Infuriating Phrases Competition

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2007 02:19 am
The U.K. Telegraph recently solicited readers for their "most infuriating phrases." They held a contest, challenging readers to write short excerpts jam-packed with as many annoying clichés and catch phrases as they could. The newspaper printed what they saw as the 10 best entries... (see thread)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 754 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Shapeless

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2007 02:20 am
Barry Moyse wrote:
The Trust are committed to sharing best practice and passionate about facilitating appropriate skills through workshops and learning events around these issues across the piece. Monitoring using a web-based toolkit will empower users to drill down to assess local needs interactively. Stakeholders will be fully engaged in a consultation exercise breaking down barriers, pushing the envelope towards a seamless, one-stop shop service. Safety and value for money will be paramount so we are investing a funding stream to put in place a supportive multidisciplinary team to head up this exciting upcoming project, provide local ownership and robust clinical governance. Doing nothing is not an option: subject to independent review lessons will be learnt, accountability made transparent to commissioners, providers, and service-users to ensure that this tragedy will never happen again.

J. M. Johnson wrote:
To be honest with you, I'm pressurised 24/7. I'm literally in pieces. I surfed the net and sourced a top-dollar lifestyle guru, and he's working with my partner and I, prioritising issues so that we can team up and address them - know what I mean?

There's things that have to go on the back burner, so that we can jet away to the sun and chill to the max. A few drinks, a few laughs and I'll be firing on all cylinders, like I say. She'll shop until she drops - right? - but if that's what the little lady wants, that's what she'll get. We'll soak up the sun, go with the flow, and come back bronzed and fit.

Hopefully, by Christmas, we'll be sorted, and ready to party, party, party big-time - and spend some quality time with the kids, with the turkey and all the trimmings.

Andrew Macintosh and Mary Burdis wrote:
"At the end of the day," continued Simon, across a table of Eat's Now!, his favourite nutritional sustenance solutions establishment, "running things up the flagpole is essential to ensuring we are all singing from the same hymn sheet, so that the challenges of the present economic climate are met with emotional intelligence." He looked up to check Michelle was still listening. "Are you taking all this on board?"

"Confirmed."

The nutritional conveyance facilitator arrived.

"Chargrilled chicken, flash-fried vegetable compote and sun-dried tomatoes. Twice."

"Re-hydration, Sir?"

"Evian." Simon turned back to Michelle. "I'd like to run this by you." He pulled out a crumpled piece of paper. "Non-Plus-Ultra Surplus-to-Requirements Collection Solutions requires executive disposal facilitator to supervise own ring-fenced area of operations, apply in first instance blah blah blah. Thought-share?"

"Cutting edge, actually. Literally."

Simon smiled: "I always like to give a 110 per cent."

End of story.

Nick Godfrey wrote:
I hear what you're saying but, with all due respect, it's not exactly rocket science. Basically, at the end of the day, the fact of the matter is you have got to be able to tick all the boxes. It's not the end of the world, but, to be perfectly honest with you, when push comes to shove, you don't want to be literally stuck between a rock and a hard place. Going forward we need to be singing from the same songsheet but you can't see the wood from the trees. Naturally hindsight is 20/20 vision and you have to take the rough with the smooth before proceeding onwards and upwards. The bottom line is you wear your heart on your sleeve and, when all is said and done, this is all part and parcel of the ongoing bigger picture. C'est la vie (if you know what I mean).

Les Bolton wrote:
Hi, Basically, I was gobsmacked to have the opportunity to take on board your suggestion that I pen some lines? On the ground, you know, there are basically tons of dudes using English wrongly, but, basically, my single criteria is to expose language thats not fit for purpose? I guess, you know, thats what u r trying to do with this competition, yeah? Wicked. Basically, theres literally tons of words not used properly? But, you know, at this particular moment in time I want to look forward, not back, so we can move forward together? My particular skool was gr8, with teachers on the ground doing a brill job. Thats how come my English is so good? Kid's today basically ain't got a chance in hell? Untill we get the teachers we deserve the problem is basically a no-hoper. Cool. Basically, thats it, basically. ATB, Mr Les Bolton.

Veterator wrote:
The report into the crash said if there hadn't been an error on behalf of the lorry driver, less people would have been affected.When asked to explain, the driver said "No problem. I myself personally think there's no worries at this moment in time. The amount of people involved was not a lot. Whatever. Have a nice day."

His wife said "Oh my God ! Fantastic ! I'll always be there for him and, hey, I love him to bits and stuff like that. The view I had was amazing, but that's the way the cookie crumbles - the rest is history.

"The really really important thing is that we all sing from the same hymn sheet to deliver road safety to the people of this country.We are all guilty - see where I'm coming from?"

Irene and Andy Mitchell wrote:
Retirement has required a rigorous and robust reassessment of our core competencies, visions and values. Leveraged away from our work-stations, a raft of financial and strategic options underpins and overarches the reinvention of our lifestyle mission statement.

This has not been a seamless transition and does not locate us in a win-win situation per se. Restricted income generation has forced a realignment of our cost base, necessitating in-depth fire-fighting in order to deliver best value.

A re-evaluation of our methodologies has led to a sea-change. Tasked with delivering sustainable growth in our external horticultural environment, a work-in-progress encompasses benchmarking the broccoli, risk-assessing the radishes and applying change management principles to the diverse peripherals on the compost heap.

Our draft self-assessment analysis contains transparent aims and objectives to be brigaded on the terrace, applying joined-up thinking to transparently piloting the rioja, and developing synergies to enhance our contentment parameters.

B.D. Farrant wrote:
I don't do competitions. But, at the end of the day, little ol' moi just couldn't resist this challenge. Actually, there's a lot of weather about 2d and moseying down to the shops has soooooo lost its appeal. As a result, there's a window here to think outside the box. Yes, you've got it, it's a blue sky thinking moment. I mean, it's not rocket science, you know. True enough, but let's face facts here, this could so be my conduit to a whole new ball game. Awesome, or what? That's if the judges don't, like, move the goal posts.

My better half said "Give it large, kiddo. Give it some wellie. You know you want to!" Well, game on, I thought, like you do. This one's in the bag.

Steve Chrismatkin wrote:
personnel chairs cuts meeting
hi! many thanks for giving up your precious lunch break entitlement period. we just need to share a few positive thoughts in a negatively challenging situation where, due to financial restructuring, the scenario exists in which, owing to underperformance in target areas of our core business, a meltdown can be envisaged: even key personnel may have to be let go. Our own cost/benefit analysis of the ongoing target shortfall is that this predicament needs to be addressed proactively rather than focussed on bottom line rigidity which denies the social capital invested by our outreach commitment option facilitated by all the other departments. Solution: we have to push envelopes & vice versa. HRD exists to effectively appraise [sic] assess & recommend structural initiatives that empower staff & operatives to maximise self fulfilment to achieve targets along a steep learning curve before the tipping point is reached in which a raft of measures are [sic] overturned by corporate malfunction. An online update on a daily basis will follow. Muchas gracias, Steve Chrismatkin

R.G. Banks wrote:
Let's stop obsessing and get down to the nitty gritty of fleshing out the gender issues. John. I'm wanting to hear inclusiveness and ethnicity here. A raft of blue sky thinking to challenge accepted orthodoxies. The bottom line is about empowerment and at the end of the day getting up to speed working 24/7 towards a coalition of understanding through best practice. This can only be fully achieved if the glass ceiling, in inverted commas, is transformed into a level playing field where the goal posts cannot be moved without leaving a substantial carbon footprint which inevitably would consign us all to the expediency of existing between a rock and a hard place. We must pick up the ball and run because we can no longer wait for the smoking gun of the next denial of service attack to consign us all to the wheely bin of history.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2007 09:58 am
High-larious, Boss.
0 Replies