Could someone explain more? Rolling Eyes Thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 740 • Replies: 7
No top replies

username

Reply Sun 17 Jun, 2007 10:43 pm
They describe locations, more or less, in relation to the speaker. They can be actual physical location, or what you might call mental location, that is something your mental focus is on ("this") versus something your mental focus is not on ("that"). If you're standing next to a car, for example, you might say "this car is a Ford", pointing to it. If a car is, say, 50 meters away, you would say "That car is a Lexus". It's physically distant, so even tho you're mentally focussed on it you'd still probably describe it as "that car".

If I were to describe the topic we're currently on, the one we're focussing on, I'd say, "This topic is in the English section".
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 17 Jun, 2007 10:49 pm
Re: demonstrative as an adjectives.
navigator wrote:
Hi, I still don't get the complete picture about that, those, this, these when

used as adjectives. Where is the descriptive word in that? Example,

This beach was empty last Summer.

I don't get that " this" is an adjective and agree in number with the noun

here.

Could someone explain more? Rolling Eyes Thanks

Used like that (i.e.normally), I believe it is a pronoun, not an adjective. A demonstrative pronoun.

Where did you get adjective from?
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2007 12:28 am
No, Navigator is correct... it is a demonstrative adjective. It would be a demonstrative pronoun if "this" were being used as a substitution for some previously mentioned noun ("This was empty last summer.") But in Navigator's sentence, "this" is serving to modify "beach," so it is indeed a demonstrative adjective.

Navigator: in addition to Username's explanation, you should also note that "this" is the singular form of "these", while "that" is the singular form of "those."

This beach was empty last summer.
These beaches were empty last summer.

That beach was empty last summer.
Those beaches were empty last summer.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2007 01:08 am
okay. Thank you.
0 Replies

navigator

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2007 02:58 am
username wrote:
They describe locations, more or less, in relation to the speaker. They can be actual physical location, or what you might call mental location, that is something your mental focus is on ("this") versus something your mental focus is not on ("that"). If you're standing next to a car, for example, you might say "this car is a Ford", pointing to it. If a car is, say, 50 meters away, you would say "That car is a Lexus". It's physically distant, so even tho you're mentally focussed on it you'd still probably describe it as "that car".

If I were to describe the topic we're currently on, the one we're focussing on, I'd say, "This topic is in the English section".

Thanks username, this is new to me mental and physical locations. I'd like to learn more, and I'll try my best.
0 Replies

navigator

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2007 03:03 am
Shapeless wrote:
No, Navigator is correct... it is a demonstrative adjective. It would be a demonstrative pronoun if "this" were being used as a substitution for some previously mentioned noun ("This was empty last summer.") But in Navigator's sentence, "this" is serving to modify "beach," so it is indeed a demonstrative adjective.

Navigator: in addition to Username's explanation, you should also note that "this" is the singular form of "these", while "that" is the singular form of "those."

This beach was empty last summer.
These beaches were empty last summer.

That beach was empty last summer.
Those beaches were empty last summer.

Thanks Shapeless , I know the use of these demonstrative as nouns. I

know that an adjective must describe something like brave, strong et . I

still don't get it why we say about them adjectives in some sentences,

though I don't see them describe anything.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2007 03:09 am
navigator wrote:
I still don't get it why we say about them adjectives in some sentences, though I don't see them describe anything.

I think I understand your confusion. It is true that demonstrative adjectives don't seem to be "describing" things--they are not attributing properties to nouns in the same way that "strong" or "green" do--but they still serve the purpose of qualifying nouns. They are words that are attached to nouns for the purpose of adding more information (as Username pointed out, demonstrative adjectives convey information about the distance or proximity of the noun being modified; they also convey specificity--not just any beach, but this beach), and so in that sense they are still adjectives. In this situation you have to think of adjectives not as words that describe nouns, but as words that simply modify or qualify nouns.
0 Replies