with glistening attentiveness

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 08:34 am
How do you understand this "glistening" here? I don't have any real context.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 670 • Replies: 10
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 08:37 am
Why don't you? (Have any context...)

Always hard without context, but I'd say it's something to do with eyes. (Sparkling, glistening eyes of someone who is transported.) It gives me an image of a young woman who is a little bit star-struck listening attentively to an older professor-type or famous author or celebrity or something.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 11:14 am
I agree with Sozobe, but I'd add that I suspect the glistening listener is also an ostentatious listener, conspicuously hanging on every word.
0 Replies

literarypoland

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 12:43 pm
Thanks. Another stumbling block cleared. These are, as I call them, "problems of the second order", which means that I was sure I would find the answer in a dictionary or on the Internet, only to be later proved over-confident.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 01:00 pm
Literarypoland--

I admire a man with priorities.
0 Replies

literarypoland

Reply Sun 17 Jun, 2007 01:27 pm
I mean these several recent questions. The earlier ones (this year) were problems of the first order.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 17 Jun, 2007 06:31 pm
Well, I haven't followed the many threads, seems like one for each phrase, so I don't understand the context of the thread questions. Within the last few threads, the word usage isn't at all usual to me, whether or not it was used in Jane Eyre or makes a kind of splendid sense. Rather free with word usage and word play myself, I'm not against that - I'm just noticing that the words together tend to stop me. Glistening attentiveness?? A clever person writing this playing with the word listening together with attentiveness, having really nothing to do with the g except making listening a possible interesting adjective - more to do with the poetic sound? as opposed to meaning the trait of someone shimmering and giving off glints of light while paying attention?

Makes me wonder about the author's background, which I presume you don't want to explain, Literarypoland.
0 Replies

literarypoland

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2007 12:53 pm
No problem. This author is an opera reviewer Smile
0 Replies

Twigs

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 12:12 am
Without context it's hard to say, but it seems like the writer was trying to dress up an adjective that rarely needs extra clothing.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 06:59 am
Twigs--

Good thought.

Welcome to A2K.
0 Replies

Twigs

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 12:55 pm
Thanks Noddy, this is my first experience on a site like this one so I'm excited about all the new things I'm going to learn here. Smile
0 Replies