières relevant de la figuration ou des accessoires, mais dissipées si entrevues, authentiques donc, qui sait ?

--> You are thus accidentally present at a conspiration - not a conspiration of sorcerers belonging to the supernumeraries or props, but they disappear just as quickly, so who knows?

The English sentences sound really queer - but I really don't know how to change them in order to make them sound better. I would be really grateful if anybody could help me with this, even if you could just tell me which parts of the English sentences are wrong, so that I can try and improve these part myself.

Thank you very much in advance for your help!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,612 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 24 Jun, 2007 04:27 pm
Re: Translating Shakespeare from French into English - plz h
Yes, the English sounds bad, because it is bad. (In the American language, at least, "queer" is rarely used in any other context than to refer to a male homosexual--occasionally female homosexuals, too--and is considered to be in poor taste, unless one is homosexual oneself. I advise that you do not use the word.) I'll see what i can do for you.

magicaltreva wrote:
Nulle critique sagace ne consent à reconnaître, dans l'évasif morceau, la scène première ; quelque chose d'autre, non une scène : la tragédie commence de plain-pied, classiquement, avec l'exposition, ou scène du soldat blessé […]

No knowledgeable critic fails to recognize, in this evasive passage, the first scene, something else, (which is) not a scene. The tragedy begins confidently, classically, with the background of the story, or the scene of the wounded soldier . . .

Quote:
Vous assistez, sachez, par mégarde à un complot - pas de sorcières relevant de la figuration ou des accessoires, mais dissipées si entrevues, authentiques donc, qui sait ?

You accidentally witness, understand, a conspiracy--not of sorcerers making an effigy or their props, but disappearing as soon as detected, so really then, who knows?

If Francis or one of the other francophones shows up, you might get a better translation.
0 Replies

magicaltreva

Reply Sun 24 Jun, 2007 04:43 pm
Dear Setanta,

thank you so much for your help. Your translation sounds really awesome!

And I'm also very grateful you told me about the meaning of "queer". I shall keep this in mind - not only for the thesis, but also for 'real life'. I think I used this word quite often and nobody ever told me about this Embarrassed

I believe you can get in embarrassing situations if you don't know that - Until today I thought the sentence like "You look a bit queer, today!" is just a way of saying that someone looks different than he or she normally does :-)

Again, thank you very much - you relly helped me with my thesis and my English in general!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 07:37 am
You're welcome.

The word queer may be acceptable in British English--so don't despair. But in the American language, it has taken on a political meaning, and it is just easier to avoid it.

Good luck with your work.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 07:44 am
When speaking to an American, if you think something is queer, you might just say: "That's odd."
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 08:28 am
"Queer" also has a particular usage in philosophical texts. But, in general, Setanta is right: avoid it in everyday usage because of its slang connotations.
0 Replies