A guide dog is reportedly helping to lead the church hymns

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 09:59 am
All creatures great and small
Ananova
6/16/07

A guide dog is reportedly helping to lead the hymns every Sunday at a Welsh chapel.

Teddy the golden retriever has become a member of the small congregation at Rehoboth in Five Roads, near Llanelli, where he is adding his bark to the singing.

The five-year-old has been attending services with his carer Nona Rees since February but in the last month he has started to play a more vocal role.

Mrs Rees told the BBC that the dog only joins with the rousing hymns and often takes a break to sleep during sermons.

She has been looking after the golden retriever while his owner recovers from illness.

"Everywhere I go he goes," she said. "He just used to put his head down and sleep but then one day started to join in - I did not know where to look."

But she said other members of the congregation seemed quite happy with the extra voice so he has continued attending on Sundays ever since.

"It's not every hymn - its the faster ones and the higher ones he joins in," added Mrs Rees

"He's a lovely working guide dog and I will be very sorry to see him go when he returns to his owner."

Chapel organist Jim Jones added: "We are only a small chapel - usually there are less than 20 of us - but they are all singing a bit louder so they can be heard over Teddy."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 455 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Miller

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 12:19 pm
The golden retriever...is there a nicer dog anywhere?
0 Replies

Magginkat

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 10:33 am
By George, that has to be better than most of the people I have known who tried to lead a choir!!
0 Replies