Cheney: VP's office not part of Executive branch.

DrewDad

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 09:25 am
Cheney tells agency that Vice President's office is not part of the executive branch

Quote:
The Office of Vice President Dick Cheney told an agency within the National Archives that for purposes of securing classified information, the Vice President's office is not an 'entity within the executive branch' according to a letter released Thursday by the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform.

"The Oversight Committee has learned that over the objections of the National Archives, you exempted the Office of the Vice President from the presidential executive order that establishes a uniform, government-wide system for safeguarding classified national security information," Rep. Henry Waxman (D-CA), the Committee's chairman, wrote in a letter to Cheney. "Your decision to exempt your office from the President's order is problematic because it could place national security secrets at risk. It is also hard to understand given the history of security breaches involving officials in your office."

Cheney must've gone to public schools....
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,963 • Replies: 109
No top replies

squinney

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 01:02 pm
Waxman is on the case. Look Here for more info and documentation.

I don't think he went to public school. I think he's just pushing as far as he can to have full run of things with no oversight, no checks, etc. He's gotten by with it so far, so just like any other snotty nosed brat he's gonna keep going.

Who's gonna stop him?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 01:12 pm
I won't believe that there's any conservative out there willing to stand on his or her hind legs and defend Cheney for his new war on democracy.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 01:18 pm
Walter - Of course they will. I thought you had been paying attention. Very Happy

The media won't cover this. The public at large won't know and if they do, won't care. It'll be twisted around to sound like a good idea, like Waxman is off his rocker, and most of America will swallow.

And, if you read the document Waxman did about how Cheney has asserted privelege from oversight since 2001, you'll see what I mean.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 01:26 pm
To be fair, CNN has an article which talks about the issue -

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/06/22/cheney.documents/index.html

Also, Rahm Emmanuel:

TPMcafe

Quote:
"Today, we discovered that everything we learned in U.S. government class was wrong. Evidently, the Vice President does not consider himself a part of the executive branch, and therefore believes he can obstruct meaningful oversight and avoid being held accountable. If the Vice President truly believes he is not a part of the executive branch, he should return the salary the American taxpayers have been paying him since January 2001, and move out of the home for which they are footing the bill."

Cheers

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 01:32 pm
The San Francisco Chronicle has it on page 5, The Philadelphia Inquirer on the frontpage as has it the Washington Post, the LA Times, the NY Sun ... ... ... name them :wink:
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 01:50 pm
THIS says it better than I can.

That's what I mean. It'll get twisted around to look like maybe he has a point and.....

Nothing will be done about it.

Sorry. I've lost all hope that America will recover from this criminally insane bunch of assholdes.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 03:57 pm
IF Cheney said that,then he is an idiot and needs to go back to school and get some education in civics and govt.

There is no defense for his comment.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 04:09 pm
ah yes, if you can't defend him.... then put forth the idea that he didn't really say it. No surprises here.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 04:14 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
ah yes, if you can't defend him.... then put forth the idea that he didn't really say it. No surprises here.

I did no such thing.

I said IF because I didnt hear him say it,nor have I read any news reports,other then what is posted here,that says he did say it.

I am not disputing that it was said,but I have no personal knowledge of it.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 04:27 pm
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19360916/
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 05:57 pm
walter wrote :

Quote:
The San Francisco Chronicle has it on page 5, The Philadelphia Inquirer on the frontpage as has it the Washington Post, the LA Times, the NY Sun ... ... ... name them

but it wasn't on the SPORTS PAGE , was it ?
you think we should be reading the FRONTPAGE Shocked Question
hbg
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 05:59 pm
mysteryman wrote:
I said IF because I didnt hear him say it,nor have I read any news reports,other then what is posted here,that says he did say it.

...nor will I seek out the information, because then I would no longer be able to bury my head in the sand....
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 06:08 pm
DrewDad wrote:
mysteryman wrote:

...nor will I seek out the information, because then I would no longer be able to bury my head in the sand....

I know huh? Smile

I mean, all it'd take is to type Cheney into the Google News search box...

Foxfyre used to do that too, We'd post a news story that reported a conservative doing or saying something, and she'd say, "well, I dont know if that is true. If it is true..", and we're all, uh, we posted the link. Here, here's another five links saying the same thing. And she'd just pointedly refuse to click the links!

Good times..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 06:20 pm
It's on the first page of the Chronicle online now, don't know what it was this morning on the printed paper. (There is a time diff, and the Chronicle just had a big layoff, sadly.) I doubt they're less concerned.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 06:38 pm
ya know MM IS from Kentucky.... do they have newspapers?
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 08:14 pm
nimh wrote:
DrewDad wrote:
mysteryman wrote:

I know huh? Smile

Foxfyre used to do that too, We'd post a news story that reported a conservative doing or saying something, and she'd say, "well, I dont know if that is true. If it is true..", and we're all, uh, we posted the link. Here, here's another five links saying the same thing. And she'd just pointedly refuse to click the links!

Good times..

I havent refused to do anything,but I have a life away from this computer.
I realize some of you dont,but I have other things to do.

I did some research on my own,and Cheney did say what you are claiming.

Also,to be honest,I wouldnt trust some of you if you said the sky was blue without verifying it myself.

However,after looking myself,AND examining the context the quote was in,I will agree that you are correct.
Therefore,my original statement stands...
Cheney is an idiot for making that comment and he needs to go back to school and take a few govt classes.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 09:26 pm
nimh wrote:
DrewDad wrote:
mysteryman wrote:

I know huh? Smile

Good times..

Yeah, those were the days. Whatever happened to her, by the way? Haven't seen her around lately.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 10:37 pm
Hey, MM recognized it was an idiotic thing to say. He wasn't defending what was said or denying it was said, just that he hadn't seen it yet for himself.

He also didn't try to say Cheney was right or that he had a good point or any other nonsense, so give him his props, guys.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 11:11 pm
Bush speaks and.... SURPRISE! He agree's with Cheney.
0 Replies