Rules for marriage?

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2003 11:10 am
Are there rules in your marriage?

I'd like to start this with a short story. Early in our marriage, I had to go to Morgantown for an educational conference. I came home in the afternoon to pack and when I looked in the closet, I had no suits. I asked Linda where they were and she said she took them all to the cleaners. I was hot.

She just left the kitchen and walked out to the barn. Having to have the last word, I stammered and yelled out "You've got (pause) peanut butter for brains!" I found a jacket and slacks; packed and left.

Several months later, I went out to the barn to feed the horses and in the stalls were new feed boxes. I kept putting the task off and she was impatient. I walked into the kitchen and told her that the feed boxes looked nice and asked her if Mac (our neighbor) had come over and built them.

She said, "No, I got your tools out and did it myself."

I told her that they looked "Great!"

She replied, "Pretty good for someone who has peanut butter for brains, huh!"

We laughed!

Our rule has always been, "Never say anything to your wife or husband that you can't take back! If Linda remembered the "peanut butter for brains" remark for almost a year, think how long she would have remembered a really caustic remark?

Do any of you have "Rules?"
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,835 • Replies: 17
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2003 11:34 am
One we try to stick to is "never go to sleep angry." We really try to resolve anything right then. It's hoary advice -- not original at all -- but we definitely have noticed that it's SO difficult to bring something up later. Like, you're fighting, you go to sleep, you feel better the next day, WHY go back to fighting? So the issue isn't resolved, and just comes back and bites you in the butt a bit later.
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2003 11:41 am
Rules for marriage ?????????????? what rules ?????????

Have a rummage thru this bunch >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

http://www.ananova.com/news/index.html?keywords=Rocky+relationships&nav_src=more_on
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2003 11:41 am
um well what comes to mind is LISTEN
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2003 11:55 am
There ain't no such animal in our house! c.i.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2003 11:57 am
Don't.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2003 02:02 pm
Show up.
Be there.
Be present.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2003 02:25 pm
wE MAKE IT UP AS WE GO. ci
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2003 02:29 pm
CI == you heard the old jole ? there are only 2 things a husband can do wrong. Everything he does & everything he says
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2003 05:30 pm
Only two? I guess American women are more imaginative then their British sisters. LOL c.i.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2003 05:31 pm
We're wrong when we don't do anything! Wink
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2003 06:49 pm
"the rules they keep a'changing." there is a good old saying in german " man muss erst mal die hoerner abstossen" - VERY loosely translated " the horns (of the battling partners) will wear down in time" - and both parties will look back at some of the funny occurences that may have caused great distress in the past. do 47 years of experience count ? hbg
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2003 07:15 pm
47 years! Very Happy

maybe you can offer edgarblythe some advice on how to celebrate a 25th/silver anniversary, hamburger. he's got a thread on the topic just around here.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 10:46 pm
A corollary to Dys' advice - TALK
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2003 09:47 am
Interesting...Dys (male) says, "Listen." Osso (female) says, "Talk."

In my own experience, men are good at listening, but not-so-good at talking about the important things. Most women I know are good at talking about pretty much everything, but don't always listen.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2003 09:48 am
Wink
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2003 11:03 pm
Does the wink mean you've had similar experiences, Dys?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2003 11:05 pm
Well, I have, Eva!
0 Replies