ethnic minorities vs minority nationalities

fansy

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2007 11:21 pm
"Ethnic minorities vs minority nationalities" may be a set of phrases causing some confusion in usage. I would like you to point out the the differences in both denotational and connotational meanings.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 442 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Miller

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2007 11:48 pm
Re: ethnic minorities vs minority nationalities
fansy wrote:
I would like you to point out the the differences in both denotational and connotational meanings.

What's the prize for the correct answer?
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sun 24 Jun, 2007 01:24 am
The difference lies in the assumption of shared cultural and "racial" characteristics associated closely with the word "ethnic" but not necessarily with "nationality" which should simply imply country of origin. However, since there are stereotypical perceptions involved with both terms, they can end up being functionally equivalent in terms of the positive and negative prejudices within inter-group relationships.
0 Replies

fansy

Reply Sun 24 Jun, 2007 04:18 am
Let me tell you more about why I asked the question
Traditionally, the 56 ethnic groups in China have been referred to as 56 nationalities, and except the Han nationality, all the other 55 ethnic minority groups have been referred to collectively as 55 minority nationalities.
What's your comment?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 24 Jun, 2007 05:53 am
Re: Let me tell you more about why I asked the question
fansy wrote:
Traditionally, the 56 ethnic groups in China have been referred to as 56 nationalities, and except the Han nationality, all the other 55 ethnic minority groups have been referred to collectively as 55 minority nationalities.
What's your comment?

That you should read Fresco's post again, in which he points out that blurring of these terms renders them functionally equivalent.
0 Replies