Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 12:30 pm
A Boston Globe article by Penelope Trunk explains about six work myths - which I'll list here. To see her explanations about them, check the Article HERE.

I see some of her points, perhaps not all.
What do you think?

Lead in to the article -
6 myths about work
By Penelope Trunk | June 10, 2007

Each generation revolutionizes something. Today's younger generation is revolutionizing work. The goals people have, their values and opportunities have all changed drastically in the last 10 years. The new workplace demands new rules for success, yet people continue to get outdated advice based on persistent workplace myths.
These myths about today's workplace are adapted from my new book, Brazen Careerist: The New Rules for Success.

#1. Job hopping ruins your resume.
#2. Getting a promotion is good for you.
#3. You'll be happier if you have a job you like.
#4. The glass ceiling still exists.
#5. Going to grad school open doors.
#6. Work hard and good things will come
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 967 • Replies: 4
No top replies

littlek

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 01:26 pm
#1 - Job Hopping: I think young workers came of age during or after studies detailing the 7-year itch. Plus, work-place loyalty has tanked, to some degree, because of the decline in a variety of benefits.

#2 - Promotions: one of the problems with promotions these days is that they are often not accompanied with pay raises.

#3 - Happier with a job you like is a myth? Hnh. <shrug>

#4 - The glass ceiling is a myth? ditto previous.

#5 - Going to grad school: once going to college put you way ahead of the crown, then it become commonplace. Same thing with grad school. On the other hand, education may be less important in general. I know a few people who are well off with college or high school diplomas alone.

#6 - Work hard...... well, I can speak from experience here! Osso, you know how hard I work. I think workers are rewarded for hard work less often these days than in the past. I had one job where the boss said I did such a good job of it that he didn't want to promote me - who could possibly fill my shoes? I put an end to that silly logic.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 01:30 pm
On number 3 -- I don't know if a person is happier if they have a job they like, but I do believe they do a better job if they like what they do and get to do it in a positive atmosphere.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 01:38 pm
Re: Myths about work
#1. Job hopping ruins your resume.

Define "job hopping." Less than 6 months at a series of jobs, bad. A few careers over a decade or so, not a problem.

#2. Getting a promotion is good for you.

This one I see, I think. A promotion often means more stress. I wouldn't generalize it to myth status though -- there are lot of promotions that are indeed good for the promotee.

#3. You'll be happier if you have a job you like.

I agree with what JPB said here. I do think that people are more LIKELY to be happier if the like their job as opposed to hating it, but I see the point that good job doesn't equal being happy per se.

#4. The glass ceiling still exists.

Hmm. I've talked before about the fact that I think women generally (generally!) place more of an emphasis on having a life. So I think they are generally (!) more likely to make choices that keep them out of life-robbing top management type positions. But there is definitely still sexism, too.

#5. Going to grad school open doors.

Sure it does. Depends on the field -- in some fields it's an absolute requirement, in others it doesn't mean much. I don't think it's a myth though.

#6. Work hard and good things will come.

Is NOT a myth! Of course it varies, but that was totally my experience, and not so long ago.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 01:40 pm
Well, I agree with both of you.

On liking the job, I think it matters to well being in the long run, but various aspects can contribute to liking a job, from one's enjoying the tasks and possible creative elements, or relationships with clients, or, of course, not enjoying those. That combined with poor or good environment, re the physical or psychological aspects of the workplace, also matter over time, to me.

On glass ceiling, I think that just because less people, women or men, desire to break through it now doesn't mean it isn't still there. But I'm not aware of statistics one way or the other.
0 Replies