"along with" VS"as well as "?

lust

Reply Sun 24 Jun, 2007 07:01 am
"With the 1977 publication of Song of Solomon, Toni Morrison both received popular and critical acclaim."In order to select the option that produces the best sentence fit for the underlined material,I chose the right answer D by feeling.But I have no idea of what is wrong with choice C.

C. received popular, along with
D. received popular as well as
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,586 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sun 24 Jun, 2007 07:20 am
"along with" VS"as well as "?
Either one is ok, but personally I too would go with D.

BTW - the placement of "both" in your quote
Quote:
"With the 1977 publication of Song of Solomon, Toni Morrison both received popular and critical acclaim."
Quote:
is wrong. It should read "both popular and critical acclaim".

The word "both" modifies the word "acclaim". The way you (or someone else) wrote it, the reader is led to assume that the modified word is "received", as in "both received and gave" - which, obviously wouldn't make sense in the context.

Altertatively, "both" could refer to Toni Morrison and another person, as in ""Toni Morrison and X both received popular and critical acclaim" - again an order that doesn't make sense in the context, of course.

The point is that "both" must be next to the modified word or phrase.

Have I nicely confused you?
0 Replies

lust

Reply Sun 24 Jun, 2007 08:21 am
Well,actually this quote is from the "Official SAT question of the day".But I do agree with you concerning the placement of "both".
0 Replies

BlueAwesomeness

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2007 10:13 am
Re: "along with" VS"as well as "?
lust wrote:
"With the 1977 publication of Song of Solomon, Toni Morrison both received popular and critical acclaim."In order to select the option that produces the best sentence fit for the underlined material,I chose the right answer D by feeling.But I have no idea of what is wrong with choice C.

C. received popular, along with
D. received popular as well as

I think you chose well. I couldn't tell you what's wrong with C either, D just sounds better. If you don't know for sure, usually your gut instinct as to what sounds right is right. At least, that's what I've found.

By the way, don't they give an explanation along with the right answer?
0 Replies