Toe Nail Came off!?!?!

kirky29

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2007 11:17 pm
Hello.

Right a few hours ago... I was sitting in my torn ratty chair, and as I moved my leg I gotmy toe nail stuck, and I kinda fell over, and then it ripped about 50% give of take... But! It's still stuck there!!! Like you can lift it up but cant pull it off!!

I'm only 16 Sad! I didnt know what to do (Although I didnt panic) So. I wrapped it in tissue, stopped the bleading.. And I don't know what to do now! I've read many Forums, like it's scaring me, some people say 12 months to grow back, then some say you need injections etc... BUT! I cant see the doc today, as it's GCSE time and I HAVE to be there for the full day......

So please, some advice would be amazing...
Should I pull (attempt) to pull the nail off?!
That would make alot of pain for me... Thing is, i'm all alone for the week aswell. So PLEASE help. Please.

Many thanks, Kirk.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,005 • Replies: 15
No top replies

aidan

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2007 11:26 pm
Kirk- Unless you have a superhuman pain threshold, I don't think you'll be able to pull it off by yourself- and you don't want to damage the nail bed as then it might not grow back right.

Is it your big toe nail? That's the only one that I think is big enough for you to go to the hospital for, although I just lost both my big toe nails last summer- but I was too much of a wimp to have them removed- so I just kept them bandaged- didn't wear shoes for about two months and waited for them to fall off.

If you don't want to do it that way, after your exams today, take your national insurance card to the hospital. If you don't know where it is, or your parents have it or something, you can just go, tell the registrar your name, and she'll look your number up for you.

Then they'll numb your toe and then pull the rest of the nail out with a pair of forceps.

It'll take about six months to grow back to where it looks halfway normal (if it's your big toe). But then it looks great- brand new and better than before.

Good luck (with your toe and exams)!
0 Replies

username

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2007 11:31 pm
Don't pull it off. Wrap it up, if you have an antibiotic cream put some on the toe, wear loose shoes so you don't put pressure on it, trim off the loose part. Here's a doctor's response to the question: http://www.ourfootdoctor.com/ask_archive_toenails.shtml

Google something like "how to treat a toenail that is partially pulled off"
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2007 11:32 pm
G'day kirky

You have nothing to worry about. The nail will grow back in no time. It (the nail) actually grows from behind the nal down toward the toe joint. You will need to keep the open wound clean and feet can be pretty germy so I suggest a piece of gauze over the toe If the old nali is still hanging on leave it atteched. put it back into position ad put the gauze over the nail. wrap it all place with a piece of sticking plaster or a bandaid.

Keeping the toe and nail bed clean is the main thing so a bit of disinfectant twice a day would be good.

After a few days the exposed nail bed will harden up and shouldn't bother you any more. The old nail will become a bit annoying, so when it does trim it back as best you can.

Could take maybe 3 months to grow back completley it depends on how fast your hair and nails grow.
0 Replies

kirky29

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2007 12:22 am
Hello!

Thanks alot! - Yeah, I live in the country and the hospitals far far away so I cant get there by my self. But I might ask someone later. Or, I can just wait for them to fall of on there own?
I've currently got it (My Big toe yes!) Wrapped up, which is good. And there isnt much / any pain now...

But thanks and thanks again! I'm just about to 'hobble' to my School Bus now, so cya and thanks!!

Kirk.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2007 12:33 am
Kirk- Listen- if I were you, and there aren't any adults around to help you make judgements about it- I'd have it looked at.
I didn't go because I have someone I know who told me exactly what to do-but even he was dying to pull the things off. I just couldn't go through with it.

People think- "Oh it's just a toenail", but when it's your big toe (where there are a lot of nerve endings) it's painful as all get out- and it affects the way you walk, etc. If someone accidentally steps on it or you bump it against a table leg or chair - YOUCH!
Don't put pressure on it by wearing tight shoes. I'm sure your headmaster won't be mad at you if you wear a sandal on that foot for a few days- show him your toenail- maybe he'll give you a lift to the surgery.

You don't want it to get infected. Seriously- they won't be mad at you for asking about it and trying to take care of yourself.

You sound like a trooper- but don't feel like you have to be too much of one.
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2007 10:56 am
Don't be so soft lad, pour some surgical spirits on it and give it a good tug! When it comes off put some more on and fold some lint or gauze over the raw toe, secure with some tape. Clean it with surgical spirits every 12 hours and and redress as above once the redness has gone it will heal up all by itself and the nail will grow back in a few weeks, between eight and twelve from personal experience.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2007 11:31 am
Laughing Laughing

Yeah- or what he said. But seriously- don't wear tight, enclosed shoes....
0 Replies

kirky29

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2007 11:51 am
Hello. I'm back...

I managed to put my shoe on with ease this morning, and my sock! And there hasn't been any pain all day, just a but of irritation when I try to cross my toes..
But I don't really want to go to the hospital, nor am I so keen on Mathos's idea of yanking it off.... So, if I am to just leave it, I was told it probably would / will go black, and a few weeks later, as the new one starts to grow, it will just push the old one away?

Also, because it's still on, and I don't want any infection etc, should I just put my foot in some warm water every few hours? And, keeping it wrapped up? Should I? If so what in...?

I'm sorry, but NOTHING has ever happened like this to me, the worst thing I've had is cutting my knee open when I was 6 in the rain and gravel.

Many thanks again.
Kirk.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2007 12:02 pm
Okay, I'll tell you exactly what I did. I just taped the nails down with bandages, so they wouldn't get snagged on stuff.
But mine was a different kind of injury. Mine didn't get ripped off- the nail bed was stressed because I walked thirty miles in one day, and a lot of it was uphill and then downhill, so for ten hours, my two big toenails were knocking against the front of my boots. So these big blisters came under my toenails and pushed the nails up and they died. They got looser and looser and then they finally came off.

But mine hurt like hell. No way could I put shoes on- I couldn't even really walk except on the sides of my feet for three days.. I had to wear flip flops for like two months. So it sounds really different.

I don't know what to tell you. I didn't soak mine at all. I didn't put any antiseptic on them. But I'm a grown woman and I bathe a lot and keep myself clean. A sixteen year old boy is probably a little bit of a different story.

It sounds like you're okay. I guess I would say if it starts looking red and angry and swollen (as if there's an infection starting)- go to the surgery because you may need antibiotics. But if it doesn't, you should be in the clear- but I will tell you- if the nailbed is injured- your nail may grow back kind of gnarly- but again- you're a sixteen year old boy and that's probably not a big deal to you....right?

Are you staying all by yourself with no adults around- during GCSE's? Who's making sure you get a good breakfast so you can do well on your exams every day? Laughing
0 Replies

kirky29

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2007 12:30 pm
Yeah, it does sound abit different! Only like 50% of mine tore, but like I said, it's still stuck in the side of the toe (Sorry I don't know the tech names for the toe!?)
But atleast I can walk and stuff! - Haha, yeah. I'm not the biggest fan of 'bathing'! When I did it last night, I thought I handled it very well! I didnt panic, scream, cry! Or anything.. Like I said, it was the worst pain I remember suffering aswell.

Like you said, if it does start to swell etc, I WILL get help with it. I'm not loosing my toe!

"our nail may grow back kind of gnarly- but again- you're a sixteen year old boy and that's probably not a big deal to you....right?" - Yeah! Well, I don't offten look at my feet to be honest, so... I'm guessing I don't mind, just aslong as I get something there...

Ohhh, well. My mum's dad isnt to well, and he lives down south somewhere, Sufolk I think. So she and my dad have gone down to see him, thus i'm all alone, and having to fend for meself. Very Happy - But! My mornings seem to be, get up, quick wash, brush teeth, use the loo, run to the bus, get to school! All in what, 5 / 10 minutes! It's a miricle i'm not layed crying on the floor in honesty! But I am a man. Razz

Many thanks all.

Kirk.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2007 12:37 pm
If you can't actually get to a hospital, can you at least call?
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2007 02:07 pm
Kirk- you sound delightful.. .. .and as if you have it under control. Sorry about your grandpa.

Just to set your mind at ease- you won't lose your toe- even if you get an infection- it'll just hurt a lot more for a lot longer and I'm a big believer in not suffering unless you absolutely have to. So if there's a way out (of suffering) I always take it- and antibiotics are a quick and essentially painless way to get rid of infections-but they have to be prescribed- so you'll have to see a doctor if you think that's happening.

Anyway-good luck on your exams.
0 Replies

BDoug

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 09:32 am
Aidan is right, as long as its not infected (and you'll know if its infected, swelling, pus, etc) it should be fine. Dont rip it off, it'll come off on its own when its ready and this will prevent scarring the nail bed. Put some neosporin on it and keep it bandaged. Change the bandage and dont make it too tight. You should have a new nail in 8-10 weeks or so depending...

Good luck on your exams buddy!
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 09:50 am
kirky29 wrote:
Hello. I'm back...

So, if I am to just leave it, I was told it probably would / will go black, and a few weeks later, as the new one starts to grow, it will just push the old one away?

Possibly it wont change colour. Yes the new nail will push the old one away but you will get heartily sick of the old one catching on things before then I think.

kirky29 wrote:
Also, because it's still on, and I don't want any infection etc, should I just put my foot in some warm water every few hours? And, keeping it wrapped up? Should I? If so what in...?

Warm salty water ( a 2 or 3 teasponnsof salt for each pint of water, at least twice a day or warm water with some kind of a disinfectant like dettol for a week or so. Any sign of infection - angry redness, swelling, a tight bloated feeling or pus and get yourself to a doctor or nurse. Does your school have a nurse?

Eat Breakfast before you go to school. Fruit or a museli bar can be eaten on the bus.
0 Replies

bearet

Reply Sun 24 Jun, 2007 07:24 pm
TOE NAIL
YOU SHOULD GO TO THE HOSPITAL, THEY STITCHED MY TOE NAIL BACK ON MAINLEY TO PREVENT INFECTION. GOT A WEEK OFF WORK CAUSE I COULDN'T WEAR STEEL TOE SHOES. GAVE MEDS TO CONTROL PAIN.
0 Replies