Do you have a special way of saying ...

fansy

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 07:31 am
Sometimes people dine out, each paying for his own fare? How do you say that in English?

A man is working for organization A. Now he is temporarily asked to work for organization B for a period of say, 6 months; during this period he is still paid by organization A. Do you also have a special way of saying that in English?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 610 • Replies: 8
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 07:39 am
Re: Do you have a special way of saying ...
fansy wrote:
Sometimes people dine out, each paying for his own fare? How do you say that in English?

A man is working for organization A. Now he is temporarily asked to work for organization B for a period of say, 6 months; during this period he is still paid by organization A. Do you also have a special way of saying that in English?

a. Going Dutch, or Dutch treat.... (but it is an American expression, really.)

b. Secondment, perhaps?

Although, in the secondments I am familiar with, company B pays, but the person returns to company A at the end of the secondment, so this may not be the right word.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 07:49 am
just a side note.

although most americans know what "going dutch" means, I can not recall any time in my life where I actually heard someone use that expression while going out.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 10:29 am
Chai--

Last weekend a friend and I agreed to eat Indian and go Dutch. Perhaps the expression is both regional and generational?
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 10:45 am
I agree Chai. Most people just call it splitting the check.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 10:57 am
I've always called it "Dutch".

For the second one I think I'd use "subcontract".

Quote:
sub·con·tract -noun 1. a contract by which one agrees to render services or to provide materials necessary for the performance of another contract.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 11:14 am
mmm....from the responses of noddy, mac and boom, must be regional.

I stand corrected.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 02:28 pm
I went to dinner just the other night. My friend told the waitress, "We are Dutch tonight."

I don't know of a word for the other situation... subcontract almost fits but not quite. Company B might subcontract some work done from Company A, but that person would be paid by Company B.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 02:42 pm
As for the second problem: "On loan to"?
0 Replies