Right

J-B

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2007 09:03 am
Quote:
If the villain had stopped there, his case would have been sufficiently awful, but he blackened his guilt by proceeding to take me into custody, with aright of patronage that left all his previous criminality far behind.

How to understand "right" here?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 702 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Asherman

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2007 09:13 am
"The Rights of Man". "We hold these rights to be self-evident...." "Every accused has the right to legal representation".

This is a fine example of how a long, complex sentence can lose clarity.

Got it? Are you about ready for your summer adventure in University education?
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2007 09:51 am
Confusion is indeed due to its length. (Considering it's an excerpt from Great Expectations, in the context of Dickensian language, it itself won't trouble that much for me.)

The preparation is generally smooth (with occasional, sometimes shocking, difficulties). I will go to the consulate in Shanghai for visa the day after tomorrow. see you :wink:

J-B
0 Replies

BlueAwesomeness

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2007 10:26 am
Ooh, Great Expectations. I read that back in middle school. Didn't like it so much because it was sort of depressing, but at the same time, it was strangely fascinating. Not sure if this is helpful, but back when I was reading it, I tried not to get caught up in all the complex language I didn't understand, and just got the important stuff. Otherwise I would have had to ask people questions every five minutes.

I should attempt that again, and see if I understand it better now...
0 Replies