I Think We Need A Couple More Plastic Bags Over Here

Sugar

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2002 11:32 am
http://www.boston.com/dailynews/318/region/Parents_of_student_who_died_ta:.shtml
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,772 • Replies: 8
No top replies

hebba

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2002 11:33 am
Sounds like MIT is a swinging place.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2002 11:37 am
Sounds like more parents tryin' to place the blame elsewhere for their own failures to have produced what they wanted in the way of a child . . . and their failure to realize that after a certain point, no one has control of the child who has now become an adult . . .
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2002 11:39 am
I am sorry for the parents of the dead boy, but this story disgusts me. What exactly are they looking for? If they wanted MIT to be more watchful towards their students, this suit would have been filed long ago. Looks like some lawyer wants to make a name for himself, and get the parents some money in the process. I think that I want to puke!

When are Americans going to knock off this whole "victim" mentality, and take on some responsibility????
[/size]
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2002 11:45 am
Though there is no empirical evidence to support this, college students are legally adults and responsible for their own decisions and safety. I guess it's just a shame that there's no one to sue when a high school dropout drops out of the bigger picture, as well.
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2002 01:44 pm

I can hardly believe this could even be "considered" as a plausible
grounds for a lawsuit. The kid offed himself doing his drug of choice, plain and simple. They do it by the thousands every year. Why should HIS parents get rich from his unfortunate death? And why would anyone think that MIT could in any way be misconstrued as responsible. Every college across our great country has kids doing all the booze and drugs they can get their hands on. It IS unfortunate. But it is NOT the fault of the university. Some kids leave a very restrictive home environment and then they go nuts in college, free at last! My kids on the other hand, did a lot of crap at a younger age, so by the time they got to college, they had already been there and done that. One of the most basic issues of our world today this one. Parents refusal to take responsibility for their own offspring & use the public schools as babysitter and expect their kids to be taught common sense and ethics and how to deal with reality -Good God, they expect schools to teach them simple common courtesy & good manners. Everything that the parent should have already taught their own kids growing up - is left undone. Big universities have thousands of what should be young adults, but are really just big kids. What should they be supposed to do? Babysit and hold the hand of every person attending their university. A girl in my class at Pitt killed herself, not in this manner
-but she is still dead at her own choosing. I shall be totally disgusted if the parents of this young man get one thin dime.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2002 05:58 pm
Unbelievable

humph

So, now will we have every drug user/abuser and their families suing those people they think should have been taking care of the problem?

Lets just write in stone..you are responsible for your own actions..although I dont think it will help

I understand that there is an issue regarding the suit and that the student had sought help for his problem and that in some regard a checkpoint system should have been made if it wasnt but, I think we dont have all the facts on that, and you cant hold someones hand even if they are asking for help....also, the fact that he did...makes him more aware in my opinion of his actions and the circumstances and possibilities and ultimate responisbility of those actions.
The fact that the parents are going against the University which was allowing this young man the education he should have been getting high from is just silly I tell ya...if they're gonna be allowed to do something like that then i say next in line..they put themselves up for not doing their own job well enough.
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 05:17 pm
MIT case
I'm with you Quinn - I am certain we do not know ALL the facts. If the kid did seek help from the University's health services - he would NOT have died using his drug of choice if he had followed their direction I am
sure
0 Replies

maxsdadeo

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2002 02:15 am
This is a natural progression in a litigious society that has no shame, morals or responsibility. (I HEAR you Phoenix!)
0 Replies