understanding of a long sentence

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2007 04:21 pm
Randomized trials from the National Surgical Adjuvant Breast and Bowel Project (NSABP), which studied the effect of improving local control by increasing the extent of surgery or adding radiation therapy after total mastectomy or breast-conserving surgery demonstrated similar survival for the different treatment groups despite substantial improvement in local control with additional surgery and radiation therapy.

Do you think "after total mastectomy" also astricts "increasing the extent of surgery" apart from "adding radiation therapy"?

Paraphrase would be very welcome!

Thank you!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 638 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2007 04:46 pm
Total mastectomy means the complete removal of the breast, in a woman with breast cancer. I find this sentence rather badly written. However, it is speaking of a comparison of treatment methods for patients who undergo complete mastectomy (the removal of the entire breast) and those who have breast-conserving surgery (attempting to cut out just the cancerous tissue, while leaving the breast otherwise intact, i assume for cosmetic reasons).

The sentence says that randomize trials (selecting data at random, and not by a pattern or criterion) demonstrated that there were similar survival rates (i.e., women who did not die from cancer) even though there was an expectation that there would be a higher survival rate with additional surgery and radiation therapy.

It is a needlessly complex sentence, and badly written. It might have made more sense to have written it as two sentences. This is the sort of nonsense which makes the eyes of native English-speakers glaze over if they have to read to much of it. Many people who write technical descriptions seem to think that it will look more impressive or convincing if they write long, complex sentences.

Short, simple sentences are best for conveying ideas.
0 Replies

bluestblue

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2007 04:59 pm
Thank you Setanta! You explanations are very helpful!
(I hate unnecessarily long sentences too. Unfortunately, I have to read them often. Confused )
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2007 05:00 pm
Your English is very good, Blue. I wish you the best of luck in your studies.
0 Replies

bluestblue

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2007 05:13 pm
Thanks for your encouragement! Embarrassed
I'll try my best! Very Happy
0 Replies