What war is your house?

sozobe

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 06:23 am
Just saw this thread, it's a cool one.

I have a weakness for 1920's houses. My two favorites are from that era -- my Pasadena bungalow and my current house.

I lived in a house built in 1900 for a while, it was a weird one. Probably a farmhouse originally, very basic and boxy. It had undergone waves of remodeling though and I was never able to piece together what was original and what was added when.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 06:48 am
Recently I (re-) dound some documents from when our house was buitl (1904), where it really is mentioned that it was built during a war: the Herero War (another German genocide).

(G-uncle, as a reserve officer [navy surgeon] made some 'imperial-patriotic' remarks about that.)

Which reminds me: during WWII [in 19444/5], our house was the private residence of a Rumanian divisonal commander [though he had no soldiers at all] and from March 28 till April 1, 1945, the HQ of the 750th [US] Tank Batallion.
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 10:12 am
Walter wrote, "Our house was the private residence of a Rumanian divisional commander [though he had no soldiers at all]"
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 10:30 am
Paaskynen wrote:
I am with Walter that for many European cities the credo isn't during what war a house was built, but rather what war(s) it survived.

My house survived 1848 revolution, the Franco-Prussian war 1870-71, WWI and WW2.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 10:41 am
Tryagain wrote:
Walter wrote, "Our house was the private residence of a Rumanian divisional commander [though he had no soldiers at all]"

That reminds me that; in Argentina they had hundreds of Admirals but few ships. Most had never been to sea.

Well, those poor (and perhaps stupid) Rumanians who were on the German side mostly died in this terrific war.
As did this Rumanian oficer, when he became commander of some German troops and was bombed in Paderborn.
0 Replies